So What Does Scrappy Think About That Stupid Squirrel?

FirefightnRick

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

photo-2121462.jpg?ts=1329109322

That's What!

Rick

Hmmm, this is so DIFFERENT from all those threads about the major health issues facing our head football coach and the future conference home of our sports program. It should get 'em worked up down at the Road Kill cafe!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, if that's what it takes to PROTECT our Mean Green Traditions?

Today our university hosted an event over at the Murchison Center restating our Goals, AGAIN, and during the festivities officials listed the squirrel as one of our traditions.

The squirrel and the squirrel society, or whatever that group called itself several years ago is no more unique to the U of North Texas than scantrons and toilet paper. They are all found on campuses nation wide.

The squirrel didn't garner special attention in Denton for more than a year or two, and did so only by an extremely small minority of people, and by the school paper when they seemed to run out of things to write on? And somehow, someone at the school thought that short moment in our 122 year history was worthy enough to give it recgnition as a university tradition during a major university sanctioned event?

To me it's revolting and insulting to include a meaningless squirrel within a list of our school's traditions during an official university function. How this was allowed I have no idea? Which inanimant object is next, a sparrow, a roach clip, a used up pencil? It leads me to wonder if there is anyone on our campus that understands the concept of valued school tradition at all?

This is part of what Silver has been preaching about with our need to change our culture before we can ever expect to move up the food chain. We have a culture on our campus that wreaks of disrespect. We dont respect our past accomplishments and those who gained them, Ex: we have to be the only Div I basketball program in the nation that doesnt have our greatest men's basketball player honored by having his jersey retired and hanging in the rafters of the Super Pit even though countless have requested it for years, and on and on and on.

Therefore, the outside world must recognize the fact that since we don't respect our traditions and our past, we must not have respect for ourselves?

It's no wonder no other quality conference wants us now?

Rick

I think we should let TMitch finish at least 1 season before we hang a banner honoring him. :)

• Upvote 3

I think we should let TMitch finish at least 1 season before we hang a banner honoring him. :)

I agree, only I think we should hold him to the same requirements that Kenny Lyons was held to, first.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Yes, if that's what it takes to PROTECT our Mean Green Traditions?

Today our university hosted an event over at the Murchison Center restating our Goals, AGAIN, and during the festivities officials listed the squirrel as one of our traditions.

The squirrel and the squirrel society, or whatever that group called itself several years ago is no more unique to the U of North Texas than scantrons and toilet paper. They are all found on campuses nation wide.

The squirrel didn't garner special attention in Denton for more than a year or two, and did so only by an extremely small minority of people, and by the school paper when they seemed to run out of things to write on? And somehow, someone at the school thought that short moment in our 122 year history was worthy enough to give it recgnition as a university tradition during a major university sanctioned event?

To me it's revolting and insulting to include a meaningless squirrel within a list of our school's most honored traditions during an official university function. How this was allowed I have no idea? Which inanimant object is next, a sparrow, a roach clip, a used up pencil? It leads me to wonder if there is anyone on our campus that understands the concept of honored college tradition at all?

This is part of what Silver has been preaching about with our need to change our culture before we can ever expect to move up the food chain. We have a culture on our campus that wreaks of disrespect. We dont respect our past accomplishments and those who gained them.

Ex: We have to be the only Div I basketball program in the nation that doesnt have our greatest men's basketball player in our history honored by having his jersey retired and hanging in the rafters of the Super Pit, despite the fact that countless alumni have requested it to be done for years, and on and on and on.

Therefore, the outside world must recognize the fact that since we don't respect our traditions and our past, we must not have respect for ourselves?

It's no wonder no other quality conference wants us now?

Rick

First off, FFR, I agree with what you are saying. The only thing is that if you are waiting for decades worth of apathy/hate of athletic traditions to go away--via the "culture change" that is often posted on here--you are going to be waiting for a loooooonnnnggg time. When you have a university that is centered around the arts and music, in a town that has loved its "independent" reputation, and has generally loathed UNT athletics in general, this is what you get. That mindset almost killed football off twice, IMO. The early 70s, when the school took a vote to quit playing football because no one really cared about it and in the early 80s when we just went down to 1-aa because our administration flat out didn't care what level we played out. Until about the last decade, we really just quarter-assed it in regards to athletics. I feel like we are up to about half-ass now, thanks to the new stadium and increased coaching salaries. But our conference affiliation absolutely stinks and our media coverage is piss-poor, compared to other Texas FBS programs. And our scheduling usually leaves a lot to be desired, too.

Until then, stupid stuff like the albino squirrel as a mascot, adding copper and blue to the logo, and changing the mascot name to Eppy from Scrappy because it is "nicer" are things we are just going to have to grit our teeth about. Too many people agree with these stances at the university level than they do about the few traditions we do have to celebrate. It sucks, but it is what happens when you have a school that doesn't reaaly care about athletics. It doesn't often feel this way, but this board really is the vocal minority when it comes to supporting our teams. Its probably why other Texas FBS schools want nothing to do with being in a conference with us.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

WOW! Some really amazing stuff here. I attended both the reception prior to the event and the event itself yesterday, and I can tell you it was a great day to be part of the Mean Green Nation. If you were lucky enough to have been able to be in attendance yesterday and came away with any feeling other than pride for UNT you may want to check into the nearest mental ward as your "positive self" is definitely missing in action. Yes, I had a small twinge when I saw the "albino squirrel" shown with some of our other great "traditions" such as Boomer...yes, Boomer was given its due in the presentation as well it should have been...so, instead of focusing on the darn squirrel, I choose to focus on the vast majority of the event that was so very positive. I think I may have been witness to a defining moment in the history of our great university. The folks I saw and talked with after the event were all smiling pretty broadly.

Why people want to focus so very much on the negatives that they perceive in everything...even in such a great event as I witnessed yesterday...is really a bit beyond my scope of understanding. Sometimes people miss out on so much fun and positive "stuff" because they are just too busy trying to find something...anything.... to criticize. Pretty amazing to me, but everyone gets to find their own place with things.....that I do understand.

• Upvote 4

If the albino squirrel bit is still going around campus today, it is at the very least now 11 years strong...2001 being when I came to Denton and I believe the squirrel was around prior. I believe this board was created around 2003(?), which means the albino squirrel tradition has longer standing than drawing ridiculous parallels in a focus-less rant on an internet message board...something I think we'd all consider a strong UNT tradition.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

If the albino squirrel bit is still going around campus today,....

It's not. So there was zero reason to stick it back in people's faces yesterday.

And GMG started long before with Harry's Mean Green Report in the late 90's and Scrappy a few 40 years prior.

Oh look, Kram just saved that roll of toilet paper from getting dirty rolling across the floor. Let's nominate it for homecoming queen next year!

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

First off, FFR, I agree with what you are saying. The only thing is that if you are waiting for decades worth of apathy/hate of athletic traditions to go away--via the "culture change" that is often posted on here--you are going to be waiting for a loooooonnnnggg time. When you have a university that is centered around the arts and music, in a town that has loved its "independent" reputation, and has generally loathed UNT athletics in general, this is what you get. That mindset almost killed football off twice, IMO. The early 70s, when the school took a vote to quit playing football because no one really cared about it and in the early 80s when we just went down to 1-aa because our administration flat out didn't care what level we played out. Until about the last decade, we really just quarter-assed it in regards to athletics. I feel like we are up to about half-ass now, thanks to the new stadium and increased coaching salaries. But our conference affiliation absolutely stinks and our media coverage is piss-poor, compared to other Texas FBS programs. And our scheduling usually leaves a lot to be desired, too.

Until then, stupid stuff like the albino squirrel as a mascot, adding copper and blue to the logo, and changing the mascot name to Eppy from Scrappy because it is "nicer" are things we are just going to have to grit our teeth about. Too many people agree with these stances at the university level than they do about the few traditions we do have to celebrate. It sucks, but it is what happens when you have a school that doesn't reaaly care about athletics. It doesn't often feel this way, but this board really is the vocal minority when it comes to supporting our teams. Its probably why other Texas FBS schools want nothing to do with being in a conference with us.

Agree, but I don't have to like it.

Rick

• Downvote 2

On eBay that bobblehead is worth $1200. My dad has a bobblehead like that.

The squirrel is worth nothing.

Yup. My wife couldn't believe it when I showed her the bids on eBay. Paid $7 for mine at a junk store south of the square just thinking it was a cool item back in '87. Not realizing that next to an early and extremely rare Roberto Clemente bobble head, the 60's era Scrappy NTSU is one of the most highly sought after by collectors due to the low number of production. Some times the seller on eBay will include this information. Pretty cool.

Rick

Yup. My wife couldn't believe it when I showed her the bids on eBay. Paid $7 for mine at a junk store south of the square just thinking it was a cool item back in '87. Not realizing that next to an early and extremely rare Roberto Clemente bobble head, the 60's era Scrappy NTSU is one of the most highly sought after by collectors due to the low number of production. Some times the seller on eBay will include this information. Pretty cool.

Rick

WOW...indeed great that it has an Ebay value of $1200. Way cool, indeed. I just looked on Ebay and couldn't find it...I am sure I was checking the wrong categories or something. Can someone direct me to the correct category on Ebay? Thanks...Go Scrappy!

• Upvote 1

The albino squirrels are a light-hearted bit of UNT lore. The society was still around as recently as 2008:

http://web3.unt.edu/news/story.cfm?story=11208

When did supporting UNT become such serious business? If you believe the sight of a depigmented rodent is disrespecting a cannon, maybe it's time to head up to TCU so they can hook you up with a dime bag of herbal stress reducer.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

WOW...indeed great that it has an Ebay value of $1200. Way cool, indeed. I just looked on Ebay and couldn't find it...I am sure I was checking the wrong categories or something. Can someone direct me to the correct category on Ebay? Thanks...Go Scrappy!

ebay

Rick

My dad has had his since I can remember which is somewhere along the lines of 1967 or 68. That bobblehead is from the late 60's and you got a great steal.

Excellent...thank you. I knew I had to be navigating EBay incorrectly. I wonder if the guy has sold any at the $1200 price. Seems to me that the worth of something is what a willing seller and a willing buyer will agree to in the transaction.

I recall Dick Armey in my economics class one day talking about retail sales gimmicks...I paraphrase but he said something to the effect....wife comes home and says, Honey, look at this great table I bought today,...it was on-sale for $200 off the retail price. I got a great table and saved us $200! Dr. Armey's comment was...no, you sent "X" amount of money...you didn't "save" anything from an economic standpoint. If the table had been worth $200 more, you would have paid $200 more...

Interesting thoughts from Professor Armey at the time...I've always thought of those comments when I buy something that is "on sale"...not saying I am in 100% agreement with the concept, just saying that it stuck with me and has merit.

So, if the bobble head never sells for $1200 is it worth $1200? I WANT IT! But, I am certainly not willing to pay anywhere near $1200 for it. But, someone with a ton more disposable income/cash than I have may very well be willing...would be interesting to find out. Anyone know how long this has been on EBay?

I'm thinking of contacting the seller to see if there is any wiggle room in the price...and if so...how much.