UNT Student Union Master Plan Project Blog

3XNTGRAD

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Was looking this over today. Pretty impressive. Have to say though that I was a bit saddened by the fact that all my prior hangouts are disappearing or being totally redone to the point where they are nearly unrecognizable in my memory as their prior versions. I have heard similar comments from some older alums on this site as well from the 60's or earlier. This will be a great asset to the university when completed.

The only place in the Union I will miss is that place in the lower level where you could get beers. I will also miss the arcade that had that sweet Cyberball game I spent countless hours and quarters on between classes!

The only place in the Union I will miss is that place in the lower level where you could get beers. I will also miss the arcade that had that sweet Cyberball game I spent countless hours and quarters on between classes!

It was called the Rock Bottom Lounge when I was there. They started serving Sam Adams early on, and often had the One O'Clock and Two O'Clock Lab bands for concerts. Listening to some great musicians, having a few beers, and walking home afterwards was just an awesome time.

Cyberball was a great way to kill time between classes, but they also had the NBA Jam game as well. Good times.

• Upvote 1

It was called the Rock Bottom Lounge when I was there. They started serving Sam Adams early on, and often had the One O'Clock and Two O'Clock Lab bands for concerts. Listening to some great musicians, having a few beers, and walking home afterwards was just an awesome time.

Cyberball was a great way to kill time between classes, but they also had the NBA Jam game as well. Good times.

LOL yes NBA Jams was also fun! Good memories for sure.

The RBL was great. But in the early 80s the Feds forced the states to up the drinking age from 18 to 21, and there was no longer demand for a bar on campus. :angry:

There used to be a damn bar on campus? Damn it, that sounds awesome. I guess I can't complain though, I got Apogee Stadium and Tony Mitchell in my first year on campus.

• Upvote 1

There used to be a damn bar on campus? Damn it, that sounds awesome. I guess I can't complain though, I got Apogee Stadium and Tony Mitchell in my first year on campus.

Welcome aboard UNTstormchaser! Glad to have you on here.

The RBL was great. But in the early 80s the Feds forced the states to up the drinking age from 18 to 21, and there was no longer demand for a bar on campus. :angry:

I'm not sure why, but compared to other state schools the UNT student population doesn't go out to bars near as much. Hence, the extremely low drink prices.

Watched the video again. The new union dwarfs the old one. Size difference is impressive and really changes the look of the center of campus.

Wasn't there a huge blowup last time it got asked to review and resubmit and several said it was to be expected?

It was never an issue of the other Texas schools trying to hold us back. Sometines I wish people would get over the "little man's syndrome" that they have with UNT.

Yes, the official word was that someone in our system had the grand idea to roll all of the projects associated with the Union (the new Union itself, the removal of buildings around it and their subsequent replacements) as one single request of the THECB, rather than submit them separately as they are supposed to. This made the total cost-per-square foot of the project skyrocket and go over the THECB guidelines. UNT just straightened that out and resubmitted them separately.

Wonder if there's going to be some sort of One O'Clock lounge.. You would think there would certainly be some sort of One O'Clock lounge...

Yes, and in reference to some other posters of the RBL and its successor the Syndicate, they'll both be replaced. The Oo'CLounge will actually be able to expand its stage to both indoors and outdoors.

As seen here: http://youtu.be/XRzjUuDxrz8?t=7m9s

• Upvote 2

This is important to me and for that reason I almost posted it to the football forum, where it would be seen. When Richard Rafes was on campus, a gazebo was erected for outdoor musical entertainment, etc., and students and alumni purchased engraved bricks in honor of individuals and/or organizations that were important to them to help pay for it. My question is whether the gazebo will remain where it is or be replaced by the Union expansion...and if it is replaced by the Union, will it and all of the engraved bricks be moved (as I certainly hope) or discarded?

• Downvote 1

This is important to me and for that reason I almost posted it to the football forum, where it would be seen. When Richard Rafes was on campus, a gazebo was erected for outdoor musical entertainment, etc., and students and alumni purchased engraved bricks in honor of individuals and/or organizations that were important to them to help pay for it. My question is whether the gazebo will remain where it is or be replaced by the Union expansion...and if it is replaced by the Union, will it and all of the engraved bricks be moved (as I certainly hope) or discarded?

I just saw a model of the new Union and surrounding buildings at a tree lighting in Stovall Hall yesterday and the model still had the gazebo in the same place it currently is, so fingers crossed! I had heard from someone a long time ago that they planned on relocating it somehow. Maybe they abandoned that plan.