UNT annouces Series with Army

97and03

So we DON'T get Army in 2013. But Ball State does.

I wonder if West Texas A&M is available?

http://meangreenblog...d-army-se.html/

Details of the SMU and Army series

A source at the UNT athletic department has confirmed the details of the series with SMU and Army that will be announced later today.

The SMU deal is for four games from 2014-17 with an option for eight additional games through 2025. The first four games will alternate sites, beginning with a game in Denton.

The Army series will be six games beginning with a home-and-home in 2009 and 2010. UNT will host the first game. The series will then resume in 2016 with the games alternating between West Point and Denton, beginning with a game at West Point. The last game of the series will take place in Denton in 2019.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

So is posting on a chat board...I wonder if anyone here was in on any of the discussions and how it really went down so as to know what the full extent of the situation is/was? Indeed, talk is cheap. I would imagine that being the one trying to get this all done with all the moving parts and people involved is a tad more challeging that just seeing it from the outside. UNT SHOULD be able to do a lot of things they would like to do differently. Should being the operative word here....am sure that even in the world of law enforcement there were and are many cases of "Should" having been able to do something that looks one way to those on the outside, but entirely differently to those actually doing the heavy lifting on the inside of law enforcement...you think?

I do agree with UNT90 in that ULM SHOULD nebver be able to do anything better than the MEAN GREEN. But, even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in awhile it seems. Any Mean Green fans want to trade places with ULM fans? Wow...not me.

I would trade schedules with ULM this year. THAT should NEVER be the case.

It seems this blind frog keeps giving it's acorns away. We gave away 2 to Iowa. After a new stadium. After a new conference.

Everyone should face accountability in the job they do. This is but one area of the job, but it is an area that has woefully underperformed.

That's just a fact.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It seems this blind frog keeps giving it's acorns away. We gave away 2 to Iowa. After a new stadium. After a new conference.

Everyone should face accountability in the job they do. This is but one area of the job, but it is an area that has woefully underperformed.

That's just a fact.

ULM gets Baylor at home this year OOC and that's it, and last year they got Grambling St.

Last year we had Houston and Indiana and this year we get TSU.

Is there really any difference? When you are signing 2 for 1's it catches up to you period. Besides, as adman posted, TCU starts the year almost every year with a team from a small conference. It helps you get your feet wet and come out of the game with a win.

• Upvote 2

ULM gets Baylor at home this year OOC and that's it, and last year they got Grambling St.

Last year we had Houston and Indiana and this year we get TSU.

Is there really any difference? When you are signing 2 for 1's it catches up to you period. Besides, as adman posted, TCU starts the year almost every year with a team from a small conference. It helps you get your feet wet and come out of the game with a win.

What happens when you sign 2 for 0's? Isn't that just a tad worse?

Anytime we are comparing ourselves to ULM we are failing. They are the most underfunded program in the FBS. Scheduling needs to change. Signing a 2 off with Iowa doesn't give one hope that is happening.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Other interesting home schedules of programs about our size.

Texas State hosts Texas Tech

New Mex State hosts BYU

La Tech hosts Texas A&M, Rice

SMU hosts Texas A&M

UTEP hosts Oklahoma

UCF hosts Mizzouri

Tulsa hosts Fresno State

Tulane. hosts Rutgers, Ol' Miss

Southern Miss hosts Louisville, Boise State

Rice hosts UCLA

FIU hosts Louisville

Troy hosts Missippippi State, Navy

ULM hosts Baylor

WKY hosts Southern Miss

East Carolina hosts Navy

Akron hosts Central Florida

Ball State hosts South Florida

Buffalo hosts Pitt

Central Mich hosts Michigan State, Navy

Eastern Mich hosts Army

Northern Ill hosts Iowa(Soldier Field), Kansas

Ohio hosts New Mex State

Toledo hosts Cincinnati

UMass hosts Indiana

Western Mich hosts UConn

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

What happens when you sign 2 for 0's? Isn't that just a tad worse?

Anytime we are comparing ourselves to ULM we are failing. They are the most underfunded program in the FBS. Scheduling needs to change. Signing a 2 off with Iowa doesn't give one hope that is happening.

I think our issue has been that we have been underfunded with a crappy stadium in the past, yet RV still got us games with TCU, SMU, Navy, KSU, etc... in Fouts. I think a little patience is to be expected. The opening of Apogee, joining CUSA, increased budget, etc... should bring better teams to Denton in the next few years.

• Upvote 3

I think our issue has been that we have been underfunded with a crappy stadium in the past, yet RV still got us games with TCU, SMU, Navy, KSU, etc... in Fouts. I think a little patience is to be expected. The opening of Apogee, joining CUSA, increased budget, etc... should bring better teams to Denton in the next few years.

I really hope your right. The Iowa games are what give me pause. Looks like the same old way of doing business regardless of a new stadium and a new conference.

There isn't a Mean Green fan alive who would have a problem with us scheduling Grambling at home . . .

. . . if in that same year, our home schedule also included Virginia, Iowa State, Texas Tech, K-State, and OU.

Many of my tcu friends plan on either leaving just after halftime, showing up for halftime, or getting there just before halftime.

They aren't real psyched about that game.

Many of my tcu friends plan on either leaving just after halftime, showing up for halftime, or getting there just before halftime.

They may need to be as the Big XII welcome may not be all that much fun.....hopefully, TCU will do well in the Big XII, but there might be a bit of a "learning curve". Should be fun in Ft. Worth.

• Upvote 1

That's just a fact.

While I pretty much agree with your assertion we aren't good at scheduling, I'm about 99% positive those Iowa games were scheduled before the new stadium and conference. I remember hearing about them at least a year ago.

• Upvote 1

TCU was scheduled under the Helwig regime, as was Baylor, UNLV, Houston(1998), Vanderbilt and Oregon State.

Rick

Didn't realize the 2003 game against Baylor was scheduled by Helwig. Below is what I found from 2003 to present day and figured RV was the one responsible for these:

2003: Baylor

2005: Tulsa

2006: SMU

2008: Tulsa

2009: Ohio

2010: Rice

2011: Houston and Indiana

• Upvote 1

While I pretty much agree with your assertion we aren't good at scheduling, I'm about 99% positive those Iowa games were scheduled before the new stadium and conference. I remember hearing about them at least a year ago.

The deal was struck (announced 07/09) after the stadium was approved and just before groundbreaking. So we knew we would be in Apogee. The games are in 2015 and 2017. We all knew conference realignment was coming and that we SHOULD be a player.

Look, there is still time to correct this, and hopefully it is done. But that is what I thought about the 5 game home schedule, and nothing was done. We should be working our butts off to get out of deals like Iowa and signing home and homes, or, at the worst, 2 for 1s, with some of these teams.

Maybe we are. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Upvote 1

Yep...I think I'd rather watch UNT beat a CUSA team or a team from a similar conference than watch UNT perhaps lose 45-14 to a SEC or Big XII team right now. That day will come, but cannot figure out the obsession with playing these teams at Apogee right now while we are trying to rebuild this program and get rears in the seats and not just for one marquee game a season. Sure, bandwagon fans and opposing team fans will pack Apogee if TX A&M or perhaps Iowa played at Apogee...then, come the first conference game, they are nowhere to be seen. GREAT...UNT spends in excess of $300,000, potentially gets beat by a large margin and sees half-empty stands for the rest of the season...not good from my perspective. But, that's just me. UNT90 and others are more than welcome to their opinion...it's their opinion and as valid or not as mine.

This program needs to learn to win and it needs to see winning as the norm...right now getting beat by the LSU's, and OU's of the world is not my idea of how one goes about changing a mindset. Again, just me. I realize that UNT is not Florida, OU, OSU, UT, A&M, Ohio State, USC, etc., etc, RIGHT NOW! neither was TCU a few years ago or Boise State for that matter. UNT can get there...I'd like to see more wins at home than losses (and on the road as well) while we are at it.....just me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Didn't realize the 2003 game against Baylor was scheduled by Helwig. Below is what I found from 2003 to present day and figured RV was the one responsible for these:

2003: Baylor

Remember the '2000 kick off in 106 degree heat game against Baylor, and concessions ran out of water by half time? That was part of that deal.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The deal was struck (announced 07/09) after the stadium was approved and just before groundbreaking. So we knew we would be in Apogee. The games are in 2015 and 2017. We all knew conference realignment was coming and that we SHOULD be a player.

Look, there is still time to correct this, and hopefully it is done. But that is what I thought about the 5 game home schedule, and nothing was done. We should be working our butts off to get out of deals like Iowa and signing home and homes, or, at the worst, 2 for 1s, with some of these teams.

Maybe we are. I'll believe it when I see it.

I thought New Mexico State was ahead of their game(For NMSU standards), by jumping on BYU the moment(Summer 2010) they announced they were going independent, and host the cougars in Las Cruces this season as a return game from last years game in Provo.

Rick

• Downvote 1

Then they are not very good Horny Toads.

That is an awesome find. And just as soon as the remainder of our home slate looks like theirs did each of those years this will be a valid comparison...until then the TSU is game 1 of a home menu that only the diehards will swallow.

The sucky thing about a sucky conference is you have to play your conference mates. Ergo our remaining home schedule sucks.

If we were in the conference that TCU was in at the time we too would have played:

BYU

UTAH

Wyoming

New Mexico

Air Force

Sand Diego State

Colorado State

UNLV

Good news is, next season we will have more home games people can get excited about and Im confident our OOC scheduling will pick up as well. (And who knows - a crappy home schedule this season may create a lot of wins which should generate some excitement.)

• Upvote 3

We need to schedule the service academys as much as possible for home games. We always get great turn-outs, and we always have an opponent that we have a 50-50 chance of beating.

Seems like there has been mention that we're trying to have at least one service academy visit each season beginning with Army in 2013.

I could be totally wrong but Im pretty sure Ive heard RV mention this.

We need to schedule the service academys as much as possible for home games. We always get great turn-outs, and we always have an opponent that we have a 50-50 chance of beating.

100% correct! I would love to see a service academy on our home schedule every year...and would like to see the service academies at Apogee long before the Iowa's and OU's of the world. Great crowds for the service academy games we have hosted in recent years...and the service academies love to come to Texas as they seem to do pretty well recruiting in the area. Love these service academy games. Don't we have Army on a future schedule?

The sucky thing about a sucky conference is you have to play your conference mates. Ergo our remaining home schedule sucks.

If we were in the conference that TCU was in at the time we too would have played:

BYU

UTAH

Wyoming

New Mexico

Air Force

Sand Diego State

Colorado State

UNLV

Good news is, next season we will have more home games people can get excited about and Im confident our OOC scheduling will pick up as well. (And who knows - a crappy home schedule this season may create a lot of wins which should generate some excitement.)

This. Glad someone else sees the logic in all of this. Things will improve, but patience will be needed.

• Upvote 1

Good news is, next season we will have more home games people can get excited about and Im confident our OOC scheduling will pick up as well.

The 2013 home schedule looks to be probably good with Army, Ball State and four new CUSA teams to become rivals with.

• Upvote 1