Looking Back at Freshman Redshirts and Dodge Recruiting

Harry

As an addendum to my earlier post I wanted to add a couple of freshman redshirts that came on the scene in 2011:

Antonio Johnson (6-5, 285) - Johnson played a lot and started pretty much the entire season at left tackle. He made some mistakes, but without question figures into the future in a big time way. North Texas has ALWAYS struggled to land legitimate offensive tackles and this kid has the size and tools to be very, very good.

Blake Dunham (6-1, 215) - Blake did not play much this year from what I can tell. With Troy Kokjohn graduating, Dunham appears to be the heir apparent at deep snapper so look for his name more next year.

Mason YBarbo (6-2, 312) - This kid was the onus of me writing this redshirt specific update. I thought he had a fantastic year and his performance was unfairly overshadowed by the emergence of Lemon. Ybarbo started every single game this season at left guard ahead, and was pretty damn solid.

Derrick Teagarden (5-10, 165) - Teagarden - recruited as a QB but moved to WR - played in 3 games and had one reception for 22-yards.

Sadly, that's where the story ends in terms of redshirt freshmen who were on scholarship this season. The good news is we have 10 coming back in 2012.

So why so few redshirt freshmen this year you might ask? Let's take a quick look back at the final two years of recruiting (2009/2010) under Dodge to determine why:

2009 Dodge Class

Signed 21 total 13 HS and 8 Jucos. Part of the problem was Dodge went so heavy JUCO in this recruiting year (2009) with 8 spots. In his mind (and most others) if he did not have a winning season he was gone. He did hit on a couple, in particular juco defensive tackles Kelvin Jackson and Shavod Atkinson as well as WR Mike Outlaw. High School recruiting in that 2009 season in retrospect was appalling. Defections included DE Tyler Washington, DB Chevy Bennett (who played against us with UH), WR Darius Carey, TE Austin Fitzpatrick, WR Daniel Mayberry, OL John Noble, Safety DeAundre Stewart, DT Kyle White. That's 8 of 13 original high school signees who are no longer with the team.

2010 Dodge Class

Signed 22 total with 12 HS and 10 Jucos. I remember saying at the time I could not recall North Texas EVER signing 10 juco players and frankly it worried me and in hindsight it probably shouldn't have been allowed. However, you have to let your coach choose his players. The interesting thing is Dodge didn't see nearly as many defections in this class as he did from the 2009 group. OL Graylin Hawkins, JUCO DB Jamison Hughes, DB DeAundre Wood made up the defections from this class. To Dodge's credit there were some good high school players in this class including, LB Zach Orr, WR Brelan Chancellor, OL Antonio Johnson, K Zach Olen, LB Will Wright, and OL Mason YBarbo. The problem in this particular class was due to the fact Dodge was trying to save his job forcing him to go heavily the juco route. His high school recruiting was decent but the good ones had to play right away and there just weren't enough of them due to heavy juco recruiting.

The Future

North Texas signed 22 players in 2011 - 20 HS and 2 Jucos, both of which were mid-terms available for spring training and one (Brent Osborn) having 3-years of eligibility. When Coach Mac says he wants to build this program through the high school ranks there is a reason. High school players can be redshirted allowing them an additional year to develop physically and meld into the system. High school players can often give you 2,3 or in some cases 4 solid years of performance whereas your lucky if a JUCO can give you 1.5. Dickey - I thought in his early years- did a pretty nice job of building through the HS ranks and adding quality JUCO's who fit critical needs or were difference makers. It appears that Mac will do the same thing and focus on using high school players to rebuild the program. I also think that the day of landing superstar JUCO talent is going by the wayside for mid-majors to a certain extent. K-State used to live off of Jucos because other Big 12 schools wouldn't sign them. When you see Mack Brown signing Juco's at Texas now you know the cat's out of the bag.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Another great thread. This just highlights the lack of a recruiting plan for the last couple of years entire Dodge era. It is so nice to see a long term plan not only in place, but already starting to pay some dividends.

• Upvote 1

That '09 class was a program killer...everyone knew we had lost some kids, but when you look at it on paper you realize what a hole NT was in.

When you only essentially sign 5 HS recruits in '09, it is no wonder why we had such depth issues this past year.

Wow...that class really hurt the program in a ba way. It makes it all the more amazing to see what Mac and his staff were able to do this season!

• Upvote 1

Thank you for researching and writing this report. As you know, I was friends with TD and even though his time here was a let down, it is often portrayed that he didn't bring in any contributing players. That's just not true. Many were young, too many at the same position and some left before reaching their potential, but there were also some solid players.

TD struggled to get the DT's that you must have to win on defense, but all teams are looking for DTs. This is especially true for "smaller named" schools. If you are a beast at DT, then all the big boys want you. And to make it worse, there just aren't a lot of guys that go 6'3+, 275+ and can run! I believe this is a position you must build at a smaller school (taking underweight guys and building them up over 2 years) until you've proven yourself. See TCU...

I'm looking forward to seeing how Coach McCarney does in bringing in and developing this most crucial and difficult to find position.

• Upvote 2

TD struggled to get the DT's that you must have to win on defense, but all teams are looking for DTs.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Coach McCarney does in bringing in and developing this most crucial and difficult to find position.

dodge struggled everywhere...not just at DT...dmac will fix his mistakes.

• Upvote 2

Thor, that's just not true. Dodge brought in Thompson, Dunbar, Chancellor, Tomlinson, Y'Barbo, Johnson, J.J. Johnson, etc... On offense, and Akpunku, Cantly, Orr, Phillips, Hill, Boutwell, etc...On defense, plus both kickers. He didn't recruit poorly but many left or weren't developed accordingly.

Thor, that's just not true. Dodge brought in Thompson, Dunbar, Chancellor, Tomlinson, Y'Barbo, Johnson, J.J. Johnson, etc... On offense, and Akpunku, Cantly, Orr, Phillips, Hill, Boutwell, etc...On defense, plus both kickers. He didn't recruit poorly but many left or weren't developed accordingly.

Yep,. You should send this to Brett Vito. Maybe you can break the magical spell DMac has cast upon our only beat reporter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

so in 3 years of recruiting, he gets a gold star for recruiting 13 players that contributed?

dunbar, johnson, ak, phillips, thomlinson - fabulous players....wasn't chancellor a walkon?

so what happened to the other 60ish players he recruited?

dodge did terrible here, we all know this...he didn't get the players he said he would and he didn't develop them at all...oh well...he's gone...

• Upvote 1

so in 3 years of recruiting, he gets a gold star for recruiting 13 players that contributed?

dunbar, johnson, ak, phillips, thomlinson - fabulous players....wasn't chancellor a walkon?

dodge did terrible here, we all know this...he didn't get the players he said he would and he didn't develop them at all...oh well...he's gone...

I used these as examples. Dodge didn't recruit poorly, it is what he did, or didn't do, with these recruits once they arrived that is the problem.

Players the Contributed:

2007 Class: J.J. Johnson, Breece Johnson, Matt Tomlinson, A.J. Penson, Micah Mosley, Cam Montgomery, Vizza

2008 Class: Akpunku, Cantly, Dwaylon Cook, Riley, Dunbar, James Hamilton, Feeley, Royce Hill, Phillips, Shorter, Taylor

2009 Class: Atkinson, Atterbery, Boutwell, Carey, Kelvin Jackson, Hilbert Jackson, Outlaw, Prior, Thompson

2010 Class: Abbe, Bellazin, Bynes, Byrd, Chancellor, Downing, Ford, Graham, A. Johnson, F. Johnson, McCord, Olen, Orr, Teegarden, Wright, Y'Barbo

Too many left the program and Dodge and staff didn't develop those that stuck, but to say he recruited poor talent is wrong.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Agree. While those names listed are nice, should it really be all we have to show for Dodge's whole tenure? And had he known how to develop the players around those named standouts, how much better could they have been?

And all the fanfare that surrounded his arrival, and how "now more of the top players in TX will want to play for Dodge because of what he did in high school" never seemed to actually translate into actual players on the field.

I am just glad we are back moving in the right direction!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

At any rate, we aren't showing we can go toe-to-toe with some of the bigger boys in this class like we did in 2008. We have offered and received verbals from a lot of guys flying under the radar--i.e., that nobody else wants.

That said, Coach Mac and staff have shown that they can develop players and win without a roster full of talent. Hopefully recruiting will be on the major upswing in future years as we continue to win more games, as opposed to recruiting taking a nosedive, as it did the last couple years of Dodge.

of course we aren't going toe to toe with the big boys now...6 wins in four years, before this year. mac has to show continued improvement, then i think it will happen. the incoming class in 2013 should start the bigger recruiting with the success that mac had last year and will continue to have next year.

of course we aren't going toe to toe with the big boys now...6 wins in four years, before this year..

So are you suggesting our recent win-loss record had anything to do with our ability to go toe-to-toe with the big boys in 2008?

mac has to show continued improvement, then i think it will happen. the incoming class in 2013 should start the bigger recruiting with the success that mac had last year and will continue to have next year.

That sums up my previous post fairly well.

I always wonder about recruiting posts about players that never contribute or have small contributions. A lot of it is mathematical; about 50% of player make significant on the field contributions. About 20 to 25 are brought in annually and teams usually play 40 to 50 players. Obviously, some classes turn out better and some worse than average but overall these numbers will hold for any program. The real question is how good are the ones that actually play. If a school has great recruit retention and never wins, than more than likely the players that contribute are not that good.

Unless and until we are in an AQ conference we won't go toe to toe with the big boys. With our university, facilities, coaching/recruiting staff, location, winning seasons and a new conference, we should be able to hold our own with all of the rest.

The recruiting hasn't been that bad considering our circumstances. It's what we did with them after they were here that hurt. Boise State didn't get to the top of the non-AQ teams with 4-star recruits; they took 2 and 3 star recruits and developed them.