Soccer Lands Three Denton Guyer Commits

UNTDude

Nice BV article in the DRC regarding three Denton Guyer commits for the Class of 2012. Link: http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/college/stories/DRC_untsoccer_0529.368091e2b.html .

Coach Hedlund and women’s soccer program is really doing well in landing early recruits. The 2011 class was announced last February, 2012 is all wrapped up and the program even has one of the stronger players in the Metroplex signed for 2013. I agree with BV’s article in that recruits want to play soccer at UNT because: 1.) It’s a winning program. 2.) They play a tough D1 schedule… and beat larger conference teams. 3.) Very nice facilities (Although a permanent ticket office with snack bar and restrooms would be nice..hint, hint)

Hopefully in the not too distant future this model will work for Coach Mac and the football program. Basketball, Soccer, Golf, T&F are all doing a great job of recruiting some of the highest D1 caliber athletes. All it takes is a few wins to open the flood gates………GMG

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

quote name='Harry' timestamp='1306978977' post='567175']

These are very very good players!

Word on the Hulstein kid that she turn down solid offers from Nebraska, OU, SMU and Memphis....great pickup. :goodjob:

DFW soccer is the best in the nation similar to football. If we continue to tap into programs like Sting we will be very pleased with the results!

Great job coach Hedlund. I hope you also saw the quotes about Coach Hedlund. UNT has a legit program and one that many schools would love to have. The DFW area is, indeed, a great recruiting ground for soccer players. I actually help recruit on the men's side for the United States merchant marine Academy located in Kings Point, NY. We sign one-three local DFW players every year. I cannot tell you how it breaks my heart not to be doing this for UNT.

It is great that UNT's women's team has been built into a contender...I see no reason why this team is not in the NCAA's within a year or two! You go ladies!

GO MEAN GREEN!

I believe the UNT soccer program is positioned better than ever to continue to land the highest quality D1 recruits out of the metroplex.

One additional factor that comes into play is woman's soccer is an equivalency type scholarship. Meaning, Woman's soccer is allowed 14 scholarships which at the D1 level can be full or partial rides. With rosters exceeding 20 players these days they are used and divided very carefully. The value of an athletic scholarship can very greatly between institutions with out of state and private schools valued much higher (Say $35,000 - $50,000 per year).

In these economic times, many top athletes and their families are now weighing the value of a partial scholarship at more expensive schools verse the value of staying in state at a great school and program like UNT. Some of the best players in the country are invited walk-ons at schools like ND, NC or TAMU and contrary to what their parents may tell you, those that do get scholarships may only be getting a 20%-40% scholarship,(in some cases just books). Unless you are fortunate to get a full ride the cost of financing an education is very pertinent in most families decisions.

As we see in the article and with recent recruiting classes, UNT Soccer is now filling their scholarships very early with highly rated athletes sooner than many other D1 programs. It's a tribute to a great school, soccer program, and winning! It appears a number of UNT's sports are becoming a primary destination for many top athletes and it's really cool to see the perceptual change before our eyes. GMG

• Upvote 1

I believe the UNT soccer program is positioned better than ever to continue to land the highest quality D1 recruits out of the metroplex.

One additional factor that comes into play is woman's soccer is an equivalency type scholarship. Meaning, Woman's soccer is allowed 14 scholarships which at the D1 level can be full or partial rides. With rosters exceeding 20 players these days they are used and divided very carefully. The value of an athletic scholarship can very greatly between institutions with out of state and private schools valued much higher (Say $35,000 - $50,000 per year).

In these economic times, many top athletes and their families are now weighing the value of a partial scholarship at more expensive schools verse the value of staying in state at a great school and program like UNT. Some of the best players in the country are invited walk-ons at schools like ND, NC or TAMU and contrary to what their parents may tell you, those that do get scholarships may only be getting a 20%-40% scholarship,(in some cases just books). Unless you are fortunate to get a full ride the cost of financing an education is very pertinent in most families decisions.

As we see in the article and with recent recruiting classes, UNT Soccer is now filling their scholarships very early with highly rated athletes sooner than many other D1 programs. It's a tribute to a great school, soccer program, and winning! It appears a number of UNT's sports are becoming a primary destination for many top athletes and it's really cool to see the perceptual change before our eyes. GMG

THIS! I see this all the time as I recruit men for the Merchant Marine Academy's soccer program. I have parents say they are already getting a scholarship from "XYZ" so really are not interested. I then see the coach on the field from that "XYZ" college, talk to him about how they handle scholarships and find that most are getting partials, some only books or help with housing and nothing guaranteed after the first year! Great! With the Merchant marine Academy it is 100% a full ride including books and housing and meals. A bit of a difference, and if you don't continue to stay on the soccer team, that 100% full ride stays with you! Yes, it is a "different" type of college, but it's a great education at a great price.

Finances are very much coming into play these days with both men and women soccer players and their families. UNTDude's comments are "spot on" about our great local women's team players. UNT is poised to become one of the country's premier programs, not just one of the best in the area.

GO MEAN GREEN...GO MEAN GREEN SOCCER!