Rick Villarreal gets new deal

KRAM1

Very happy to see this. Glad to know the Mean green nation will have Rick as it's AD for some time to come. Agree with MeanGreenTexan. Congratulation, Rick V. and thanks for all you are doing for UNT.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I, for one, welcome the continuance of our administrative overlords. I've gotten to know Rick over the years, and I don't think this is just a job for him. I think he's taken on an internal identity as ambassador of North Texas. That goes farther with me than someone padding a resume for the next step up the ladder.

Mistakes were made with the football coaching staff, but they were remedied, and two very large steps forward followed. It's gonna keep getting better around here.

Now how do I go about getting Rick on speed dial?

• Upvote 2

i agree with your points Kram, (+1) but I don't see the comment that you are referring to??

It's on the "grumpy old man board" that these guys set up thinking no one would know who they were as they constantly bashed all that is the athletic department at UNT (and supposedly for actual sports talk about UNT)...and you can throw me into that mix as a target for their whining and complaining. Why I am that important to them is beyond me...but, I'll take it as a compliment ...a backhanded one for sure, but a compliment. Venture over there at your own risk...I've "visited" a couple of times after being alerted to the postings...lots of so-called grown men calling people names my 2 year old grandson might try out in a temper tantrum when Dad took a toy away or something. Priceless stuff if you are in to comedy.

You will instantly recognize GoodCaws, the Infidel, TennisHack, etc. Hard to miss....(I may have the names misspelled, but you will know them immediately if you dare to venture over even as a guest). It's a public forum so I am not divulging anything here that isn't public.

Since I support the extension for RV, the latest was a post asking me how RV's ass smelled or something like that...very mature, wouldn't you say?

Interesting thing is...I like these guys and they have been very big UNT supporters over the years...why they choose to do what they do is their business, but I'll always appreciate their contributions to UNT Athletics.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Congratulations RV!

I hear a new item being offered in the Pro/Gift Shop are new Mean Green totes to carry around old grudges. Should be a big seller.

PRICELESS... +1 for you, Sir. I had the privilege of congratulating RV in person last evening in the Mean green Room before the UL-M blowout! And, no, "Infidel" I did not kiss his rear end, I just shook his had...a grown man sort of thing to do!

• Upvote 3

Well, spill it! If the grumpy old man board is public, what's the url?

Ask someone else...I have no desire in helping increase viewership much less membership in that board. Sorry. I wouldn't have know myself had I not been alerted to all the kind things that were being posted about the Kram-ster. Venture over at your own peril.....

OR PM Me....

• Upvote 2

Wow...it has already begun...there is one guy who has now said he is "done" with UNT...no more BB games this year, no hot springs trip and it's looking like no more season football tickets as well because of this announcement. Really? Seriously? Might want to relax a little and think about that threat before you get to deep into it. I realize some folks would like to see a new AD for UNT...no, as everyone knows, I am not one of those folks...that's no secret, and I respect the other sides opinion, I just happen to think they are misguided. But a threat such as the above in actuality does no harm to the AD, his staff or his programs, but it hurts UNT and it certainly smacks of one "cutting their own nose off to spite his face". We have all "sat through", cheered through and suffered through the trails and tribulations that is UNT athletics through the years, some for many more years that I have...right, Rick Spears? But, we all have very very fond memories of our times sitting in those seats, standing and yelling, enjoying Mean green victories and suffering through the losses together. I would hate to lose a friend and a long-time supporter of the Mean green over a personnel decision that none of us have any control over whatsoever.

Anybody who is that upset over RV getting an extension as AD, I have two words for you:

Craig Helwig

• Upvote 5

Anybody who is that upset over RV getting an extension as AD, I have two words for you:

Craig Helwig

I only speculate, but I think a lot of the anger is not solely because of the RV extension; rather, some people feel like they've been blatantly ignored for 30+ years.

No AD is going to please everyone, nor be mistake-free. But we are talking about a very bitter fan base (look at our 60+ year history, I don't blame them!), and I don't think they will be happy unless they get the final word in this. Until then, they will squeeze every last drop out of the coulda-shoulda scenarios that they can.

Or, it seems the case, just quit.

Edited by greenminer

Craig Helwig

I don't like long term contracts for coaches or AD's, don't see the need for it, given they only bind the school. However, I don't view RV's performance as highly as many on this board but nether am I in the anti-RV camp. I have no issue giving him credit for the many great things that have occurred with the athletic program, but at the same time I am some what amazed at how many of NT athletics failures that RV seems to get a pass on by the masses.

The one truth IMO is, that none of us knows how overall good or bad job that RV actually does. We are not in position to know, so we base our view on our experience with him and the athletic department and our view of the overall progress of NT athletics. Rawlins and the BOR are the ones charged with his supervision and they have decided he is worthy of a new contract and that is what really matters.

I posted here because of the Craig Helwig comment, whose unpopularity rivals RV's popularity with a lot of the fan base. My question is why? My guess it is because RV is very outgoing and personable while Helwig was the opposite, not exactly job related. In reality, Helwig was charged with bringing NT back to the highest level of football. He accomplished that, and although many apparently didn't like his method which consisted primarily of a lot of so called guaranteed or my hated term "body bag games". I am not sure there were any more options at that time. You can also criticize his hiring of Trilli, but that also pales compared to the Dodge hiring. RV may not have a lot to work with but I assure you had a lot more than Helwig ever had.

The day of the AD position being a guise to give head football more compensation or a place to stash retired football coaches is over. It has evolved into a complicated vital position. AD's these days or not going to make everyone happy but at the same time it takes a lot of skill to balance the demands of the job. RV who I think was woefully unprepared for this position has shown growth over the years and I congratulate him on his new contract. At the same time, I don't understand why anyone would not understand that RV as any AD has ruffled more than a few feathers through the years.

• Upvote 3

The YAC board (not Yards After Catch, but short for a term that is closer to Kram1's label) has called several of us out over here. A few of us have been dropping hints for weeks about its existence. Especially after we read a thread about folks that were more or less blacklisted.

It's all in good fun. I make it a point of visiting numerous times a day to see what new topic they wanna yell about. It's kind of an updated VOY board (for those that remember), but without the comedy of the taints.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's kinda competition for this board. If posts involving UNT gear are pulled down because of an exclusive deal with an apparel sponsor (which I completely understand), then I doubt that board's URL would last 2 minutes if posted (again, rightfully so). May I suggest the below website to help you out:

http://lmgtfy.com/

Edited by UNT90

For the Love of God, would someone just post the damn URL?

I already said...PM me and I'll give it to you...I am not about to post it here...I do not want to take "hits" away from all the good work Harry does through this board. It's a board that competes with this one and was started because some folks did not like the fact that there were so many "homers" on this board, so many thread hijacks (I can definitely understand this frustration), and some perceived prejudice on the part of GMG.Com moderators (I think that pretty much covers it). Said it was for serious sports and Mean Green talk...started to join before I saw all the "special" treatment that I was getting over there along with everyone else who seems to have anything positive to say about UNT, the Alumni Association, the Mean green Club, RV, JJ, and on and on, or simply disagrees with a position taken by the main parties on the board...this board (GMG.Com) is referred to as the "H" board..."Homer" board...if you don't agree with them, just be ready for the venom and "special" treatment you will receive...both in the board and in public. Trust me on that...I know from a very personal standpoint.

Don't get me wrong...there are lots of great Mean Green fans on that board as well...it's just the general negative tenor and very venomous tone taken toward both UNT staffers and other posters that I cannot abide. It's the "bent" that board has taken...not the people themselves as at the end of the day, we all want only the best for UNT and the Mean Green. I don't mind giving out the URL through a PM.

BTW...anyone who posts on that board is also free to post the URL here....

I already said...PM me and I'll give it to you...I am not about to post it here...I do not want to take "hits" away from all the good work Harry does through this board. It's a board that competes with this one and was started because some folks did not like the fact that there were so many "homers" on this board, so many thread hijacks (I can definitely understand this frustration), and some perceived prejudice on the part of GMG.Com moderators (I think that pretty much covers it). Said it was for serious sports and Mean Green talk...started to join before I saw all the "special" treatment that I was getting over there along with everyone else who seems to have anything positive to say about UNT, the Alumni Association, the Mean green Club, RV, JJ, and on and on, or simply disagrees with a position taken by the main parties on the board...this board (GMG.Com) is referred to as the "H" board..."Homer" board...if you don't agree with them, just be ready for the venom and "special" treatment you will receive...both in the board and in public. Trust me on that...I know from a very personal standpoint.

Don't get me wrong...there are lots of great Mean Green fans on that board as well...it's just the general negative tenor and very venomous tone taken toward both UNT staffers and other posters that I cannot abide. It's the "bent" that board has taken...not the people themselves as at the end of the day, we all want only the best for UNT and the Mean Green. I don't mind giving out the URL through a PM.

BTW...anyone who posts on that board is also free to post the URL here....

If we are the homer board then they most definitely are the disgruntled and bitter board that merely focus on the negatives in most every thread I read. I also love how they change their screen-names to new ones on that board out of sheer cowardice of being called out for their venomous postings.

I also love how they change their screen-names to new ones on that board out of sheer cowardice of being called out for their venomous postings.

That doesn't hold water, unless you post here with your real name. So I think only Mitch Maher gets to make that statement.

• Upvote 1

That doesn't hold water, unless you post here with your real name. So I think only Mitch Maher gets to make that statement.

I think most of us know each other for real and our user names here are no secret as to our actual identities. I'm just careful about posting my real name online as a general rule of thumb and security more than out of cowardice.

As for that other board, it's a lot of wasted energy spent hating your own school like that. I think I learned my lesson on that one while suffering through the debacle that was Todd Dodge. These things too shall (and did!) pass.

If everything is so miserable, then by all means, get yourself to the nearest Alberton's and deck yourself out in Longhorns gear like everyone else.

http://meanandgreen.freeforums.org/

there we go...

i dont condone what they say and i like GMG much more...i just used it as another way to get UNT news. The stuff they say about this place and some of the people here is just down right stupid. i am going to cancel my user name over there becuase i dont believe in what they say. Go Mean Green is a much better place and Harry knows i love gmg and i honestly dont think posting the URL will hurt GMG or Harry in anyway.

I didn't mean your real name but moreso the screenname you obviously once used on here (or do continue to do so). It is similar to how persons use an alternate name on Vito's blog so they can bash without catching flak for some of the idiotic things that get posted in the comments section of his blog. I mean no disrespect to these guys but honestly feel that the content is redundant outside of the consistent hating on any and every move our AD makes.