New UNT DC will be Chris Cosh per ESPN Brett McMurphy

Mean_Green09

Buffalo DL coach Chris Cosh new DC at North Texas source told @ESPN. He was DC in 16 of 29 seasons coaching.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I have heard the name. Anytime a coach has to worry about annual colonoscopies then I'm not a fan in today's CFB. We needed young blood and Mac did what he does best, goes conservative. We needed a guy to come in and create a defensive spark, not a man with Dan McCarney's brain.

I think the 3-3-5 would fit into CUSA and what the offenses try to do in this conference. But that is too exotic for Dan McCarney. Expect the exact same philosophy. We need more bump and run, blitzes and exotic looks. We don't need more base 4-3 with 7-9 yard cushions on 3rd & 6.

Is he having a press conference? If so Brett needs to try and get philosophy intentions out of him.

I guess you are making assumption because of his look and age. I did too. After reading, I feel a little better. Reason. On two occasions he showed where he will pick a defense based on the talent of his team. At Maryland he went from the 4-3 to the 3-3-5 because he had lb depth but lost DT talent. At SC, he changed from the 3-3-5 to the 4-3 because the defense was not working with the talent he had.

He has a lot of experience and he has seen it all. Hopefully that can translate on the field.

Looks like an average hire made below average since he doesn't recruit. 25.82 points against would've been good enough for #59 this year, right below South Alabama and above UTSA. If it were the 27.42 from his final year as a DC, we'd be at #71 just below Texas A&M and above Arizona. For comparison, Skladaney had us at #86 and 29.8 points against in what was considered a bad year defensively.
For a team that supposedly focuses on defense first, this doesn't look like a good hire on paper.
1996 Illinois 33.82
1998 Michigan State 24.50
2003 South Carolina 26.17
2006 Maryland 22.00
2007 Maryland 21.54
2008 Maryland 22.46
2009 Kansas State 23.33
2010 Kansas State 29.08
2011 Kansas State 27.92
2012 South Florida 27.42
Avg PPG 25.82
  • Upvote 1

Who says he doesn't recruit? Is that on his resume? Did I miss something or is that some fictional point some are using to downplay this hire?

3. I don't think he's a recruiter. I've quickly perused Rivals recruiting databases, and he is not even mentioned as one of the recruiters on the staff.

If you know something else, I'm all ears.

Looks like an average hire made below average since he doesn't recruit. 25.82 points against would've been good enough for #59 this year, right below South Alabama and above UTSA. If it were the 27.42 from his final year as a DC, we'd be at #71 just below Texas A&M and above Arizona. For comparison, Skladaney had us at #86 and 29.8 points against in what was considered a bad year defensively.
For a team that supposedly focuses on defense first, this doesn't look like a good hire on paper.
1996 Illinois 33.82
2006 Maryland 22.00
2007 Maryland 21.54
2008 Maryland 22.46
2009 Kansas State 23.33
2010 Kansas State 29.08
2011 Kansas State 27.92
2012 South Florida 27.42
Avg PPG 25.82

Well our offense has only averaged the following:

2011 - 24.8 ppg

2012 - 20.9 ppg

2013 - 31.8 ppg

2014 - 27.2 ppg (and that figure drops to 22.6 ppg if you remove the Nicholls State game, 24.2 ppg if you remove Texas as well)

Total for 49 games under McCarney = 26.1 ppg

So we've got about a .28 margin to work within.

Edited by Eagle1855

Most importantly this is Mac's guy someone he will trust and can work with. We have to let Mac surround himself with guys who fulfill his circle of trust. Nothing stinks more than spending a lot of time trying to build a relationship when Mac and company need to build the team. There is much work to do in the next 8 months.

GMG

When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble give a whistle!

Appreciate your optimism.

Just pointing out that our defense was never really the great concern with this team. In fact, the defense and special teams accounted for a representative portion of the points in 2013.

Anyways, I don't think my tone was overly negative -- just a bit of tongue in cheek. If it was perceived as negativity, my apologies.

Will be interesting to see what scheme Cosh employs here. I'm betting he sticks w/the 4-3. I just don't think we have the block-eating NT here for a 3-3-5 to be successful.

If his coverage schemes call for more press/man coverage on the outsides, Buyers may be in trouble, and we're going to need to rely (blindly/heavily) on the Jackson twins to come in and be immediately impactful.

As big of a question as our DL is, next year's DBs scare the heck out of me. Losing Lee & Jones will hurt.

Just pointing out that our defense was never really the great concern with this team. In fact, the defense and special teams accounted for a representative portion of the points in 2013.

Anyways, I don't think my tone was overly negative -- just a bit of tongue in cheek. If it was perceived as negativity, my apologies.

lol no I was being sincere. A positive's a positive. And I agree with you about the offense.

• Upvote 1

As big of a question as our DL is, next year's DBs scare the heck out of me. Losing Lee & Jones will hurt.

Is our DL that big of a question though? I think my concern would be more about the DBs and LBs when it comes to defense.

1996 Illinois 33.82
2006 Maryland 22.00
2007 Maryland 21.54
2008 Maryland 22.46
2009 Kansas State 23.33
2010 Kansas State 29.08
2011 Kansas State 27.92
2012 South Florida 27.42
Avg PPG 25.82

This post wins the thread.