GoMeanGreen.com

Harry
Staying close to home was one Dylan McDorman’s priorities when it came time to decide where to continue his football career.

But it was more than just proximity that led the Wichita Falls Rider defensive tackle to commit to North Texas on Monday night.

McDorman also found a comfort zone was UNT’s new coaching staff and saw an opportunity to play early on for a head coach with a reputation as a defensive line guru in Dan McCarney.

“Denton’s an hour and 45 minutes on a bad day,” McDorman said. “I like the new coaching staff and coach McCarney. I like the way he talks and carries himself. Every time I saw him he shook my hand and was straight forward.”

Read More

Monkeypox

Seriously

By Monkeypox, in GoMeanGreen.com,

Much is being made about what a QB did in limited time in a game in which we were getting blown out.

Just finished watching it, since I got too mad the first time. Recap.

1) McNulty's first pass... poorly thrown on 3rd and 5. True Freshman.... possibly his worst throw of the game, including the picks.
2) Tulsa scores with ease... 5 plays, 76 yards, 1:28. Defense is a joke.
3) Next drive, our predictable, and predictably poor run game, runs for 3 yards on 3 plays (not counting McNulty's 1st down scramble). McNulty's in 3rd and 7... pick 6.
4) Next drive. Probably our best in terms of play-calling. We threw it on some 1st downs! This made more 2nd and 3rd and shorts, and we were able to convert them with the run game (using the pass to set up the run). Hamilton on the big pass play. 1st and goal at the 3. Can't run it in. Can't use a mobile QB (isn't this why we have him in?!). Rush rush rush rush... 0 points.
5) We FORCE A PUNT!
6) Good field position after the punt, decent run game, and pass interference get us to 1st and 10 at the 28. Holding penalty puts us out of it... 2nd and 17. Incomplete pass by McNulty. 3rd and 17... short pass... 3rd and 11. Penalty... 52 yard FG. Thank Jeebus.
7) Tulsa has a tough time the next drive... they actually have to convert a 3rd down. Otherwise... pie. A 25-yard TD pass where we missed approximately 125 tackles.
8) Good field position from Chancellor. McNulty completes a 3rd and 9 for a 37-yd pass to Chancellor. 3-for-3 on the drive. 1st and goal at the 6. The worst play McNulty made was taking the sack. But again we can't bang it in from 6 yards out. Fourth-and-23? FG Blocked. Yeahhhh.
9) Tulsa's back. 8 plays, 75 yards, 1:02. Still can't stop them. 28-3 Tulsa. Rout is on at the half.
10) McNulty picked returned 74 yards....
11) 2 bad rushes make it 3rd and 16 at the 16... McNulty converts. Another bad rush + a penalty and it's 2nd and 28. McNulty gets 16 of it back, gets sacked. Gets new life on a penalty. Another bad rush on 1st down (it's the 3rd quarter... can you see a pattern?) 3rd and ten... punt (penalty on our punt formation?)
12) A couple of plays and Tulsa had another TD. 5 plays, 81 yards, 1:57 off the clock. One pass on the drive for 60 yards.
13) Immediately after, McNulty's first pass is on 3rd and 14. Incomplete.
14) Defense gets a rare stop. McNulty completes a 46 yard pass to set up the TD.
15) NT gets the ball back at their own 1 yard line. 5 runs and a punt.
16) Tulsa puts in backups.

I was actually impressed with the true freshman QB. Two pick-6s is bad... really bad. But Tulsa could score any time they wanted to. The difference between Osborn's first TD drive and either of the ones that McNulty got us to 1st and goal? We threw on 1st down and blew their minds. The 2nd one... against backups, with a short field, after Tulsa's backups fumbled away the ball. I don't think Osborn makes a difference in the game here. We were beaten by a superior team in talent and scheme.

This board is a really strange one sometimes. A couple of weeks ago, people were wondering why Thompson was in there, because he "couldn't get it done" vs Alabama. Now we're lamenting his loss, and blaming the true freshman QB bc we couldn't run the ball or stop the Tulsa offense or block for a freaking FG.

ScreamingEaglesFan
TULSA, Okla. — North Texas’ latest run of success turned out to be like so many before it over the last seven years. It lasted just one week.

UNT came into its game against Tulsa on Saturday with a load of momentum after knocking off Indiana last week and had a chance to win consecutive games for the first time since 2004.

That chance slipped away in a 41-24 loss to the Golden Hurricane at H.A. Chapman Stadium on a night UNT was forced to make a switch at quarterback. Freshman Andrew McNulty made his first start in place of Derek Thompson, who led UNT to its win over Indiana and started the Mean Green’s first four games of the season.

Click Here to Read More

Harry
On if the North Texas game is a big one for the team...

I think it's real big. Winning solves a whole lot of issues. We all want to get back on the winning track. I really wish North Texas wasn't really good, but unfortunately they've shown they are a much improved team and playing at a much higher level. It's going to take a great effort from us to get going and get out of the gates quickly. If you analyze where we are, we haven't started well in any game except the Oklahoma State game and that was after a three-hour delay. I don't know if that counts as starting fast.

http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092611aaa.html

Skipper
Paul Bottoni / Senior Staff Writer - UNT football player Brelan Chancellor is, quite literally, turning heads. The speedy wide receiver and kick returner ranks No. 15 in all of college football for all-purpose yardage this season. Described by his coaches and teammates as a man of few words, Chancellor has impressed with his work ethic and talent. “He’s a great athlete and player,” redshirt sophomore quarterback Derek Thompson said. “He is quiet; he doesn’t do a whole lot of talking, but [rather] with his performance on the field. He comes to work every day, and it shows.” Inspiration from [...]

View the full article

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.