A little taste of ESSC

UNT 90 Grad

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Don't the cheerleaders wear about the same amount of clothes as hooters girls? Does that make football not so family friendly too?

The kid does express verbal and physical discomfort when the UNT dancers come out. Everybody likes to look at a pretty girl. I'm no different. But of all the things I don't shelter my kid from, I prefer her to be around adult women who are professionally accomplished in areas other than having a nice rack. That is just my opinion though. Nothing more, nothing less.

Problem is, that doesn't make it right. I hope we are never compared to the fans at LSU. I agree with 90, believe it or not, keep it in the bar and out of the stadium.

I would take 100k crowds and championship football for a little F-bomb here and there. So would you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't bring little kids to bars or student sections. Problem solved.

Problem is incorporating it in the fight song and yelling it so louud in unison that kids everywhere in the stadium can hear it. It was heard in the club level last year.

Some of you youngsters think that cussing makes you look cool, when the reality is that when you do it in a public it makes you look immature and uneducated.

Especially when you chant it in the school fight song at a football game in front of alumni.

• Upvote 2

Problem is incorporating it in the fight song and yelling it so louud in unison that kids everywhere in the stadium can hear it. It was heard in the club level last year.

Some of you youngsters think that cussing makes you look cool, when the reality is that when you do it in a public it makes you look immature and uneducated.

Especially when you chant it in the school fight song at a football game in front of alumni.

Belittling things that you don't like and writing them off as "youngsters" trying to "look cool" is a pretty weak argument. Again I will mention Hotty Totty:

"Are you ready?!

HELLLLL YEAH! DAAAAAAMN RIGHT!

Hotty Totty gosh almighty,

who the hell are we?

Flim Flam, bim bam

Ole miss, by damn!"

Sung loudly every Saturday in the grove around what I'm sure is a sizable amount of young people. It is not the community's job to parent children, it is the parent's. Again, not an F bomb but still not "G-rated"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not without the green pants

I had the green pants on! You just didn't notice.

Bars. Whatever. I'll agree.

Student Section. Now, we're on to something... and it's not about little kids. It's about the fight song and how it has stood the test of time as a song that represents our University, yet for some reason, 2012 was the perfect time to alter the song, in an immature way??

This started happening long before 2012.

This sounds like a wrinkled dollar bill argument. We are looking past the fact that young and older alums are enjoying a loud rendition of the fight song TOGETHER at a public location. It's fantastic -- it breeds other young fans to step forward and join in. That is what is important. I don't love the cursing but it seems like a minor issue compared to seeing our fans (young and old) join together behind a mutual cause. If you don't like the curse words then refrain from saying it but don't criticize or alienate others who choose to do it.

And BTW even if you decided to try and keep others from cursing ...how exactly are you going to accomplish this?

This sounds like a wrinkled dollar bill argument. We are looking past the fact that young and older alums are enjoying a loud rendition of the fight song TOGETHER at a public location. It's fantastic -- it breeds other young fans to step forward and join in. That is what is important. I don't love the cursing but it seems like a minor issue compared to seeing our fans (young and old) join together behind a mutual cause. If you don't like the curse words then refrain from saying it but don't criticize or alienate others who choose to do it.

And BTW even if you decided to try and keep others from cursing ...how exactly are you going to accomplish this?

For the record, I'm not a huge fan of the cursing alteration. I just think it's unimaginative. However, I think throwing stones at students is just a futile and divisive way to get your feathers ruffled. You make an excellent point, Harry. We should be happy that there are people together singing our Alma Mater's fight song and that they have a reason to do so with pride!

Belittling things that you don't like and writing them off as "youngsters" trying to "look cool" is a pretty weak argument. Again I will mention Hotty Totty:

"Are you ready?!

who the hell are we?

Flim Flam, bim bam

Ole miss, by damn!"

Sung loudly every Saturday in the grove around what I'm sure is a sizable amount of young people. It is not the community's job to parent children, it is the parent's. Again, not an F bomb but still not "G-rated"

Ya... Not the f word.

And using the juvenile argument "Southern Miss parents let them do it, so why can't we" kinda makes my point, don't ya think?

Like it or not, adults create the rules we live by. Using the F word in the school fight song makes you sound uneducated and immature. That is simply a fact. Students have already changed the way the fight song is played by the band at football and basketball games.

You don't go by the rules, you are punished. And the alumni are punished with you.

A little growing up would go a long way here.

Edited by UNT90

I'm young and try to refrain from the MF'er part but it can slip (After a few drinks). I don't have kids so it can slip sometimes but if I ever did it in front of children I try to apologize immediately. I don't think it's college kids thinking we are cool, I think it's just after a few drinks and excitement it can slip when you are in the moment. Plus the freshmen think its funny, doubt anyone on this board is still giggling about a bad word, we've just always heard it ever since we were freshmen at games. Didn't even realize it was a new thing..

Ya... Not the f word.

And using the juvenile argument "Southern Miss parents let them do it, so why can't we" kinda makes my point, don't ya think?

First of all, that's Ole Miss, not Southern Miss. Secondly, it has nothing to do with "parents letting them". That's just absurd. People of all ages sing that chant loudly and unabashedly. It's on the school's Wiki page for pete's sake. I think getting up in arms about something that offends you is the worst way to get it to stop. If we pay no mind, the trend might die. If it doesn't, that's fine. What are we going to do about it anyway?

Completely agree with you when it's done in a bar.

Disagree when it's done in the stadium. And we all saw how you keep people from doing it. The band alters the fight song.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

I had the green pants on! You just didn't notice.

Recall that the first time I saw the green pants, I had to ask you what color there were because I can't see it. I exercise my Americans With Disabilities Act rights and privileges hereforthwith harumph harumph and whatnot.

• Upvote 1

First of all, that's Ole Miss, not Southern Miss. Secondly, it has nothing to do with "parents letting them". That's just absurd. People of all ages sing that chant loudly and unabashedly. It's on the school's Wiki page for pete's sake. I think getting up in arms about something that offends you is the worst way to get it to stop. If we pay no mind, the trend might die. If it doesn't, that's fine. What are we going to do about it anyway?

So again, if Johnny's parents do it, you should be allowed to do it...

Except do it even more vulgar than Johnny...

"Are you ready?!

who the hell are we?

Flim Flam, bim bam

Ole miss, by damn!"

Big difference, for me, between a chant cheer like this and the school's actual Fight Song. 2 different things.

So again, if Johnny's parents do it, you should be allowed to do it...

Except do it even more vulgar than Johnny...

Missed the point. Are you a congressman perhaps? My point was that it is part of many a storied tradition to incorporate "rough" language into football chants. That's it. Again I'll say that I'm not for it but getting upset about it is just nitpicking IMHO. Regardless, it sure is nice to have a reason to sing that song so many times in one night. Kumbaya

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Except for the fact that there's only one road game left this year, and that I am considering going to it, I will totally keep going to ESSC to watch games, F-bombs or no F-bombs. If basketball has anything contracted for television like football does, and people can stomach watching basketball Dodgeball on TV, I bet ESSC will have that going to.

Then, when the off season arrives, I'll migrate down the street to OSDH&CP, F-Bombs or no F-Bombs.

In fact, we stopped in at OSDH&CP before the game on Saturday. They didn't have any of the fancy schmancy soda bottles that they used to, so the bartender up and made a soda for my kid. I'm not sure what ingredients he used, but I'm fairly certain I saw some unicorn farts and wizard blood go into that glass because it was really, really good.

Bottom line, F-bombs, no F-bombs, penises drawn on the picnic tables outside or not, I've never had more pleasant watching experiences that at John's joints. He and his staff have always gone out of their way to make me, my guests, and my kid welcome. I'll suffer through a few profane outbursts.

• Upvote 1

Missed the point. Are you a congressman perhaps? My point was that it is part of many a storied tradition to incorporate "rough" language into football chants. That's it. Again I'll say that I'm not for it but getting upset about it is just nitpicking IMHO. Regardless, it sure is nice to have a reason to sing that song so many times in one night. Kumbaya

So me one other school that has tolerated the F word smack dab in the middle of their fight songs. Just one.

Coom by ya.

The first collegiate fight song I ever learned. Warning. You may want to avert your eyes.

Oh, they had a little party down in Newport;
There was Harry, there was Mary, there was Grace.
Oh, they had a little party down in Newport,
And they had to carry Harry from the place.
Oh, they had to carry Harry to the ferry,
And the ferry carried Harry to the shore;
And the reason that they had to carry Harry to the ferry
Was that Harry couldn’t carry any more.
For California, for California,
The hills send back the cry,
We’re out to do or die,
For California, for California,
We’ll win the game or know the reason why.
And when the game is over, we will buy a keg of booze,
And drink to California ‘till we wobble in our shoes.
So drink, tra la la,
Drink, tra la la,
Drink, drank, drunk last night,
Drunk the night before;
Gonna get drunk tonight
Like I never got drunk before;
For when I’m drunk, I’m as happy as can be
For I am member of the Souse family.
Now the Souse family is the best family
That ever came over from old Germany.
There’s the Highland Dutch, and the Lowland Dutch,
The Rotterdam Dutch, and the Irish.
Sing glorious, victorious,
One keg of beer for the four of us.
Sing glory be to God that there are no more of us,
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
Here’s to the Irish, dead drunk. The lucky stiffs….

Not included is the epilogue that involves a rambunctious grandfather, and outhouse door, and a willing, if somewhat reluctant grandmother.

So me one other school that has tolerated the F word smack dab in the middle of their fight songs. Just one.

Coom by ya.

This is what comes to mind. Not official, mind you, but still heard on Saturday nights in Death Valley. Loud and clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLaOTrVXWso

But really this is all just silly. I'm not advocating its use. This issue has come up more than a few times and I feel like the negative hype behind it far outweighs the actual damage done. Not looking for an internet battle, my friend.

This is what comes to mind. Not official, mind you, but still heard on Saturday nights in Death Valley. Loud and clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLaOTrVXWso

But really this is all just silly. I'm not advocating its use. This issue has come up more than a few times and I feel like the negative hype behind it far outweighs the actual damage done. Not looking for an internet battle, my friend.

You are just no fun. ;)

I just hope we can go back to the days of the band playing the complete fight song. I think we heard this in earlier home games this year, but I doubt we hear it Thursday night, with it being nationally televised and all.

For the record, I'm not a huge fan of the cursing alteration. I just think it's unimaginative. However, I think throwing stones at students is just a futile and divisive way to get your feathers ruffled. You make an excellent point, Harry. We should be happy that there are people together singing our Alma Mater's fight song and that they have a reason to do so with pride!

I agree with what you said. I think the only time I dropped the F-bomb is when we beat Tech at home in basketball.

However, if it gets students pumped up and in to the game. Then let it rip.

We don't need 10k people drinking beer and liquor outside the stadium before the game. Not with all those little kids running around seeing people drink to drunkenness. Classless. Ruining our children and what is otherwise a beautiful pre-game picnic.

We don't need 5k college aged girls running around in their short, above the knee skirts, and cowboy boots at the stadium, their cleavage hanging and faces painted up like a bunch of $2 whores.

We don't need these hooligan college kids singing "mother fucker" in our beloved school song. Classless. Immature. And that's not the way it was written got dammit.

See my sig for how I really feel.

For those so aghast at what those rapscallions are doing to the fight song I encourage you to slip in the words "Mean Green" in place of MF and sing louder than the kids across the field.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Coom by ya.

here ya go

pretty clear..."Fuck SC". As in USC.

Buddy on my soccer team went to UCLA and says the student section sings that every time regardless of who the bruins are playing.

So now we can be mad about the cursing AND the fact that we're ripping off another schools traditions! FIRST DOWN!

Edited by adman
  • Upvote 2