Middle Tennessee (2/2/12)

CMJ

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Well I hope he doesn't mind me telling his story. During a stoppage one of the refs was standing at our end and Tasty decided to let him know that he was a bad ref and not doing a very good job calling the game. Keep in mind never using a cuss word or really any foul language. It got the attention of the ref and a look down from him. Then a second ref walked over and he was told by Tasty that he semi sucked and the first ref was told he really sucked. Something to that effect. Both refs were staring Tasty down as they took the truth from him. The refs then proceeded to call over security, pointed at Tasty, and then security walked over to issue Tasty the warning.

It was classic and something I will remember forever. These refs need to hear the truth.

So Tasty now has an official warning from Sun Belt refs on his record. That is a badge you can wear with pride.

Edited by Mean Green Scrappy
  • Upvote 3

I was beside myself when the shot clock got reset when there was something like 45 second left on the game clock. The ball never hit the rim for that MTSU possession.

The refs were terrible, but you can blame this one on the timekeeping staff for UNT.

Could have been a huge, huge, huge, mistake.

Very proud of this team. Ked was obviously hurt and only played a couple of very painful minutes. Holman also was severely limited. Forrest never took off the warm ups. Alonzo continued a string of ineffective minutes. Mitchell in foul trouble and on the bench for the last 8 minutes of the 1st half. Playing with basically a 7 man rotation, they played the best team (by far) in the conference to a 2 point game.

I hope the three guys on the end of the bench rrealize what their immaturity has costs this team and never, ever make those mistakes again.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

Well I hope he doesn't mind me telling his story. During a stoppage one of the refs was standing at our end and Tasty decided to let him know that he was a bad ref and not doing a very good job calling the game. Keep in mind never using a cuss word or really any foul language. It got the attention of the ref and a look down from him. Then a second ref walked over and he was told by Tasty that he semi sucked and the first ref was told he really sucked. Something to that effect. Both refs were staring Tasty down as they took the truth from him. The refs then proceeded to call over security, pointed at Tasty, and then security walked over to issue Tasty the warning.

It was classic and something I will remember forever. These refs need to hear the truth.

So Tasty now has an official warning from Sun Belt refs on his record. That is a badge you can wear with pride.

He is usually pretty quiet too, always a good indicator of how bad the refs are. If I yell, they missed something. If Tasty yells they have been crappy for an extended period and just blew an easy and important call. If JJ yells and throws his jacket the refs should be fired and made to walk home. Too bad that never happens.

• Upvote 1

Not going to blame the refs., middle got horrible calls too. They were terrible all around as usual.

I think JJ needs to just throw off the jacket , go apeshit & get T'd up early in a game to let them know just how bad they are. Maybe light a fire in the team & fans.

• Upvote 3

Every game you just don't know what to expect from these refs. It's sad. It looked like Rick V might have been yelling at the refs too at the end of the game in the tunnel when they were walking off the court.

I don't know about the yelling.. But I did see him throw laser flaming daggers with his eyes from the moment the buzzer sounded all the way through them walking under the tunnel.

Not going to blame the refs., middle got horrible calls too. They were terrible all around as usual.

I think JJ needs to just throw off the jacket , go apeshit & get T'd up early in a game to let them know just how bad they are. Maybe light a fire in the team & fans.

i agree, it was bad all around. i know that one of tony's blocks with about 1:15 left was a definite goal tend, but i can't remember if they ended up getting the a bucket despite of the missed call.

however, the worst call of the night came with 1.2 seconds left on the last inbounds play for mtsu. their #24 completely ran over walton who had position, which should have been two free throws, correct? now, i don't have faith that walton would of hit both of them, but the missed called was horrible.

While the refs were most certainly bad...they were bad for both sides. I saw lots of calls go our way, and lots that did not....you cannot put this loss on the refs. I was very proud of the way the Mean green battled and came back from the enlarging half-time deficit, but was disappointed in what appeared to me to be some very poor decision making and just plain turnover mistakes by the entire team. While Alzee had a monster scoring game, how many times did he take the ball all but the length of the court...often on a turnover by MT...only to drive the lane and lose the bucket...how many times did Trey Norris get rejected trying to shoot from inside under the basket, Tyler opens both halves with turnovers, even Tony throws the ball away...these guys played hurt and they played with passion and they played with heart last night, so no one should be down on them....they'll take out MT in the Tournament on the way to the Championship. I saw NOTHING last night that leads me to believe MT is any...any better than the Mean green. Even my wife...not the most astute sports fan by any means...said to me as we were leaving..."Well at least MT did not beat us"...I said what? Yes, they did...she replied..."no, looked to me like we beat ourselves tonight". She then followed that with, "we'll beat them in Hot Springs...no problem...I hope they are happy now because they won't be when it really counts".

I think my wife summed it up pretty well...I left smiling at those comments...

Proud of the way the Mean Green played...disappointed in some of the poor decisions made...The Mean Green take MT down in Hot Springs. Take that to the bank right now!

• Upvote 1

We had no one to match with Dendy.

If he hadn't been in as much foul trouble as Tony, the margin would have been much worse.

Once he got in the lane, he was pretty much a head taller than everyone else in there with easy access to a short jumper or put-back on the offensive end, or an easy rebound on the defensive end. Ked couldn't answer, Zo couldn't answer, Niko couldn't answer, and even Tony had a hard time with him.

At least he wasn't thrown out! :)

They have to be careful kicking out fans of a game. It can really fire up the crowd and then the crowd really goes after the refs for every single call they make. It can make a game go sour really quick.

It really is unfortunate that we have to deal with such bad refereeing in this league.

• Upvote 1

I was there years ago - I think a women's game - when the Pep Band antics drew a technical with a trumpet player ejection.

I don't remember that specifically.

I do remember many a time when what I've said got complaints from the coach. The coach told the officials, then the officials told the score-keeper's-bench, and the bench radio-ed Williams.

It's pretty amazing how much of the stuff we say actually messes with their heads. Both the referees and the players.

---

On a side note- I was there when a trumpet player was banned from the pep band for life for adding the "Mother F***ing Eagles" line into the fight song...

Edited by kalebschumann

I don't remember that specifically.

It was probably 2002 or 2003, maybe 2001. The rhythm section started a Ludacris jam and the band had the juevos to turn the speakers outward, and watch as the trumpet player took the mic and proceeded to "sing" Roll Out.

It had us rolling in laughter. The refs were not as amused. There were maybe a couple hundred in attendance, so it was not like you could just blow it off if you were there.

This was pre-Williams. I don't know how far back you go, but I came to UNT when Alvarez was hired. I think he succeeded Fisher. Alvarez left after 2 years, was replaced by Brad Genevro who - last I heard - was director of bands at Oklahoma State. That was when Williams was hired.

**EDIT for nostalgia fun:

I think this was the year the women made it to the conference tourney final and lost to FIU. It was a really good team, with Rosalyn and Jalie (now one of our assistants) at the peak of their careers; two of our all-time best players.

The men's team lost that year to WKU (I don't remember the name, but the Toppers had a 7-foot terror manning the paint. No Belt team had an answer for him), but the tourney was in New Orleans which made the women's run all so sweet. Thanks to the women's team I think we were there for over a week?

BTW, the women's team - during Jalie's career - was 42-4 in the Pit. Absolutely remarkable.

Edited by greenminer

Middle hit a couple tough shots, but when left to get a good look, they nailed it 9 times out of 10. That is exactly why they are at the top of the conference right now. Dendy was okay, but I thought Marcos Knight might have had been the most surprising player for MT.

Dissapointing end to a good game, but since everyone in the thread has pretty much dissected the game already, I thought I'd comment on the attendance/atmosphere. This is exactly how North Texas basketball games could be every time. The encouraging thing is that I've felt the exact same way several times this year, so it is definitely happening with more frequency.

Students had a great turnout again, the pep band continues to be great and the rest of the crowd spent a good (and appropriate) amount of time on their feet cheering. We're finally starting to GET college basketball here at UNT.

• Upvote 5

Dissapointing end to a good game, but since everyone in the thread has pretty much dissected the game already, I thought I'd comment on the attendance/atmosphere. This is exactly how North Texas basketball games could be every time. The encouraging thing is that I've felt the exact same way several times this year, so it is definitely happening with more frequency.

Students had a great turnout again, the pep band continues to be great and the rest of the crowd spent a good (and appropriate) amount of time on their feet cheering. We're finally starting to GET college basketball here at UNT.

The SuperPit sounded great on the radio broadcast. I think yall were instrumental in the comeback from 15 down. Just wish MTSU could've wilted at the end.

One thing i noticed during our "run" to get back into the game, as much as i like tyler hall, he was getting DESTROYED on the defensive end by #14 for Middle. 14 could just blow by him everytime. when we went on our run, JJ subbed in Trey Norris, who i felt played great D on the kid from middle, as soon as we took norris out and put hall back in (stayed that way for the rest of the game) middle opened it back up to a six point lead and we never got closer then 2 pts...just something i noticed, was really impressed with norris's D last night.

great game overall, and the atmosphere was electric. i was told the crowd was better then the lsu crowd, that says alot that we can outdraw a sec team with a belt team (albeit a dam good belt team). the refs sucked as usual and honestly screwed both teams badly.

The SuperPit sounded great on the radio broadcast. I think yall were instrumental in the comeback from 15 down. Just wish MTSU could've wilted at the end.

It got really loud in the Pit several times last night at key moments. That's the great part about how that facility is designed. If you can just fill up the lower level and get a good number of those folks to make some kind of noise, the place can be deafening. A true home court advantage.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 1

One thing i noticed during our "run" to get back into the game, as much as i like tyler hall, he was getting DESTROYED on the defensive end by #14 for Middle. 14 could just blow by him everytime. when we went on our run, JJ subbed in Trey Norris, who i felt played great D on the kid from middle, as soon as we took norris out and put hall back in (stayed that way for the rest of the game) middle opened it back up to a six point lead and we never got closer then 2 pts...just something i noticed, was really impressed with norris's D last night.

great game overall, and the atmosphere was electric. i was told the crowd was better then the lsu crowd, that says alot that we can outdraw a sec team with a belt team (albeit a dam good belt team). the refs sucked as usual and honestly screwed both teams badly.

Trey plays good D.

Tyler looked helpless on defense last night. Granted, I didn't get to see the 2nd half...

I just want him to punt the ball, but to the direction of the ref not a kid

It was probably 2002 or 2003, maybe 2001. The rhythm section started a Ludacris jam and the band had the juevos to turn the speakers outward, and watch as the trumpet player took the mic and proceeded to "sing" Roll Out.

It had us rolling in laughter. The refs were not as amused. There were maybe a couple hundred in attendance, so it was not like you could just blow it off if you were there.

This was pre-Williams. I don't know how far back you go, but I came to UNT when Alvarez was hired. I think he succeeded Fisher. Alvarez left after 2 years, was replaced by Brad Genevro who - last I heard - was director of bands at Oklahoma State. That was when Williams was hired.

**EDIT for nostalgia fun:

I think this was the year the women made it to the conference tourney final and lost to FIU. It was a really good team, with Rosalyn and Jalie (now one of our assistants) at the peak of their careers; two of our all-time best players.

The men's team lost that year to WKU (I don't remember the name, but the Toppers had a 7-foot terror manning the paint. No Belt team had an answer for him), but the tourney was in New Orleans which made the women's run all so sweet. Thanks to the women's team I think we were there for over a week?

BTW, the women's team - during Jalie's career - was 42-4 in the Pit. Absolutely remarkable.

I thought you said a year ago.. I need to learn how to read.

Yeah, those were the years before Williams. To be honest, I never really hear anybody talk about the time from Fisher to Williams.

But it does sound like a stock Pep Band bit.