Apogee Stadium was packed for the 4th of July Fireworks

TheWestie

I saw a LOT of people donating. The morons who showed up with arms full of drinks and fast food, not so much.

Fireworks looked good. But they looked even better with Apogee underneath them!

1039941_10101708936509570_132496217_o.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I would have hoped that the athletic department would have coordinated with the Kiwanis to delay the grand finale while they showed a preview video for the up coming season. With this announcement.

"And now folks, we pause just before the grand finale to show you what is in store for Mean Green fans at Apogee this fall....we look forward to seeing you all back here on Aug 31st"

They showed the Welcome to North Texas and the CUSA videos. They talked up the Idaho game quite a bit. I guess if they wanted to appease some of the fans here on the message board they should have switched the CUSA video with a Season Preview video?

• Upvote 1

I would have hoped that the athletic department would have coordinated with the Kiwanis to delay the grand finale while they showed a preview video for the up coming season. With this announcement.

"And now folks, we pause just before the grand finale to show you what is in store for Mean Green fans at Apogee this fall....we look forward to seeing you all back here on Aug 31st"

Terrible idea. Would kill all the pageantry of the fireworks display.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

My Family and I had a great time. Got to say hey to Christopher Walker at the Alumni Pavilion as I was showing my kids my pave stone. Kids had fun on the bounce houses. I was a little surprised to see that Sonic was a sponsor, yet they didn't have the Sonic concession stand open. (Disclaimer: that last statement was not intended to be critical.). You could get a good view of the demolition work that has taken place on the NE corner of Fouts from the bridge.

It was great to see you too, Todd! Sorry my fencing was covering your paver!

• Upvote 1

I watched the Fireworks from the Club Level last night. I have been going to see 4th of July activities for many years at many locations and hands down this was the best one I have attended! Thank you to the Kiwanis Club and the Athletic Department for a great night!

• Upvote 6

You do realize that having a green pass had absolutely no bearing on primary parking around Apogee today, right? Like, it shouldn't. It didn't. And we're all better for it.

-----

The real issue here folks was WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT PUNK ROCK ABOMINATION OF THE NATIONAL ANTHEM THAT THEY PLAYED BEFORE THE FIREWORKS STARTED?!?!

It was despicable.

Were they at least able to work in couple of MF'in Muricas? You know, to keep in classy with tradition and stuff.

• Upvote 2

I didn't go in the stadium because they weren't letting coolers in for obvious reasons, so I just camped out on the field at Fouts and the armadillo. It was impressed.

Tons of people. Really hope we took full advantage.

• Upvote 1

They showed the Welcome to North Texas and the CUSA videos. They talked up the Idaho game quite a bit. I guess if they wanted to appease some of the fans here on the message board they should have switched the CUSA video with a Season Preview video?

The last words through the PA following the fireworks show were from Hank saying something like "Now we'll see you all back here on August 31st when we vandalize Idaho!"
  • Upvote 4

Everything we do in this country is politics, pal! Maybe what I said doesn't fit your agenda? And what happened to Freedom of Speech? Did that go away, too? Seems it did in some quarters. P.C. will turn America into a 3'rd world ghetto before it's all done. THERE! I SAID IT (and millions upon millions believe it).

GMG!

Upon further review of the above sudden burst of smack board political flatulence and how some words are considered code in this era.....I will say that my first understanding of the term ghetto probably came from the old "World At War" series (which I watched as a kid on Houston's PBS station--KUHT back in the 60's) with narration by Sir Lawrence Olivia.

So the link below describes the kind of ghettos I first became aware of as a kid from the big metropolitan city of Danbury, Texas. Yet no matter how you slice it, a true ghetto-existence cannot be a good thing no matter one's race, creed or religion; especially for those millions who were forced to live in them in Germany, Poland and Czechoslavakia back in the 1940's.

http://www.krakow-info.com/ghetto.htm

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Did I just witness PlummMeanGreen argue with himself?

Living by myself (and enjoy it) for a few years, I often do just that. "Now shut up! Jim! OK, I heard ya' already!" (See? What did I tell you)?

I don't have turret syndrome so I guess there is always a silver lining for everyone, right? ;)

GMG!

PS: Great crowd! Great Pic! And UNT Athletics hits a grand slam with thousands of potentially new fans.

Out of 6--7 million in the DFW Metroplex, all we need is just 31,000 out of that total, folks, and we already have a pretty big head start in getting that with

our huge UNT constituency.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

You do realize that having a green pass had absolutely no bearing on primary parking around Apogee today, right? Like, it shouldn't. It didn't. And we're all better for it.

-----

The real issue here folks was WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT PUNK ROCK ABOMINATION OF THE NATIONAL ANTHEM THAT THEY PLAYED BEFORE THE FIREWORKS STARTED?!?!

Im thinking you're not entirely clear as to what Punk Rock is.

• Upvote 1

....thanks to the Kiwanis. Certainly not anyone else.

Part of me was just hacking ya Billy. No need to get too riled up.

But seriously, trying to hard sell right in the middle of a fireworks display isn't the way to do it. People are all there for one thing - bad ass fireworks.

Stomping down just before climax to sell tickets to football would gain you nothing more than a lot of: "What did he say?" HEY! WHO TURNED OFF THE FIREWORKS!?" Etc etc etc. It would be akin to having an amorous moment with your wife and after your 4 minutes of fury you stopping and saying: "Honey, remember in two months we need to go talk to our insurance agent about life insurance. And now I will continue our heated moment of love making." Granted, she likes the idea of life insurance but she's not gonna hear a word you say and the real moment will be ruined. Now she's just angry.

The soft sell (no pun intended) is the way to go in a situation like last night. Show'em what ya got and make them realize, Oh yeah, this is nice and could be a lot of fun on other days not called 4th of July. And if ya want, throw in at the end of the display - Don't miss, Apogee Stadium fireworks after every Mean Green home game.

• Upvote 5

Part of me was just hacking ya Billy. No need to get too riled up.

But seriously, trying to hard sell right in the middle of a fireworks display isn't the way to do it. People are all there for one thing - bad ass fireworks.

Stomping down just before climax to sell tickets to football would gain you nothing more than a lot of: "What did he say?" HEY! WHO TURNED OFF THE FIREWORKS!?" Etc etc etc. It would be akin to having an amorous moment with your wife and after your 4 minutes of fury you stopping and saying: "Honey, remember in two months we need to go talk to our insurance agent about life insurance. And now I will continue our heated moment of love making." Granted, she likes the idea of life insurance but she's not gonna hear a word you say and the real moment will be ruined. Now she's just angry.

The soft sell (no pun intended) is the way to go in a situation like last night. Show'em what ya got and make them realize, Oh yeah, this is nice and could be a lot of fun on other days not called 4th of July. And if ya want, throw in at the end of the display - Don't miss, Apogee Stadium fireworks after every Mean Green home game.

I wasn't riled up. I just wanted to counter your comment about pageantry to point out that if there was any sort of pageantry inside of Apogee Thursday night it was due to the Kiwanis.....and certainly not anyone else. But actually it was just a show. The Pageantry that I'm always making reference to is the whole package....both inside and outside of the stadium.

And if you must use the sex analogy....do you honestly think that the person interrupting the inertia event to have any sort of conversation would be the male?

And BTW....Billy?

And BTW....Billy?

Billy and hacking are reference to the movie Young Guns. SCENE - Dinner table all the young guns are chatting while eating when one says something that irritates Billy.

"Relax, Im just hacking ya Billy." minutes later in the same scene. "Hey Billy, I heard you killed a man." Yep. "Why'd ya do that?" He was hacking on me.

Just a random thing I throw out at times.

Some people can complain about anything.

If I gave you a million bucks then you would be pissed about paying taxes on it. It was a freaking fireworks show. Enjoy it!

Indeed, but careful, Grant. It's not good to think something went well and then post it here on GMG.Com very often when it comes to anything UNT is involved with these days.Ha! Just kidding...

• Upvote 1

Indeed, but careful, Grant. It's not good to think something went well and then post it here on GMG.Com very often when it comes to anything UNT is involved with these days.Ha! Just kidding...

Truer words were never spoken, or at least on this day, in this thread, under this topic. :)