DT vs. Berglund

H-towngreen

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Maybe coach Mac is a little rusty when he doesn't have All-America defensive lineman? I'm trolling here.

In DT's defense, I'm sure he would do just fine if he had good Sun Belt defense, Lance Dunbar, and a tremendous cast of wide outs. That said, we have the worst scoring offense since 2008, and probably the least impressive complement to a great running game since Riley Dodge with Lance Dunbar's 2009 season.

This. And, a lot more of this.

When asked what it takes to be a good quarterback, Ken Stabler once said, "Get your ass on a good team."

Thompson has never been on a good team.

I draw, again, on the comparison of Troy Aikman versus Tony Romo.

In a 165 game career, Aikman had:

-165 touchdown passes

-completed 61.5% of his passes

-had a QB rating of 81.6

-3.5% of his passes went for touchdowns

-3.0% of his passes were intercepted

In 115 career games, thus far, Romo has:

-162 touchdown passes

-completed 64.9% of his passes

-has a 95.5% QB rating

-5.4% of his passes have gone for touchdowns

-2.8% of his passes have been intercepted

blah blah blah, worship at the altar of defense, special teams and running game, words words, more drivel about tony romo (like we can even make THAT comparison)

Love ya bro.. agree with just about everything you say most of the time, but I gotta say this about Mr. Derek T.

WATCH THE DAMN GAMES. This guy is just not good. It isn't the fault of the receivers, or Derek's mom, or lack of a defense, etc. etc. HE JUST ISN'T THAT GOOD and he isn't accurate and he lofts balls way above receivers and he locks onto a certain receiver and he can't run and and and.

Look he just isn't that good and to blame it on the defense and the receivers is laughable.

EDIT - realize you weren't comparing Tony to Derek, but my other comments still apply.

Edited by Stan R
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Solid sports retort.

DT has completed 58% of his passes and averages 238 a game. Again, he plays the most high profile position, so he gets the most attention when things don't go right. Now, I don't think he is perfect, but he is not as bad as some of you make him out to be. Scott Hall would have struggled without Galbreath/Thomas/Cobbs at RB, Quinn at WR and Blount at TE kind of like DT has struggled without Jimmerson, Chancellor and a true pass catching TE since Smith went down.

You can either admit that DT has substantially regressed this year, or you can argue that the rest of the guys playing offense with him are highly functioning mentally disabled... He's got a line that's kept him cleaner than all but 2 QBs in college football. He's got an above average running game. He's got a TE (who I think will be on an NFL roster/practice squad next year) who's constantly open on check downs that he can't find. Even without Chancellor he's got 2 guys who were much more productive last season, a productive new walkon, and an exciting young kid who looks like a real playmaker.

I guess if you want to argue that all those guys suck so bad that DT cant't be successful then we'll just have to disagree.

Edited by Green P1

DT isn't the entire problem with the offense but he's a big part of it. Before the season I said he was a mid-Sun Belt level quarterback at best based on last year. This year he's regressed. An average CUSA level quarterback would make a tremendous improvement for our offense. Hopefully Brock can be that player.

As somesone said in a previous post ... if DT is starting next season I'll be very surprised.

So after watching Johnny football take the Sooners to the woodshet tonight, should DT mean Derrick Teagarden? I am thinking the 6-0 jitterbug QB running the zone read with a decent arm is about to become a lot more popular.

Things didn't work out for the young man but William Cole was Johnny Manziel

• Upvote 2

So after watching Johnny football take the Sooners to the woodshet tonight, should DT mean Derrick Teagarden? I am thinking the 6-0 jitterbug QB running the zone read with a decent arm is about to become a lot more popular.
I think you are kidding, but in the event that you aren't, Manziel is in a completely different league than guys who are in a completely different league than Teagarden.

However, a game like this really shows how a true dual-threat quarterback can open up a playbook and make an offense extremely tough to contain. Berglund can provide this wrinkle to our offense, Thompson can't and Teagarden should be left being a special teams stud and an improving receiver.

• Upvote 1

Things didn't work out for the young man but William Cole was Johnny Manziel

Watched him play way back when I was in junior high haha.

He blew my mind but I disagree. He was not the passing threat that Manziel was, but he didn't have to be in high school.

• Upvote 1

Teagarden was definitely tongue in cheek, but in a copy cat business, you know you will see more of that, especially in TX with the success of RGIII and JM.

No doubt that it makes you look a lot better when you are a complete threat to run, but then to make throw after throw after throw. In a complete zone all year.

Yes, please.

• Upvote 1

Teagarden was definitely tongue in cheek, but in a copy cat business, you know you will see more of that, especially in TX with the success of RGIII and JM.

No doubt that it makes you look a lot better when you are a complete threat to run, but then to make throw after throw after throw. In a complete zone all year.

Yes, please.

Copy cat business absolutely. I really hope Mac and Chico were paying close attention to tonight.

Funny you bring up Johnny Football and dual threat QBs.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2648;_ylt=Au8vtiX1pqgMctSf4xmHboNGPZB4

Rivals 2011 Dual Threat QB list

12 - Marcus Mariota - Leader of high powered Oregon offense

14 - Johnny Manziel - A&M, need I say anything else?

15 - Brock Berglund - UNT

16 - Everett Golson - Notre Dame starting QB in BCS Title Game

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 1

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-rivalsdtqb/2011

Seems like an appropriate time to re-post this.

#14 won the Heisman and just put up 516 yards running and passing in the Cotton Bowl.

#16 is quarterbacking Norte Dame in the national title game in a couple of days.

If #15 is only 1/3 as successful as either of these 2, good times are ahead for UNT football.

Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Damn Htown and his quick fingers.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Funny you bring up Johnny Football and dual threat QBs.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2648;_ylt=Au8vtiX1pqgMctSf4xmHboNGPZB4

Rivals 2011 Dual Threat QB list

12 - Marcus Mariota - Leader of high powered Oregon offense

14 - Johnny Manziel - A&M, need I say anything else?

15 - Brock Berglund - UNT

16 - Everett Golson - Notre Dame starting QB in BCS Title Game

This post has been promoted to an article

This has already been posted, but yeah, hopefully he can be near their production. Edited by BillySee58

going to stay on the fence.....it will be good competition this spring in several positions, not just qb. good competition makes for a better football team.

we did have some talent sitting out during the fall. lets see what spring brings us.

I am convinced now more than ever that a dual threat QB is needed in college football. I like DT too. But how many times last season did 3rd and 5+ seem like an automatic road to 4th down and a punt.

A running QB moves the chains when a play breaks down on 3rd down and frustrates the hell out of the defense. Bless his heart but DT can't do that with his legs.

going to stay on the fence.....it will be good competition this spring in several positions, not just qb. good competition makes for a better football team.

we did have some talent sitting out during the fall. lets see what spring brings us.

It all starts with an improved O-line. Looking forward to seeing the O-line re-shuffle and gel this spring. THAT is what will make the rest of it go.

Johnny Manziel was doing some amazing things last night, but his O-line was the one providing him with the openings/options.

• Downvote 1

I am convinced now more than ever that a dual threat QB is needed in college football.

Needed? No. Most of the better SEC teams (LSU, Alabama, Georgia) have had their success with more traditional pro-style quarterbacks (Tebow is an obvious exception to that). But it sure can't hurt to have options when a play breaks down.

Needed? No. Most of the better SEC teams (LSU, Alabama, Georgia) have had their success with more traditional pro-style quarterbacks (Tebow is an obvious exception to that). But it sure can't hurt to have options when a play breaks down.

Let me rephrase......Unless you're a better SEC team, a dual threat QB is needed.

• Upvote 1