Sam Houston State (12/10/11)

CMJ

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

We just can't shoot the ball off the screen. Teams are able to pressure our perimeter because they don't respect us in the paint. Not to put everything on Tony but he will make a huge impact by forcing people to respect us inside.

Good crowd tonight! Students were very vocal and started chants regularly. I wish we played more consistently, but when we're on it's so much fun to watch. Jordan Williams' dunk was awesome and really got the crowd going. See you guys at the next game!

Im just wishing we had redshirted Norris and Robinson both... but here is too hoping next year we red shirt them along with Overlander. ,

Lineup:

Jones, Williams, Mitchel, Holmon, Niko

Bench:

Alzee, Walton, Franklin, Patton, Udoh.... a walk on or two....

We have to many players that need more minutes to produce as is this year! A solid 8 to 10 man rotation would really turn the chemistry around. Especially next year!

• Upvote 1

Im just wishing we had redshirted Norris and Robinson both... but here is too hoping next year we red shirt them along with Overlander. ,

Lineup:

Bench:

We have to many players that need more minutes to produce as is this year! A solid 8 to 10 man rotation would really turn the chemistry around. Especially next year!

We need Norris now. It would have been nice if Robinson could have redshirted, but he will just have to learn on the job. Neither of them are going to redshirt for their sophomore seasons after playing as freshmen.

great game...3300....don't think so...but whatever they say, i'm good with. close game all the way through...good time at the game...great north, texas chant!!!

There may not have been 3300 people there, but I think it was comprable to announced crowds of the same size in the past.

We need Norris now. It would have been nice if Robinson could have redshirted, but he will just have to learn on the job. Neither of them are going to redshirt for their sophomore seasons after playing as freshmen.

It has happened before... and then again next year we will just be overloaded and not have great chemistry.

That or play a main 6 guys like we did last and sit the likes of franklin niko and patton etc...

Having 15 great guys on a team is not always the best...

• Upvote 1

These are the three things that most impressed me about tonight's game:

1. The basketball pep band is the best it has ever been....they keep the spirit going and are fun to watch and listen too....they were great at last night's women's game also

2. The students were also great tonight...lots of them and very vocal...I noticed RV gave them recognition toward the end of the game...we just need to get these same students out to support the women's team

3. The massive dunk by Jordan Williams...I can't remember seeing a more impressive one in my 45 years of watching UNT basketball....it was just tremendous! Came with about 9 minutes left in the game and really got the crowd into it after that show

GMG and good luck to the Mean Green Ladies tomorrow afternoon...they have another tough opponent on the road

I do also not understand why after so many years Johnny does not go to a zone defense!!!!! His teams have never defended the three well and this is the worst! Man to man will get you beat from the 3 point line all day long if the other team plays their cards right.

• Upvote 1

Lineup:

Bench:

Could Robinson and Norris both get medical redshirts?

Don't count on Patton being around. I hope that happens, but it's a long time till next year.

I do also not understand why after so many years Johnny does not go to a zone defense!!!!! His teams have never defended the three well and this is the worst! Man to man will get you beat from the 3 point line all day long if the other team plays their cards right.

So will a zone? In fact, if a team is shooting well, zone defenses are easier to exploit from beyond the arc.

Only Chris Jones Impressed..... You take him out of the game and we go on a scoring drought. You put him in the game and we are clicking on all cylinders again and at least keep up with SHSU

Niko came up big a couple times. He looked impressive.

SHSU isn't a great offensive team, but defense wasn't our problem tonight. We couldn't score.

Also, did you see our zone last year? It worked pretty well. Johnny uses zone, just not as exclusively as some would like, it seems.

Niko came up big a couple times. He looked impressive.

YESSSS I am so happy he finally decide to take that three.... that is his game. He needs to be a pick and pop person. He sets some hard screens and is good both the 3 ball and taking it to the lane and drawing the foul.

• Upvote 1

.... someone needs to do some learning....

go check out coachesclipboard google it, learn something my friend... its extremely useful

If that's not the most pompous post in the world I don't know what is.

From your own link, I quote.

Zone Defense

Zone defense is different from man-to-man defense in that, instead of guarding a particular player, each zone defender is responsible for guarding an area of the floor, or "zone", and any offensive player that comes into that area. Zone defenders move their position on the floor in relationship to where the ball moves. Their are advantages and disadvantages of zone defenses. For example, you can often stop dribble-penetration and protect the paint with a 2-3 zone, but you give up some pressure on the outside. See "Zone Defense" for details. Zone defenses can be categorized based on the defensive "set" that you use (2-3, 1-2-2, 3-2, 1-3-1, etc). Rebounding out of a zone defense is also important. See Zone Defense Rebounding

.... someone needs to do some learning....

go check out coachesclipboard google it, learn something my friend... its extremely useful

What are you talking about?

A team with 3 point accuracy that's even remotely decent at passing the ball will always destroy a zone defense.

Either your "zone" consists of a defender assigned to every offensive player (i.e.: NOT A ZONE), or quick perimeter passing eventually creates an open look.