Middle Tennessee State (2/14/15)

Travis Scott

Couldn't make the game being sick but was fun to watch on-line. The great Dave Barnett with the call. 3rd biggest comeback win in school history.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

We had four players of any significance that year a ton of busts and injuries. Walton was out and our freshman were terrible. Holman and CJ were injured but for the minutes and games played they produced pretty well. We had Jordan, Tony, Roger, and Alzee and that's it.

Senior Jordan is greater than Sophmore Jordan

Combs is a better college player than Mitchell (not hard for anyone who sits around us at the games to see)

Collin and Roger would be pretty even to me though Roger left it all on the floor so I could give the edge to Roger.

Alzee is more consistent than Mo, TJ, and Deandure but over all TJ and Deandre are better all around players when they have it together and are healthy.

If this team played the team from 2012 on their best day it would be close but I would give the 2014 team the slight advantage. If it was a game where Patton, CJ! and Holman were injured then 2014 wins all day. This team is deep and has very good players.

I think a lot of people over look our players this year. Last Year CJ was asked who is the best player on the team and guess who it was? Not Alzee, not jordan.... TJ Taylor. This year Jordan is defiantly the man, but guys like TJ and Deandre are underated.

There was a reason people around the country were so high on that team. It's because of the talent. You arguing this makes you look like an imbecile, sorry to say. I do not use that term lightly either.

Now this team is better than that one. That squad had a much higher ceiling though....which is why most of us have never totally forgiven Benford.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

No way in hell is this team more talented than three years ago.

They are playing better than that team though. That was such a massive face plant, I still can't get over it.

Could it have been the one minute substitution patterns being run by a rookie head coach that ran that team in complete panic mode all year?

Na...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

Maybe Combs will get drafted.

I love Combs. He's one of may favorites and will remain so as long as he's here, but he has a TON of work to do before he would be considered a draft prospect.

He needs to hit his FTs.

He needs to develop a jump shot.

Those are just two things he needs to get close to even being in the conversation. More importantly if he gets those two things he will be first team all conference his last two years here with a shot at POY.

Combs is going to keep stuffing the stat sheet, but the NBA is going to overlook all of that because he doesn't fit the body type for his game and there just aren't that many draft slots to begin with.

Enjoy the next three years of Combs, I know I will.

• Upvote 5

I love Combs. He's one of may favorites and will remain so as long as he's here, but he has a TON of work to do before he would be considered a draft prospect.

He needs to hit his FTs.

He needs to develop a jump shot.

Those are just two things he needs to get close to even being in the conversation. More importantly if he gets those two things he will be first team all conference his last two years here with a shot at POY.

Combs is going to keep stuffing the stat sheet, but the NBA is going to overlook all of that because he doesn't fit the body type for his game and there just aren't that many draft slots to begin with.

Enjoy the next three years of Combs, I know I will.

He has a great chance of finishing his career at UNT being in the top 5 in FG percentage, blocks, and rebounds. If he can hit his free throws and up his scoring a bit he could also squeeze into the top 10 in scoring. He need to stay healthy and keep developing his game. Im wondering if he can still grow. Jordan has grown an inch and a half or so since his freshman year. Would be nice is jermey could Atleast hit 6'8".

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You are smoking something strong if you think Combs has more pure talent then Mitchell. He may work harder at times....but no way is he more talented....just a dumb dumb dumb statement.

The problem is that talent and $1 will get you a newspaper. Mitchell still hasn't applied himself, while Combs proves that he can. So yes. in terms of pure talent Mitchell wins,

but sports history is filled with talent that was wasted.

Edited by IslandEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UNT90, hindsight is 20/20. Isn't it funny that at the time of Benford's hiring many media outlets were touting him as a great hire while stating that SMU was reaching by hiring an older Larry Brown? It is easy to know challenge people to detail how Benford has failed this program, but what good does that do at this point? You also seem to forget that Franchilla wanted this job and many were pushing for him to be hired. If he was such a huge get, why is he not coaching today? Why has he not been hired or pursued for a position in over a dozen years?

Please provide some proof that RV has the "big money donors" under his wing? These people didn't accomplish what they have in life with blinders on. I find your comment pretty funny and was off base You can lump me in to that crowd for not jumping on here on a daily basis and criticizing the man's every move, but that would be comedy gold. Full disclosure, I have heard RV speak in person once in my life. That was when he first came to North Texas and was getting in front of every organization he could find to drum up support. He came to our fraternity alumni meeting and outlined his vision for upgrading the facilities and the program. I don't know the man, have never talked to him on a one on one basis and am far from being a "big money donor."

• Upvote 1

UNT90, hindsight is 20/20. Isn't it funny that at the time of Benford's hiring many media outlets were touting him as a great hire while stating that SMU was reaching by hiring an older Larry Brown? It is easy to know challenge people to detail how Benford has failed this program, but what good does that do at this point? You also seem to forget that Franchilla wanted this job and many were pushing for him to be hired. If he was such a huge get, why is he not coaching today? Why has he not been hired or pursued for a position in over a dozen years?

Please provide some proof that RV has the "big money donors" under his wing? These people didn't accomplish what they have in life with blinders on. I find your comment pretty funny and was off base You can lump me in to that crowd for not jumping on here on a daily basis and criticizing the man's every move, but that would be comedy gold. Full disclosure, I have heard RV speak in person once in my life. That was when he first came to North Texas and was getting in front of every organization he could find to drum up support. He came to our fraternity alumni meeting and outlined his vision for upgrading the facilities and the program. I don't know the man, have never talked to him on a one on one basis and am far from being a "big money donor."

Normally AD's are judged on hindsight and production on the field, but not here at UNT.

And no, I wasn't talking about you because first and foremost you are not a big donor. You are simply the typical UNT fan that has been so beaten down by failure that they will gladly take one non-conference championship bowl season every 10 years and label that as success. That will put a happy face on the complete deconstruction of a basketball program that was getting national attention before the colossal failure of a coaching hire that drove away many season ticket holders.That is perfectly ok with 5 home games seasons in football when others are doing better.

And I even understand why you think the way you think. You kind of have to in order to be a fan of this program. It's a self defense mechanism. Lord forbid anyone else have expectations of this program, because then your's may actually be raised which you fear will inevitably lead to another disappointment. That's why you tell yourself everything is fine and is going to be ok.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

like when he was in an offense that didn't put him in effective positions on the floor and instead put him in areas that were easily double and triple teamed?

Or like when he had that coach who was rotating the players around him every minute to minute and a half so no one could establish a game rhythm?

• Upvote 1

Voss=franklin

Harris>a williams

Taylor>c Jones

Voss way more upside than mitchell. So call me an idiot, but yeah this team is more talented

Cusa this year is a way better league than sunbelt 3 years ago.

Funny how you leave the rookie coach factor completely out of this equation.

Now, re-rate the 2011-2012 team compared to this one.

Mitchell > Combs by a factor of 4, and I love combs.

Alzee> anyone running the point in this team. Plus Alzee could slide over to shooting guard.

Franklin > Voss.

Holman > Aniofolk

Walton > any 3 point shooter on this team

Hogans (when healthy) > any big man on the current roster.

But keep on fooling yourself.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Voss=franklin

Harris>a williams

Taylor>c Jones

Voss way more upside than mitchell. So call me an idiot, but yeah this team is more talented

Cusa this year is a way better league than sunbelt 3 years ago.

Disagree on all three, but especially Harris vs. Alzee. I can see how you could argue that voss would put up similar numbers as franklin if he had a super talented big drawing double and triple teams playing with him. I can see the argument, but I don't agree.

Funny how you leave the rookie coach factor completely out of this equation.

Now, re-rate the 2011-2012 team compared to this one.

Mitchell > Combs by a factor of 4, and I love combs.

Alzee> anyone running the point in this team. Plus Alzee could slide over to shooting guard.

Franklin > Voss.

Holman > Aniofolk

Walton > any 3 point shooter on this team

Hogans (when healthy) > any big man on the current roster.

But keep on fooling yourself.

Alzee's biggest strength, IMO, was his defense. He would lock down any guard on this year's team. Period.

• Upvote 1

Also think this is a down year for CUSA. One bid league, just like the Belt was in 2012 and 2013.

espn has 2 firmly sitting in the tournament in La Tech and ODU. They are probably assuming one of them will win the CUSA tourney and the other will be at-large. WKU could win the tourney and the other 2 could sneak in at-large pending their performance from here on out.

espn has 2 firmly sitting in the tournament in La Tech and ODU. They are probably assuming one of them will win the CUSA tourney and the other will be at-large. WKU could win the tourney and the other 2 could sneak in at-large pending their performance from here on out.

ODU is the only chance for an at large this year, me thinks.

ODU not going anywhere.

Had a nice start of the year, but they're meddling in conference play, and this isn't a strong conference. Watch UTEP though, they're getting hot at the right time. I could see UTEP & LATech get in if both reach the CUSA tourney final.

• Upvote 1