Fall Practice

HoustonEagle

What makes me want to quit donating? Is threads like this. Who gives a flying f-ck. This program needs money and more fans. Neither of which hinge on whether fans can attend practice. I read threads like this and think to myself maybe it is time to quit throwing good money after bad. We will always be small time.

Unfortunately for me I have some sort of addiction to the hope of better days for the Mean Green. So I keep sending out the checks.

On a side note. My wife and her entire family attended Ohio State. My father in law and I give about the same amount of money to our respective universities. He gets a bumper sticker and the right to buy 4 nose bleed seats on the 50 yard line. That's it!

What have I recieved? Well I get the right and do buy four club level seats that cost less than his nosebleed seats at the horseshoe. I have attended multiple events in Houston for donors and prospective donors. I have had dinner with the university president. I have had drinks with representatives from the athletic department in Houston. Not to mention the usual gifts from umbrellas to grill sets and so on. As I said before. I don't donate that much! Especially when compared with major universities. Yet here we are discussing the 5 fans that want to see a practice and at what giving level that should be. Instead let's discuss how being a Mean Green fan and donor is the best deal in college sports and according to the attendance and donor levels no one seems to give a crap. I could care less about open or closed practices. What I do care about is that at some point we either hit critical mass or people get tired of trying.

Ok that turned into a rant, sorry. Dear God please let this be a winning season

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

You are as much a part of the athletic department as anyone. It is our athletic department. Nobody is lying to anyone. Our A.D. (not sure if you mean A.D. as in athletic director or A.D. in athletic department) is just trying to give our kids the best tools with what they have. I am quite sure I could call up there and go watch a practice if I wanted to. Why are you so concerned about an A.D lying? I am more concerned that our coaches are doing their best to get our kids prepared for that mountain they have to climb that starts in Baton Rouge.

Maybe I am just different but when I decided to donate money I didn't even see one of those charts. It was based on many other factors. Tax planning, needs of the university at the time, etc. Not on going to practice.

I have been out there preaching and trying to convince others to donate to this program. Let me tell you, it is tough. To get us where we need to go, the general mentality of alums needs to change. At other schools with a 300 mile radius here there are people who send in a check, then buy groceries.

• Upvote 7

Nope. I'm assuming you are, based on your authoritative post. That's great, and if you don't care about attending practices, fine. Maybe the vast majority of $1000 (or $1000 ++++) donors don't either. What I've got a problem with is an A.D. that lies to donors and potential donors. Again, I don't know if the allegations in this thread are true (which go back through last season, by the way, not just one practice). But I find it amazing that several of you would be just fine if the A.D. were to lie as a regular practice.

You are kidding, right? Once again we have someone calling the AD a liar using second and perhaps third hand information. In readily admitting that you are not a $1000+ donor you have no real first hand knowledge of this situation even after those who have donated $1000+ tell you from their first hand knowledge that invitations were made. First you say the AD lies to donors...then you say "I don't know if the allegations in this thread are true". Seems a bit "confused" to me. IF the AD lied TO YOU...let's have the facts. If you are repeating what you read here or hear from some disgruntled and so-ccalled fan, well, how about speaking for yourself?

I have never ever been lied to by this AD or this department...nor anyone associated in an official capacity with UNT. That's my first-hand knowledge of the matter, and until or if that ever changes for me on a first-hand basis I'm good to go.

Seems a few folks are really free when sitting behind Avatars to accuse folks of intentionally setting out to lie. Hey, here's an idea for you....would you mind showing up at the Kick-Off Cookout on Aug. 18th and discussing that with the folks in question in person? Maybe they can clear up the facts a bit for you. You know, something like "Hey, Rick, good to see you. When are you going to stop telling lies to your donors"? I'd pay to see that excahnge...maybe we could raise some good funds for the new basketball practice facility if we sold tickets...what do you think?

Really, if you wouldn't say that sort of thing to the man's face, you might want to tap the brakes a little on here because as much as you think the avatars make everyone anonymous on here...don't ever kid yourself into believeing that one.

• Upvote 5

Never got invitation to any practices, but being out-of-town might of had something to do with it. But its funny, all those perks listed for higher donars,in the past,most I never received from rv's office(like fly with team, closed events, special promotions-pictures etc). I really never expected to get those perks- Mandy used to say to me at the first game your stuff is "Coming".So, if you really want to be unappriciated by rv give lots of $$$ (a million is a different class of donar just ask mattress Mac or Goldfield- O wait, they got angry at him too?).

By the way, Mike Nelson and Dan have gone to Houston to to recruit & went by & talked to Mattress Mac. Mac talked to Dan a good while too. FYI. I'm impresed that Dan is trying to do things that the athletic dept/ex's (alumni assn.) should be doing.

See you at the Houston game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You are kidding, right? Once again we have someone calling the AD a liar using second and perhaps third hand information. In readily admitting that you are not a $1000+ donor you have no real first hand knowledge of this situation even after those who have donated $1000+ tell you from their first hand knowledge that invitations were made. First you say the AD lies to donors...then you say "I don't know if the allegations in this thread are true". Seems a bit "confused" to me. IF the AD lied TO YOU...let's have the facts. If you are repeating what you read here or hear from some disgruntled and so-ccalled fan, well, how about speaking for yourself?

I have never ever been lied to by this AD or this department...nor anyone associated in an official capacity with UNT. That's my first-hand knowledge of the matter, and until or if that ever changes for me on a first-hand basis I'm good to go.

Seems a few folks are really free when sitting behind Avatars to accuse folks of intentionally setting out to lie. Hey, here's an idea for you....would you mind showing up at the Kick-Off Cookout on Aug. 18th and discussing that with the folks in question in person? Maybe they can clear up the facts a bit for you. You know, something like "Hey, Rick, good to see you. When are you going to stop telling lies to your donors"? I'd pay to see that excahnge...maybe we could raise some good funds for the new basketball practice facility if we sold tickets...what do you think?

Really, if you wouldn't say that sort of thing to the man's face, you might want to tap the brakes a little on here because as much as you think the avatars make everyone anonymous on here...don't ever kid yourself into believeing that one.

There is nothing in my posts that I would be ashamed to say to anyone's face. I don't know why you think I am trying to be anonymous. A lot of folks on this board know me. As I recall, I introduced myself to you at a ballgame and told you who I was. If anyone is curious, my name is Lee Moses. PM me, and I'll give you my phone number.

The very reason I keep saying "IF it is true" is because I don't know, and I want to make that very clear. I NEVER called RV a liar. If these allegations are true, yes, the athletic department is lying to donors. But I have no way of knowing if that's the case.

My point has to do with the posters in this thread who say they really don't care one way or the other if the A.D. lies to donors. I personally would have a major problem with that.

• Upvote 4

Nope. I'm assuming you are, based on your authoritative post. That's great, and if you don't care about attending practices, fine. Maybe the vast majority of $1000 (or $1000 ++++) donors don't either. What I've got a problem with is an A.D. that lies to donors and potential donors. Again, I don't know if the allegations in this thread are true (which go back through last season, by the way, not just one practice). But I find it amazing that several of you would be just fine if the A.D. were to lie as a regular practice.

Ive never been lied to by our athletic department or athletic director.

And when I give, it is just that, a gift. My return will come when I turn on the news one day and see us listed as a top 25 team. (in multiple sports.)

• Upvote 3

Ive never been lied to by our athletic department or athletic director.

And when I give, it is just that, a gift. My return will come when I turn on the news one day and see us listed as a top 25 team. (in multiple sports.)

That's the best attitude to have. Fantastic way to look at things, my friend.

• Upvote 2

There is nothing in my posts that I would be ashamed to say to any one's face. I don't know why you think I am trying to be anonymous. A lot of folks on this board know me. As I recall, I introduced myself to you at a ballgame and told you who I was. If anyone is curious, my name is Lee Moses. PM me, and I'll give you my phone number.

The very reason I keep saying "IF it is true" is because I don't know, and I want to make that very clear. I NEVER called RV a liar. If these allegations are true, yes, the athletic department is lying to donors. But I have no way of knowing if that's the case.

My point has to do with the posters in this thread who say they really don't care one way or the other if the A.D. lies to donors. I personally would have a major problem with that.

Lee, I know exactly who you are...just didn't want to plaster it all over the board. But, did you actually read what you posted? If that's not calling the AD out for telling an intentional lie to donors, well, I have a hard time seeing what else it might be (even with your "if it's true" line...so, can we can start selling tickets to the RV-Mean Green 93-98 showdown now for the Kick-Off Cookout? OK, that's a bit much...you know I wouldn't do that...unless of course it was guaranteed to make a ton of money for the Mean Green Club. Throwing around derogatory terms like this without, of course, any shred of firt-hand knowledeg is not right and its not helpful...and I think you know that. But, if you want folks to agree with you and who will keep up the "RV lies" facade, I think you know quite well when you can post that sort of thing.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You are correct. I don't care. I don't care so much that I have been to every New Orleans Bowl. I don't care so much that my wife and I went on road shows with the development department to promote the stadium in different towns before plans had even been drawn. I could go on and but what is the point? The athletic department and the athletic director have not lied to me Lee Moses and by the way, my name is David Anderson. You can find my picture about 2/3 of the way throught the current north texan with my wife and a few others.

• Upvote 2

That's the same reason I give. I live 500 miles away and have no ability to take advantage of the perks offered to donors. Your point?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You are correct. I don't care. I don't care so much that I have been to every New Orleans Bowl. I don't care so much that my wife and I went on road shows with the development department to promote the stadium in different towns before plans had even been drawn. I could go on and but what is the point?

You already did, and I have no idea.

• Upvote 2

This was great entertainment on a friggen 3 hour 40 minute flight to Seattle. We all want the same thing my friend, keep up the passion, and come by my tailgate party for some bbq and some form of malted and or fermented beverage. I am getting jacked just thinking about hangin half a hundred on Southern Texas or whatever they are called.

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by flyonthewall
  • Upvote 1

What I've got a problem with is an A.D. that lies to donors and potential donors. But I find it amazing that several of you would be just fine if the A.D. were to lie as a regular practice.

Derogatory enough for you? Seems so for me. Tell me in all honesty that you were not referring to RV here?

Lee (and I use your name here only because you did) I know you live in Arkansas and I know you support the Mean Green to the extent that you can. That's not the issue. I think you know that as well. But, honestly tell me...does the sort of post you made help move the program forward? Is it going to change any behavior? Does it help bring new donors and members to the Mean Green Club? I don't think in any way you could answer those questions with a "yes". So, as someone who supports the Mean Green, just what is your point? Spreading rumors from a few disgruntled fans who may or may not have the access to the AD and Dept. personnel that they once may have had? I think not, and doubt in your line of work that throwing such innuendos around is seen as a very good thing...I wonder what you would think if some folks started posting such inferences and rumors about you? Would you see that as beneficial and positive? I sure wouldn't. And, as you may recall, I have been on the receiving end of some fairly harsh words and comments and have been so accused of wrong doing...wrong in the minds of the persons doing the accusing since I didn't do what they wanted me to do or how they wanted me to do it. So, as a fan of the Mean Green and the supporter that you are, I only ask that you think about such posts in such a public venue and if they are meant to help or to injure.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Derogatory enough for you? Seems so for me. Tell me in all honesty that you were not referring to RV here?

Lee (and I use your name here only because you did) I know you live in Arkansas and I know you support the Mean Green to the extent that you can. That's not the issue. I think you know that as well. But, honestly tell me...does the sort of post you made help move the program forward? Is it going to change any behavior? Does it help bring new donors and members to the Mean Green Club? I don't think in any way you could answer those questions with a "yes". So, as someone who supports the Mean Green, just what is your point? Spreading rumors from a few disgruntled fans who may or may not have the access to the AD and Dept. personnel that they once may have had? I think not, and doubt in your line of work that throwing such innuendos around is seen as a very good thing...I wonder what you would think if some folks started posting such inferences and rumors about you? Would you see that as beneficial and positive? I sure wouldn't. And, as you may recall, I have been on the receiving end of some fairly harsh words and comments and have been so accused of wrong doing...wrong in the minds of the persons doing the accusing since I didn't do what they wanted me to do or how they wanted me to do it. So, as a fan of the Mean Green and the supporter that you are, I only ask that you think about such posts in such a public venue and if they are meant to help or to injure.

"A.D." stood for "Athletic Department," and I wasn't necessarily referring to the UNT A.D. in that first sentence you quoted. I was referring to any athletic department.

I did not bring up the subject, so I don't know why you would accuse me of spreading rumors. I merely addressed what I saw as a problem with the allegation if true. I have a hard time respecting or dealing with any person or entity who will not be honest. If you and other $1000 ++++ donors don't have any problem with misleading promises being made, that's certainly your prerogative. I guess we're really beating a dead horse, since apparently no minds are going to be changed. And hopefully, we are only dealing with a hypothetical situation anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am a 1000++++ donor and I don't give a rats butt about going to any practices. I don't care about the cheesy gifts that I get from the MGClub. What I do care about is looking at an athletic center that I donated money to help build. It makes me smile. I care about a stadium that I donated money to help build. That makes me smile too. I care about the fact that my money is going to fund scholarships and give young men and women opportunities to get an education that they otherwise might not be able to afford. That makes me smile, that is all I need. You really think that six figure gifts are coming in because of being invited to practice. NO NO NO.

Hey! I have one of those "cheesy" gifts mounted on the front of my car and one proudly displayed in my house. Don't make me feel cheesy. ;)

Totally on board with your post.

• Upvote 1

Who cares if your a $1000 donor, i mean really its a $1000.... I gave my parents $1000 to donate for me and im still in college, and do I expect special privalges.. No because its not that much money, once your in the 100k-1 mil club then you could expect some special perks

• Upvote 1

If you were a member of the MGC last year and donated at the Bronze Eagle ($1000) or above level, you were invited to a closed Basketball practice, sorry I don't remember the date. Nothing last year for football. It is my understanding that the particulars are being worked out to include football this year, most likely to occur during an open week/weekend. The date will be of Coach Mac's choosing.

So if someone lied, it is the person/s that stated the AD (AD or Athletic Department) did not fulfill the published perk of GMC membership. As always, if you want to know the REAL DEAL, contact one of the AD Development/GMC employees by phone, email, or in person. I've NEVER been left hanging by anyone associated with UNT Athletics! GMG!

• Upvote 3

Coach Mac has the right to close practices. What I have a problem with is, if true, that $1000 and up MGC donors are not invited to closed practices.

According to this, that is a promised perquisite.

At the bottom of that "Benefit Chart" it stated..

........."In order to ensure your name in the program, pledge must be made by August 1, 2011..."

Most of the basketball practices, if not all of them, are open to everyone. So one would assume that the bold line above refered that the Benefit of a $1000 donation gains said donor access to certain closed practices for football? But I guess it could mean for volleyball as well, although the one volleyball practice I attended was open also?

Regardless, several in the Mean Green Club Rep program last year noticed that this benefit wasn't being followed up with and pointed it out to Athletic Department officials. Apparantly those suggestions were never followed up on.

Below is the Benefits Chart for 2012-2013.

Here: http://www.meangreen...TCLID=205056650

Then Here: https://admin.xosn.c....20120111152825

.....despite the fact that it still shows Johnny Jones and Karen Aston as our two basketball coaches, it also still lists Access To Closed Practices as a benefit for the $1000 level.

The last thing we need is to list a benefit on a donation benefit chart and not follow through on it. If it's an error(and it may very well be....going on two years now) it should be changed because we need every repeat customer we can get.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3