Great Video of New UNT Super Pit Video Board On!

All About UNT

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

UNT90, on 11 May 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

How about the lighting? That would seem to be the last issue.

Athletics has dropped a ton of money getting the new sound system and scoreboard. The university needs to pay for the lighting system. Athletics, believe it or not, is not the biggest user of that facility, which is why the AD is pushing for the school to pay for better lighting.
  • Upvote 4

Not gonna be part of this upgrade.

Says who? Folks from the Athletic Dept. I talked to at the Coaches Caravan on Thusday seemed to think this was getting done before the 2013 season starts. They specifically said they were told it had to be done in order to have the games televised as part of the additional CUSA exposure.
  • Upvote 1

Says who? Folks from the Athletic Dept. I talked to at the Coaches Caravan on Thusday seemed to think this was getting done before the 2013 season starts. They specifically said they were told it had to be done in order to have the games televised as part of the additional CUSA exposure.

That's really good news. Because of the yellowish dim tint of the lighting I'm assuming the High-Bays in the pit are the older high pressure sodium fixtures. It's really not that the lighting is insufficient, it's the yellowish hue that makes it feel so drab. It wouldn't cost that much (relatively speaking) to swap them out with the whiter/brighter metal halide units... Especially if you re-sold the sodium units to offset. If it needed to be done on the super cheap I've done plenty of jobs where the sodium ballasts and bulbs were just swapped out of the existing fixtures for metal halides.

Athletics has dropped a ton of money getting the new sound system and scoreboard. The university needs to pay for the lighting system. Athletics, believe it or not, is not the biggest user of that facility, which is why the AD is pushing for the school to pay for better lighting.

So the university has to be "pushed" to provide better lighting for 2 of it's big 3 sports?

Sounds like they care a lot about athletics.

• Downvote 3

So the university has to be "pushed" to provide better lighting for 2 of it's big 3 sports?

Sounds like they care a lot about athletics.

Are you seriously this unaware of the "ownership" and use situation regarding the Super Pit?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Are you seriously this unaware of the "ownership" and use situation regarding the Super Pit

No, I am very aware that it is owned and operated by the university.

I am also very aware that a group of private citizens raised the money to allow for the roof to be re-inforced and a huge center-hanging scoreboard to be installed.

After that, the AD has to "push" the university for lighting?

In a facility that isn't even maintained by athletics?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am also very aware that a group of private citizens raised the money to allow for the roof to be re-inforced and a huge center-hanging scoreboard to be installed.

If it means they can save some money by letting someone else pay the cost, sure. I'm okay with the current lighting.

• Upvote 1

Yep...I am part of that "group of private citizens" you mention. Perhaps if a few more had done so, the athletic dept. would have had enough money to immediately pay for the lighting upgrade as well. But, why should the athletic department pay the full costs of the upgrade if it does not have full use of the facility? Shouldn't the AD, being financially responsible, request that the university share the cost of the upgrade? Why is that a problem? Seems the responsible thing to do and being a good steward of funds available.

Short of that, we could start another campaign and maybe some others would step up with the funds. I have no idea what that might cost. But, like some here have said, I do think a lighting upgrade is in the works.

• Upvote 2

Yep...I am part of that "group of private citizens" you mention. Perhaps if a few more had done so, the athletic dept. would have had enough money to immediately pay for the lighting upgrade as well. But, why should the athletic department pay the full costs of the upgrade if it does not have full use of the facility? Shouldn't the AD, being financially responsible, request that the university share the cost of the upgrade? Why is that a problem? Seems the responsible thing to do and being a good steward of funds available.

Short of that, we could start another campaign and maybe some others would step up with the funds. I have no idea what that might cost. But, like some here have said, I do think a lighting upgrade is in the works.

See, we actually agree. You would think a university administration that was serious about athletics would at least improve the lighting in a facility that it uses ALOT after they just got a free new top of the line scoreboard from fans of said athletoc program,

But not here.

But yet they will expect to be able to use the scoreboard anytime they want for university events inside The Pit.

The least the university could do is improve the crummy lighting.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1