North Texas v Louisiana Tech (1/22/14)

CMJ

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

"If LA Tech play better in the first half we lose this" - maybe they didn't play well because UNT made it difficult? I'm all for saying that perhaps LA Tech came out assuming it was a gimme win (who wouldn't with the run we've been on?) but lets give credit where it's due - the players showed up and we got an unexpected result. Pretty much like the Creighton game.

I bet Benford is going nuts trying to figure it out but if the players are inconsistent that's on preparation - and that's on the coach.

• Upvote 4

For the record....when we were up by 20 I still said we lose this game

So....really...how'd that work out for you? Ha! I think everyone was thinking the same thing, but these guys fed off the fans and hung in there tonight. If you were there you saw Jordan extolling the fans late in the second half and you heard the fans respond. Great to see a few...few...students back to help the cep rowed and the noise. Had a couple of loud and crazy guys up by us tonight...made for some great cheering and comic relief.

Great game to attend tonight. It's about time...team earned this one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

And I owe super Homer Andrew an apology. People came, we shot better, we win. For the life of me we lose to charlotte, and beat this team?

I am Just quoting what has been said by a few players. They enjoy playing in front of a crowd. It truly helps them play harder! If fans show up and we beat USM and Rice we make it to 10-10 and its a whole new season.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Looking at our scheduale we could go 10-2 to finish ito ut if fans show up and we play well at home. I see us losing to WKU and UTEPS on the road but if we pAck the pit we can finish strong! Teams like marshall and the Florida achools should not be difficult on the road. Maybe it's a pipe dream but still possible.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Best North Texas basketball game/atmosphere I have witnessed to this point in the Benford era. Make no mistake, he needs to go, but still a great win/atmosphere. If you didn't make this game you missed a good one.

On a disgruntled note, aside from the students/band the crowd is pretty bad. There were about 4-5 blatant bad calls in the 2nd half and I was the only one seemingly bitching about it. Our crowd has to heckle more. When in an important under 3-minute stretch in a close game we, the fans, have to give it hell. People started catching on and getting on their feet partly bc in mid play Jordan asked for it.

Combs is going to be a star. Best pure basketball player I have personally seen in green. He needs to hone a couple parts of his game, but his ceiling is legitimately a NBA roster. Combs might be the best athlete at North Texas, period.

We need to come out in waves next game. We are a middle of the pack CUSA team with IMO, top tier CUSA talent (cough, cough). With a PG this team could shine, and that includes next year after losing Jordan.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Best North Texas basketball game/atmosphere I have witnessed to this point in the Benford era. Make no mistake, he needs to go, but still a great win/atmosphere. If you didn't make this game you missed a good one.

On a disgruntled note, aside from the students/band the crowd is pretty bad. There were about 4-5 blatant bad calls in the 2nd half and I was the only one seemingly bitching about it. Our crowd has to heckle more. When in an important under 3-minute stretch in a close game we, the fans, have to give it hell. People started catching on and getting on their feet partly bc in mid play Jordan asked for it.

Combs is going to be a star. Best pure basketball player I have personally seen in green. He needs to hone a couple parts of his game, but his ceiling is legitimately a NBA roster. Combs might be the best athlete at North Texas, period.

We need to come out in waves next game. We are a middle of the pack CUSA team with IMO, top tier CUSA talent (cough, cough). With a PG this team could shine, and that includes next year after losing Jordan.

Hey...where were you sitting? Have a young lady with you? A couple of guys sitting near us were doing a great job hitting on the refs and were pretty darn vocal most of the game. Greatness! Maybe one was you? Where did you sit?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

serious question Ben, how long have you been watching North Texas basketball... trying to get an idea of what you've seen...

• Upvote 4

serious question Ben, how long have you been watching North Texas basketball... trying to get an idea of what you've seen...

JJ's last year I started attending games. I may just be saying this about the atmosphere bc of the lack thereof for so long. But, yeah, this is my fourth bball season.
  • Upvote 1

Hey...where were you sitting? Have a young lady with you? A couple of guys sitting near us were doing a great job hitting on the refs and were pretty darn vocal most of the game. Greatness! Maybe one was you? Where did you sit?

I sat and usually do sit 15 rows or so up behind our bench pending my temper that day. Tonight I was there though, gray North Texas sweatshirt.
  • Upvote 1

Yeah. I don't know about that. Hard to call a guy who is 6'6" and doesn't dribble or shoot outside of the paint the best pure basketball player we've had. Mitchell was twice the talent Combs is, and could do a lot more (led Sun Belt in 3pt%, blocks/game as a freshman). But Combs is a stud. He just isn't anywhere near big enough to play in the NBA, and he isn't a 2 or a 3. But at least that means we get to have him for 4 years. He's really starting to step up against D1 competition now.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"If LA Tech play better in the first half we lose this" - maybe they didn't play well because UNT made it difficult? I'm all for saying that perhaps LA Tech came out assuming it was a gimme win (who wouldn't with the run we've been on?) but lets give credit where it's due - the players showed up and we got an unexpected result. Pretty much like the Creighton game.

I bet Benford is going nuts trying to figure it out but if the players are inconsistent that's on preparation - and that's on the coach.

It pretty much went down exactly how the Creighton game played out. Stellar first half then a mind numbing, hair pulling, barely squeak out a win second half. All season long this team has got to do better in the second half of its games.

• Upvote 1

Yeah. I don't know about that. Hard to call a guy who is 6'6" and doesn't dribble or shoot outside of the paint the best pure basketball player we've had. Mitchell was twice the talent Combs is, and could do a lot more (led Sun Belt in 3pt%, blocks/game as a freshman). But Combs is a stud. He just isn't anywhere near big enough to play in the NBA, and he isn't a 2 or a 3. But at least that means we get to have him for 4 years. He's really starting to step up against D1 competition now.

Tony Mitchell was an athlete playing basketball. A selfish athlete at that. Combs, if properly trained, will put on a lot of weight. He needs to fine tune his jump shot, FT, etc. but he rebounds like he's 6'10" over actual 6'10" guys. He's the best raw talent I have seen, including Mitchell.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I sat and usually do sit 15 rows or so up behind our bench pending my temper that day. Tonight I was there though, gray North Texas sweatshirt.

Well...I think you were one of the two guys I was talking about. You did a great job! Need more fans like you really getting into the games. That used to be me, but I am a bit old for that, but I do my best. There was another guy with a young lady a row or two behind you that was also doing a pretty good job...except when he came out loudly with a few four letter words...not cool, but he was giving the refs heck.

Great job, Ben....thanks for being there to support these players...and for really getting into the game. One of the best games to witness in person in a long time.

Now...those here who now discount the Creighton win can figure out how to discredit this one. Gonna be a tad hard as La Tech was 4-0 in conference and 14-4 .... Now 14-5 over all. But, am sure they will try.

• Upvote 1