Once Again The Loyal Customers Take it Up The Rear

FirefightnRick

I take my vacation around this football schedule a year in advance and plan accordingly for every home game working family schedules so that we can make kickoff times.

I've already missed one game and was late to another. Now I'll miss the first half of another because the kickoff was moved up and it's too late to make the necessary changes.

It's just another example of a growing list in how little this athletic departmentt cares about it's loyal, investing customers, who hasn't seen more than three wins in a single year in 5 years, but who will be counted on to show up in November once the season is way out of hand.

Rick

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I take my vacation around this football schedule a year in advance and plan accordingly for every home game working family schedules so that we can make kickoff times.

I've already missed one game and was late to another. Now I'll miss the first half of another because the kickoff was moved up and it's too late to make the necessary changes.

It's just another example of a growing list in how little this athletic departmentt cares about it's loyal, investing customers, who hasn't seen more than three wins in a single year in 5 years, but who will be counted on to show up in November once the season is way out of hand.

Rick

I am so disappointed in this move. Stupid call!! Yet again, someone continues to say we are back seat, second best, under par!! If we can't make decisions that say we believe in ourselves and stand for something, why in the world do we expect others to do anything different. Denton and the Metroplex don't believe in us because we don't! believe in ourselves. Who cares about the Rangers first game. Divo it rocket scientist!! This is UNT football!! Why can't we believe its worth watching?? It starts with us folks.I don't get emotional often, I'm just fed up but not giving up!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yay...another personal anecdote.

I'm sorry Rick, and every one else who has been sharing their own tales of woe...maybe the AD should personally consult you before every decision they make (I'm sure some of you would be wonderful recruiters)...but I don't see how anyone can look at the attendance at the FAU game and then not objectively understand UNT's place in the Metroplex pecking order. We're clearly an after-thought, even on campus...saying so doesn't make me less of a UNT homer (brought my lap-top to a friend's dinner party last week and was nearly 100% anti-social for the first 2 hours of the party).

The AD and administration have to be pragmatic...the allure of a local World Series game right now is greater than that of a 2-5 football team. This move will bring more students. And while this move will apparently also inconvenience some Alumni, most of you on here know damn well you're gonna be in Denton at 10am and this will really only affect how drunk you get. Hell, maybe sobriety will help give the alumni side a bit more pep.

Yay, another smartass dismissing of my concerns by another person who it doesn't affect one damn bit. Not because he's single without children who have games on saturdays and can change his schedule at a whim, even if the local paper previously repeating the athletic department saying the time wouldnt change, but because he lives on the east coast.

Just great!!!!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 13

Yay, another smartass dismissing of my concerns by another person who it doesn't affect one damn bit. Not because he's single without children who have games on saturdays and can change his schedule at a whim, even if the local paper previously repeating the athletic department saying the time wouldnt change change, but because he lives on the east coast.

Just great!!!!

Rick

I am so diappointed in this embryonic call I need to step back from the key board. I may be back later unless I am censored which may be a good thing!!

even though I think this schedule change is about as important and impactful as a fart into a pillow, I'll just say that if it's either/or, I'd rather have to miss a game/come late personally and NT have decent attendance and avoid a FAU situation instead of getting to make it and we have 12k.... but that's just me.

Vito likes the move, every random unaffiliated spare I've talked to sees it as a smart, common sense no-brainer, and even if we have a few people hurt individually by the situation (which I feel for, I really do) the argument can not be made that this will HURT overall attendance... so if can only HELP NT overall, then..... why the issues?

so we bitch because of a game when the world series is on, now we bitch because a game is moved up...make up your mind about what to bitch about!

I've never been unclear about where my grounding is. I couldn't care less about the Rangers when it comes to the Mean Green. If you don't believe in UNT who else will???

Are you drunk right now? I'll go ahead and ignore the ridiculousness of this post and give reason one last shot. After that its full on smart ass.

Look Rick...I said I'm sorry that you're inconvenienced and will miss a part of the game. I truly am. But the stance you're taking is essentially that you're upset that Rick Villareal didn't call you to see how this move affects you and your family's schedule personally..."hey Rick, it's Rick...so I'm thinking of bumping up the game time to 4PM...does that still gel with your plans? If not, we can just keep it at 6...whatever is best for you, buddy."

The move is bigger than YOU...and it's bigger than any of the handful of fans on here who this inconveniences. The AD made what it felt was a pragmatic decision to maximizes attendance...and it did so knowing full well that it will negatively affect SOME plans, but is gambling on it positively affecting MORE plans.

I doubt the move would've been made had the FAU game not also been up against a Ranger game and had such a poor showing. But there is now an established precedent for what attendance looks like in competition with a Rangers' playoff game. 13K for Homecoming in the 4th game of a new stadium would be highly embarrassing.

And this decision makes a big statement that undersells our program. That may be more than you can understand. Sorry about that!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

Are you drunk right now? I'll go ahead and ignore the ridiculousness of this post and give reason one last shot. After that its full on smart ass.

Look Rick...I said I'm sorry that you're inconvenienced and will miss a part of the game. I truly am. But the stance you're taking is essentially that you're upset that Rick Villareal didn't call you to see how this move affects you and your family's schedule personally..."hey Rick, it's Rick...so I'm thinking of bumping up the game time to 4PM...does that still gel with your plans? If not, we can just keep it at 6...whatever is best for you, buddy."

The move is bigger than YOU...and it's bigger than any of the handful of fans on here who this inconveniences. The AD made what it felt was a pragmatic decision to maximizes attendance...and it did so knowing full well that it will negatively affect SOME plans, but is gambling on it positively affecting MORE plans.

I doubt the move would've been made had the FAU game not also been up against a Ranger game and had such a poor showing. But there is now an established precedent for what attendance looks like in competition with a Rangers' playoff game. 13K for Homecoming in the 4th game of a new stadium would be highly embarrassing.

Big button pusher you!

There are members of my family that are likely inconvenienced by the earlier kick-off just like you Rick.

Your Mom and Dad and brother and his wife isn't here dismissing my concerns for theirs. You are! Whether they make it or not doesn't affect you in the least!

Thanks for the support though, friend!

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

And this decision makes a big statement that undersells our program. That may be more than you can understand. Sorry about that!

There's no way in knowing what the numbers would be for sure as CBL (I believe)stated early in the thread. However, would you rather have:

A)Not moving gametime, sticking to our guns (ie "we're bigtime, we don't move for anything!") -- 12K fans show up

B)Moving the gametime, admitting "defeat" (underselling ourselves, or whatever other negative moniker you want to label it) ----- 17K people show up

And...

haters_gonna_hate3.jpg

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That pic is freaking hilarious.

I wont be making the game now because of the early kickoff. Committed to going to a family member's birthday party at that time. But I'm definitely not pissed about it. I think it's cool they're accommodating the Ranger game.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

God forbid we ever become a respectable football program. What about the alums at the big schools that pay way more than MG season ticket holders do and the game time gets changed? The uproar over two hours is crazy. What sucks for RV is that when 15k show up, people on here will say there would have been 20k without the time change. I support his decision and have to think that he is much more well versed on the subject and knowledge that went into the decision than any of you. Thanks for your effort, RV.....I mean that.

Edited by EdwardRRooney
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Okay, what is the source of this arbitrary "5,000" number that everyone keeps throwing around?

If 2 hours = 5,000 people, I'll go on record and say I support moving the game to 11am for the sell-out. Maybe the B1G conference had it right all along. Clever AAU schools!

Most division one programs get their times moved all the time because of national TV broadcasts and how the teams are doing. If you really want us to aim higher and get better, we're going to get rescheduled all the time.

Now please, continue.

Can't...

Look...

Away...

tumblr_lq5ii6vLzv1qh066ho1_500.gif

• Upvote 2

Most division one programs get their times moved all the time because of national TV broadcasts and how the teams are doing. If you really want us to aim higher and get better, we're going to get rescheduled all the time.

Now please, continue.

Can't...

Look...

Away...

This, this, this!

Okay, what is the source of this arbitrary "5,000" number that everyone keeps throwing around?

If 2 hours = 5,000 people, I'll go on record and say I support moving the game to 11am for the sell-out. Maybe the B1G conference had it right all along. Clever AAU schools!

I think the 5K is just an arbitrary figure tossed out there to simplify the argument. There's really no way of knowing if the move works though...unless we create an alternate universe where the game is played at 6, as well as the 4pm it will be in our present universe, however if we're going to that sort of meta-physical effort I'd rather just have UNT be good enough to not be affected by the Ranger game to begin with.

Everyone I've told about the move has been 100% onboard. Can't wait to see the looks on their faces when i break the news that they've been sodimized by the AD once again.

:lol:

Aren't 90 % of the people who show up to the games already there 2 hours before kickoff anyways ?

• Upvote 3

Now please, continue.

Can't...

Look...

Away...

Best Lovitz: Master Thespian, the Liar, or Annoying Man? ANSWER THE HARD QUESTIONS!

I think the 5K is just an arbitrary figure tossed out there to simplify the argument. There's really no way of knowing if the move works though...unless we create an alternate universe where the game is played at 6, as well as the 4pm it will be in our present universe, however if we're going to that sort of meta-physical effort I'd rather just have UNT be good enough to not be affected by the Ranger game to begin with.

I think your lack of willingness to at least explore the creation of a parallel universe says a lot about the state of this program.

• Upvote 3