Western Kentucky (1/12/12)

CMJ

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I'm beginning to wonder if Skiver is just trolling. I sure hope so.

One I think that word is ridiculous and two no I am not... I just cannot understand how people who claim to be basketball fans cannot see how things work. I have yet to be answered on how 4 men guarding the perimeter... usually against 3 in most offenses is somehow not good at stopping the three? The few times we were in zone and they got off an open three our guys got hung up on each other. Like when Mitchel was hung up on Walton at the top of the key and Gordon had an open 3... Its not hard for 4 men to guard 3 people... in fact the next play down we ran the zone and zollo was open in the post (which honestly should have have happened).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This is a bit, right?

Uh, I am pretty sure Skiver ran into Harold Edwards at the basketball game Skiver was working tonight (you really think he pulled that name out of the air?) . Not to mention that the other statements regarding what he has been told by many who play and have played the game are in fact correct recitations of their opinions.

• Upvote 1

Uh, I am pretty sure Skiver ran into Harold Edwards at the basketball game Skiver was working tonight (you really think he pulled that name out of the air?) . Not to mention that the other statements regarding what he has been told by many who play and have played the game are in fact correct recitations of their opinions.

I actually did... I would not have known who he was accept I said I wish I was at the UNT game and then he told me he use to play for them years ago haha

• Upvote 1

They way to beat a zone is ball reversal, which lead to either the open 3 or more often a seal by the guy on the block. The problem is that to do it, it requires a high level of skill and coordination by the team. It takes a lot of practice and more importantly a zone can be easily shifted to disrupt what ever zone buster play a team is using due to the need for off ball down screens.

It is lazyness to say zones lead to open threes. More appropriately it leads to contested outside shots, which in the college games tend to be threes..

We have seen this night in night out with the mean green... I just wonder if people watch the games sometimes. Maybe they are looking at where a center hanging scoreboard should be :) (hint hint AD)

• Upvote 1

Ganggreen... you like I am guessing so many are going off this assumption that 2-3 means two people up top guarding the perimeter... but your 3 and 4 seal off the corners and trap along with your 1-2 the 5 is in the middle being protect and hopefully coming for some help side D if the ball is taken into the paint.

• Upvote 1

Seen what? Seriously.

it leads to contested outside shots, which in the college games tend to be threes..

And as a coach I would take a contested three all night! You want your opponent to shoot from deep if he has a hand in his face.

• Upvote 1

Ganggreen... you like I am guessing so many are going off this assumption that 2-3 means two people up top guarding the perimeter... but your 3 and 4 seal off the corners and trap along with your 1-2 the 5 is in the middle being protect and hopefully coming for some help side D if the ball is taken into the paint.

Didn't really need an explanation.

it leads to contested outside shots, which in the college games tend to be threes..

And as a coach I would take a contested three all night! You want your opponent to shoot from deep if he has a hand in his face.

You said you have seen this from the Mean Green all season while at the same time saying they should be playing more zone. Which is it?

We have seen this night in night out with the mean green... I just wonder if people watch the games sometimes. Maybe they are looking at where a center hanging scoreboard should be :) (hint hint AD)

maybe for about 5 minutes a night, night in and night out, because that is about how many minutes a game JJ runs a zone. JJ throws it in when we go small or to throw a different look at the opponent.

Ball reversal against a 2-3 leads to an open jumper (doesn't have to be a three) every time if done correctly. Proper positioning and good interior passing between your 2 bigs can lead to an open layup or 3 pointer against the 2-3almost every time when one correctly. The 2-3 also leads to open offensive rebounding lanes for the opponent.

I'm sure if you beat down a former college player with questions about a 2-3 he is going to say whatever you want to hear to end the conversation as quickly as possible.

How did I let myself get drug into this crazy discussion again? I'm message board stupid.

If you're playing a team that's good at shooting, especially from deep, the worst thing you can do is go to a zone. They'll whip the ball around the perimeter until the zone falls behind the ball movement or they'll drive the paint, which will suck in the zone. Either of these tactics open up the outside shot. The zone is designed to keep slashers from getting to the rim or it can make it difficult for post players to get good position down low.

It's main weaknesses are the outside shot and defensive rebounding. Basic basketball knowledge.

• Upvote 2