Coach Peterson signs two top recruits

bdan2002

17_wball_feature_tc.jpg

DENTON, Texas - North Texas women's basketball coach Mike Petersen has made his first signings as the Mean Green has inked Kiara Davis and Alexis Hyder to Letters of Intent. Davis is a 5-10 guard from North Crowley High School while Hyder is a 5-11 forward out of Austin LBJ High School.

"We are very happy that both Kiara and Alexis have joined the Mean Green Women's basketball family," said Petersen. "They are both outstanding student athletes who will be important contributors to the growth of our program."

Hyder, one of the most prolific scorers in the state, averaged over 35 points a game this season in district play and scored a school record 61 points against Lanier. She was named to the Austin American-Statesman's All-Central Texas girls basketball team as a first-team selection for three straight seasons.

Read more: http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=205420321

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Nice to see he signed Aston's commits. The team was getting short on guards, so the Davis signing looks good. Adds to already a great class. I guess there is going to be some turnover as this puts NT at 16 ships per my count. There were a couple of girls that barely got on the court last year, they may be looking for better opportunities.

Edited by GrandGreen

Wow, counting the one redshirt; NT will have 8 new players next year. The good thing is that it shouldn't be a rebuilding year ether with some solid returnees. If Godbolt is over her injuries, she should be posed for a great senior season. Stanley came on strong in the second half of the season and should be a real force in her senior year. Braylah Blakely and Ash'Lynne Evans are both super athletic and McCoy became a deadly three point shooter. Desiree Nelson also started most of the season and has a very good overall game.

The exciting thing is that everyone of those players is going to have to be very good and fight for minutes next year. If Peterson is the coach, I think he is; NT should be very strong next year.

Very nice news...good to see that these recruits are still signing with UNT! I am thinking here that the progress started last season under Coach Aston will continue next season under Coach Peterson. Very solid news here, folks....nice!

• Upvote 1

Alexis Hyder is the real deal in the post! Not sure about CUSA but she can potentially dominate in the Sun Belt based on what I saw in Hot Springs.

Not sure the Belt is not equal to CUSA in WBB. They lost their best team Memphis and maybe UTEP another CUSA top team. Tulane is the best program left and NT was not far behind them last year.

With Hyder's numbers and being a late signee, I was surprised that she was not signed by a big name. She is short for a post player and that probably kept the UT's and A&M's away, but I think she is an excellent recruit.

• Upvote 1

They sound like great players, but . . . "studs"? :unsure:

In spite of our normal perspective I think that it's an excellent word by two definitions. They will be the upright, load-bearing posts of the framework of the team. They are also two jewels to stud this crown (team).

• Upvote 1