A NiteMare on Eagle Drive, aka "Parker's Revenge"

Harry

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

You're right. I thought the government still had control of .com's at that point. Confusing.

Wiki says first .com domain was registered in 1985, but it was still within the government networks. Commercial ISPs didn't come around until 1995. So there was this gray area in between. I wasn't super active between 1987 and 1997, so I'm unclear on how things worked. I'd be curious. Maybe Harry was hosting on gopher?

• Upvote 1

I attended that game...fun times...except for the final score. But, I just recall being there and seeing the parachute team bring the ball in...I actually know that guy...still lives in Denton and owns a parachute shop...his wife, Vicki, was also into parachute jumps at the time.

I also recall a really good half-time event by UNT band that night...and a pretty decent crowd as well...yes, including a nice student turnout. Weather was pretty good as I recall.

Anyway...BEAT RICE! Thanks for the memories...except that final score thing!

• Upvote 1

Did you notice the name of our mascot, "EPPY."

Some thought "SCRAPPY" was too "war-like." Fortunately, someone somewhere regained their senses and we now have Scrappy back on the sidelines.

It isn't easy being green.

Beat Rice. Then, beat everybody else.

GO MEAN GREEN

The parachutists never made the jump...bad weather in Gainesville where they originated the flight. I think that KRAM's memory flashed on him on that point. I had three jumps planned for various games and all were cancelled for various reasons. The 13" tv was a big deal in '92. At least we tried and had a decent student turnout in costumes.

• Upvote 3

Did you notice the name of our mascot, "EPPY."

Some thought "SCRAPPY" was too "war-like." Fortunately, someone somewhere regained their senses and we now have Scrappy back on the sidelines.

My understanding is that the administration rigged the student election to name the "new" mascot.

To this day, my wife calls it "Effie". (Sorry, EppyForLife, wherever you are)