UNT Basketball lands local guard

Brett Vito

Argyle guard Clarke Overlander has committed to UNT, his AAU coach Vonzell Thomas said this afternoon.

DRC

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Just keeping up with him on Facebook. Our once fan favorite has moved on and is full-blooded pony boy now.

For example:

Once after bragging about the postseason tournament his new school bought its way into, he said it was the most fun he's ever had playing basketball and was the best team he's ever been a part of.

Someone asked him about his conference championship teams and NCAA tourney appearances at UNT and he simply laughed at them.

Sorry Collin, but good riddance.

Saw him play a little bit in that tournamnt vs jacksonville and he was a non factor. Ive never seen him play well! Not even in the rec, hell he barely could compete in there unlike most other unt players!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sad to hear Mangrum has changed his view of UNT!!! I didn't read his facebook page because I'm not big on social networking. Does Mangrum really believe without his time under JJ at UNT that he'd even have a shot a playing for SMU!! It's one thing to become ungrateful, but by discounting what he had here at UNT without seeing that he'd never have an opportunity at SMU makes one think "how did this guy get a degree at UNT"? Much less get into law school at SMU, if his cridical thinks skills are so poor!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, I'm sad to hear Mangrum has soured on us. He really gave his all for us, and JJ and he seemed to have a good relationship. Not to mention he's the only player in NT history to be on two NCAA tournament teams.

• Upvote 1

I believe we'll be able to add a few players to the "two time NCAA appearance" with UNT over the next few years. Hopefully those players won't sour on their experience here at UNT after their careers end. Mangrum did give "his all" when he was here and that's why his comments are so unusual to hear form him. Manqrum was one of my favorites because he wasn't the most talent on the team, but always "gave it his all" on the court, and off for that matter. Again, strange comments to hear from him. Oh well, I can say I still appreciate what he did at UNT even after hearing his comments.

Only thing I can think of is Mangrum see's his future at a law firm owned or where the hiring authority is also a SMU grad., or maybe he's banking on SMU Alumni as his client base after he gets his law degree. I'm sure Mangrum believes an SMU Alumni's net worth would far exceed a UNT grad.'s net worth or earning potential. Just don't know, that's why Collin's comments seen so strange.

Collin did a lot for us, but if he is willing to turn his back (emotionally at least) on us because of a couple wins in the CIT, then good riddance.

It's kind of like stalking an ex on FB. What's she going to do, bash her new flame and pine for you after she moved on?

It sucks to read, but he would be a pretty crappy teammate to his current squad to be invested anywhere else.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's kind of like stalking an ex on FB. What's she going to do, bash her new flame and pine for you after she moved on?

It sucks to read, but he would be a pretty crappy teammate to his current squad to be invested anywhere else.

Except he isn't on their team or anyone's team now....

Except he isn't on their team or anyone's team now....

I know that, but he played and contributed and got to feel like less of an outsider. I'm not saying I like it, just that I get it. I have no interest in digging through a young man's FB post history, but as long as he is not actively discrediting us or working against us, I'm just going to shrug my shoulders and move on.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Is it a safe bet Collin won't be a MGC contributor, or be seen at any upcoming Men's BB home games?

Yes, this thread was totally Hi Jacked!!!

Glad JJ was able to get good local recruit from Argyle!!! Looks like he's deadly shooter from anywhere on the court!

Edited by UNTMike81
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'll say this about Mangrum - The dude loves basketball and works harder than anyone I have ever seen! He's also just a flat out amazing athlete the ability of which he never got to showcase at UNT. You might see a glimpse of it when he made a steal and flashed down the court for a full on slam. Y'all forget about those? How bout chasing that KSU guard down, in OKC, for the block which wasn't a foul? Perhaps the 19 points in December 08? How was he rewarded? Not at all.

Jones gave Collin no leash whatsoever when on the court and had him in knots about making mistakes. Yet he gave all the room in the world for a few other players to make all the mistakes they wanted. Collin was asked and expected early in his UNT career to play through injuries which led to surgery and frustration.

His final year he put all his chips in and got himself as ready as he could possibly be. He was never more excited than he was for that season. He said he felt physically fit and healthy; he was ready to give everything he had for UNT and Jones didn't give him the opportunity. He was angry, embarrassed, and felt like he wasted 4 years of his life. He just wanted a fresh start and so he went to SMU.

While there he gave them all of his love b/c they loved him back. Dougherty gave him wiggle room and worked with him. Collin came on against Memphis and had 13. How was he rewarded? With a start and he didn't disappoint. Started every game from there on out. A stretch that saw SMU make a great run to finish the season.

Finally, yes Collin praised SMU every chance he got (you have problems if you follow his FB page and dont know him and then use it on a msg board; it's UNT BB for cryin out loud) but he never worked against UNT. His only interest in UNT was to show himself that he was more than what he exhibited while at UNT. He did that and ended his college career on his terms. He's now training his guts out once again to make a move for an NBDL team while finishing his masters at SMU. <Obviously I know him better than you so put my words above all the specualtion. And as for the rec center comment, it's a good thing UNT's colors are green to cover your envious green skin. Keep watching rec center basketball and convincing yourself your an expert on evaluating talent.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

I'll say this about Mangrum - The dude loves basketball and works harder than anyone I have ever seen! He's also just a flat out amazing athlete the ability of which he never got to showcase at UNT. You might see a glimpse of it when he made a steal and flashed down the court for a full on slam. Y'all forget about those? How bout chasing that KSU guard down, in OKC, for the block which wasn't a foul? Perhaps the 19 points in December 08? How was he rewarded? Not at all.

Jones gave Collin no leash whatsoever when on the court and had him in knots about making mistakes. Yet he gave all the room in the world for a few other players to make all the mistakes they wanted. Collin was asked and expected early in his UNT career to play through injuries which led to surgery and frustration.

His final year he put all his chips in and got himself as ready as he could possibly be. He was never more excited than he was for that season. He said he felt physically fit and healthy; he was ready to give everything he had for UNT and Jones didn't give him the opportunity. He was angry, embarrassed, and felt like he wasted 4 years of his life. He just wanted a fresh start and so he went to SMU.

While there he gave them all of his love b/c they loved him back. Dougherty gave him wiggle room and worked with him. Collin came on against Memphis and had 13. How was he rewarded? With a start and he didn't disappoint. Started every game from there on out. A stretch that saw SMU make a great run to finish the season.

Finally, yes Collin praised SMU every chance he got (you have problems if you follow his FB page and dont know him and then use it on a msg board; it's UNT BB for cryin out loud) but he never worked against UNT. His only interest in UNT was to show himself that he was more than what he exhibited while at UNT. He did that and ended his college career on his terms. He's now training his guts out once again to make a move for an NBDL team while finishing his masters at SMU. <Obviously I know him better than you so put my words above all the specualtion. And as for the rec center comment, it's a good thing UNT's colors are green to cover your envious green skin. Keep watching rec center basketball and convincing yourself your an expert on evaluating talent.

Well he sure told us! I can appreciate one defending a friend. But the original topic was Overlander and I was merely stating my opinion that there should really be no comparison between the 2 and why I feel that way. Real ballers recognize and appreciate talent! And to claim that I am envious leads me to ask,,, of what?!? Not my style! I commend all young men who play this game for the love and enjoy seeing guys take full advantage of their opportunities. But I must be honest in saying your boy wasn't that good, sorry that's just how I feel! I still wish him the best! Overlander will contribute off top!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

He's now training his guts out once again to make a move for an NBDL

Hi Collin! nice to have you on GMG.com!

Is the NBDL like that Tournament you guys played in? If you're willing to give them enough money will they let you play?

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think it may say more about the level of play going from UNT to SMU, than it says about the ability of Collin. He was a nice role player while he was here, but he might have been one of the nicest players at SMU. Really wish him the best.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1