Does JJ need to go to March Madness next season?

GrandGreen

NT has an opportunity if everyone returns to be real special next year. Beating cream-puffs in the oc, going 10-6 in the Belt and winning the Belt tournament and losing in the first round in the NCAA based on NT history is a great season. But it is past time to take that next step, and actually be at least a top 50 team. Talents like Mitchell may never come to NT again unless the program rises to a point it is expected to get great recruits not a miracle. I can't see JJ ever having a better chance at NT to elevate the program.

Next year's team can be a cornerstone to build on. WKU and others will be much better than this year, frankly if JJ can't beat them with the squad he may have next year, than I see a bad trend developing. Look at WKU who won primarily because their freshmen came on at the end of the year, J. Williams and Jones IMO are as good as any of their freshmen and there is no one in the league as good as Mitchell. I find posts relative to NT being competitive with WKU, ULL next year as maybe realistic based on NT's performance the last two years, but I hope and think this team should aim a lot higher.

JJ has build the team up from the Trilli ashes, and got the program to a level it has not ever consistently been. He has been successful taking mostly under recruited players and getting them to play team ball and he has elevated the program to be one of the better Belt programs. He has taken the next step in recruiting last year, can he move the team up to match the talent he has assembled?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

i can tell you this about johnny jones.

he's highly respected by the western fans that know their hoops. just like any board we have folks that call our conference the suck belt and don't have a clue about anyone not wearing a western jersey. myopic fans.

but those of us that follow COLLEGE HOOPS and not just western hoops....we like johnny jones. i can't imagine he's in any trouble at all with his bosses.

we have been very fortunate in the times that we knocked out the mean green. never a blowout as far back as i can remember.

i might be an idiot but i see improvement in hoops across the sun belt. and even if i didn't i say we (western and unt) leave 'em behind if they don't want to take it serious. and i love our football team.

these 2 recruiting classes should be a handful for somebody as early as next year but really troublesome for others their junior seasons.

• Upvote 7

Why would anyone think that JJ's job is in any kind of jeopardy? He is a head coach and therefore is definitely subject to criticism that comes with the job. I was very disappointed with the results in 2010-2011 and to a much lesser extent the results in 2011-2012. If he has all the players coming back next year and doesn't greatly improve the conference record and rpi, then I again will be highly disappointed.

Jones has moved NT from usually awful to one of the best programs in the Belt, therefore in some's view; he is due unwavering support. Some think the same about Dickey, he took a program form nowhere to 4 straight Belt championships. There are a few detractors, but most realize that Dickey had to go. . I am not trying to compare Jones and Dickey, in my mind there is no comparison other than both revived semi-dead programs.

My point in coaching, it is all about what have you done lately. Jones has elevated the program to a level that many expect a lot more than we did a decade ago. If everyone stays on board, JJ will have undoubtedly assembled the most talent ever on a NT basketball team. It provides an opportunity for great things in NT basketball. Failure to capitalize on that opportunity would be horrible but even that is not going to get JJ fired. I think Jones has proven he is a good coach, the question is can he be a great one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Why would anyone think that JJ's job is in any kind of jeopardy? He is a head coach and therefore is definitely subject to criticism that comes with the job. I was very disappointed with the results in 2010-2011 and to a much lesser extent the results in 2011-2012. If he has all the players coming back next year and doesn't greatly improve the conference record and rpi, then I again will be highly disappointed.

Jones has moved NT from usually awful to one of the best programs in the Belt, therefore in some's view; he is due unwavering support. Some think the same about Dickey, he took a program form nowhere to 4 straight Belt championships. There are a few detractors, but most realize that Dickey had to go. . I am not trying to compare Jones and Dickey, in my mind there is no comparison other than both revived semi-dead programs.

My point in coaching, it is all about what have you done lately. Jones has elevated the program to a level that many expect a lot more than we did a decade ago. If everyone stays on board, JJ will have undoubtedly assembled the most talent ever on a NT basketball team. It provides an opportunity for great things in NT basketball. Failure to capitalize on that opportunity would be horrible but even that is not going to get JJ fired. I think Jones has proven he is a good coach, the question is can he be a great one.

I agree. Since he was somehow able to secure a 7 year contract extenstion without gaining a thing last year(no wins over a ranked team, no conference regular season championship and no post season play) with a team full of seniors in his 10th season, then he certainly won't have his feet held to the fire next year with the season resting on the shoulders of three sophomores.

Edited by EGL66
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

I'll say this...

How many of us came on this board after learning about CJ or JW and said 'we're done' or 'well, there's always next year'?

And yet JJ made this team play well at the right time and if it weren't for one player getting hotter than the sun on that particular night, the mean green would have been dancing...

JJ has built this program from the ground up.. And unless he turns in 3 straight losing seasons.... I see no reason to fire him

• Upvote 4

No, I agree with most of the opinions over here, including most in this thread. I don't think I would read a board whose majority of op's differed with mine to the point that they annoyed or upset me.

Two things...

1. I think you're confusing "annoy" with "bemuse whilst amusing."

2. Limiting one's self to being associated with only like-minded individuals leads to very shallow and uninformed opinions. Dissent leads to questioning one's own thoughts and ideas...which in turn leads to knowledge.

I like knowledge...and as such, I like dissent. Since you and some ten other people decided you'd had to go create another board since your dissent wasn't receiving the reverence someone of your self-presumed stature deserved...ya...I go read your board. Typically with a wry smile and a shaking head.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I'll say this...

How many of us came on this board after learning about CJ or JW and said 'we're done' or 'well, there's always next year'?

And yet JJ made this team play well at the right time and if it weren't for one player getting hotter than the sun on that particular night, the mean green would have been dancing...

JJ has built this program from the ground up.. And unless he turns in 3 straight losing seasons.... I see no reason to fire him

Guilty.

Good Point.

I'll say this...

Meh.... You're giving credit where credit is due. Round these parts we like to give blame wherever we can shoehorn it in.

Goober.

• Upvote 2

Two things...

1. I think you're confusing "annoy" with "bemuse whilst amusing."

2. Limiting one's self to being associated with only like-minded individuals leads to very shallow and uninformed opinions. Dissent leads to questioning one's own thoughts and ideas...which in turn leads to knowledge.

I like knowledge...and as such, I like dissent. Since you and some ten other people decided you'd had to go create another board since your dissent wasn't receiving the reverence someone of your self-presumed stature deserved...ya...I go read your board. Typically with a wry smile and a shaking head.

Ok, but three more things.

1. I didn't first use "annoyed", CMJ did. I was just responding back to him.

2. Seems like a long winded explanation to simply say, "I wished the complainers would come back over here to play"? I could be wrong on that? I'm just guessing of course.

3. By the way, I may have missed it, but I don't believe there's another current thread anywhere else but here discussing ultimatums for our basketball coach? Knowledge tells me that is ironic.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I'm not really sure what we're debating here.

JJ took a team that lost two of its top three players to the conference championship. He took a team that most people (myself included) were dead in the water.

We've made the conference championship two years in a row (and 4 times in the past 6 years).

As far as I can tell, we're complaining about the RPI of the teams that we play. We are saying that we should play teams with a higher RPI, so when we DO make the tourny, we have a shot of grabbing a 15 or 14 seed. JJ has proven that he can take his team to the tourny (or darn close). He's doing his job as far as I'm concerned. Now deciding what seed they get once they get in - to me that's something that has a lot more factors in it then how JJ coaches.

I'm fairly confident JJ is doing his job basically perfectly.

I'm not really sure what we're debating here.

JJ took a team that lost two of its top three players to the conference championship. He took a team that most people (myself included) were dead in the water.

We've made the conference championship two years in a row (and 4 times in the past 6 years).

As far as I can tell, we're complaining about the RPI of the teams that we play. We are saying that we should play teams with a higher RPI, so when we DO make the tourny, we have a shot of grabbing a 15 or 14 seed. JJ has proven that he can take his team to the tourny (or darn close). He's doing his job as far as I'm concerned. Now deciding what seed they get once they get in - to me that's something that has a lot more factors in it then how JJ coaches.

I'm fairly confident JJ is doing his job basically perfectly.

Actually, JJ took teams to the tournament championship, NT was not close to a conference championship. You can argue in the Belt that the tournament is much more important. A rpi in the 190's is not going to get you many fans that think you are doing the impossible which is what doing your job perfectly would be. Also I don't think using the academic problems is an excuse for the lack of greater success is entirely valid. Who recruited those players and who had responsibility to see that they remained academically eligible? Sure the first and foremost responsibility lied with the players, and there is a staff of people supposed to be overseeing their academics. The issue with me is why did JJ not recognize that there were dire academic issues and if he did why did he keep playing Williams and Jones heavy minutes and not better preparing his team for their lost.

Any criticism of JJ is treated by some on this board has blasphemy and end of season tournament runs have been great but the facts are that the last two seasons have not been particularly stellar. In 2010-2011, a veteran team and overwhelming favorite in the Belt falls far short and last year team with the best recruiting class arguably in history goes 9-7 in the conference and is upstaged by another team full of newcomers, WKU in the tournament. I don't think JJ and squad had a bad year under the circumstances, but it was far from perfect.

I also wonder why you separate the rpi and tournament performance as they relate to coaching. The rpi is related more to the whole season, while tournament performance is related to achievements in the four days of the tournament, but both are a function of coaching,

As an aside, I never considered the query "does JJ need to go to March Madness" about his possible termination as some. To me it is about what does he have to do to move the program and his career forward.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Actually, JJ took teams to the tournament championship, NT was not close to a conference championship. You can argue in the Belt that the tournament is much more important. A rpi in the 190's is not going to get you many fans that think you are doing the impossible which is what doing your job perfectly would be. Also I don't think using the academic problems is an excuse for the lack of greater success is entirely valid. Who recruited those players and who had irresponsibility to see that they remained academically eligible? Sure the first and foremost responsibility lied with the players, and there is a staff of people supposed to be overseeing their academics. The issue with me is why did JJ not recognize that there were dire academic issues and if he did why did he keep playing Williams and Jones heavy minutes and not better preparing his team for their lost.

Any criticism of JJ is treated by some on this board has blasphemy and end of season tournament runs have been great but the facts are that the last two seasons have not been particularly stellar. In 2010-2011, a veteran team and overwhelming favorite in the Belt falls far short and last year team with the best recruiting class arguably in history goes 9-7 in the conference and is upstaged by another team full of newcomers, WKU in the tournament. I don't think JJ and squad had a bad year under the circumstances, but it was far from perfect.

I also wonder why you separate the rpi and tournament performance as they relate to coaching. The rpi is related more to the whole season, while tournament performance is related to achievements in the four days of the tournament, but both are a function of coaching,

As an aside, I never considered the query "does JJ need to go to March Madness" about his possible termination as some. To me it is about what does he have to do to move the program and his career forward.

1. You're right- I mispoke. But to me, conference regular season championship means not a whole lot to me. His record in the Sun Belt Tourny Speaks for itself- at least to me.

2. The coach doesn't pick our opponents. We always fair decently against the Big 12 teams that come to the Pit. I would just like us to play some teams with a higher RPI before we get into conference play. We can accomplish this by playing some of the larger conferences. We hardly ever tap the upper level BBall conferences.

I'll be happy with a winning season and a shot at the winning the conference tourny every year. JJ brings stability and consistent winning to the table. And I'll take that.

Sometimes one just has to wonder in amazement........some amazing stuff here folks. But, really, hasn't this thread pretty much seen better days? Like UNT90 said, when it turns to posting on a message board about posting on another message board, it's time to turn on the Animal Planet I think....Hall of fame worthy maybe?