UNT, FIU, Utah State "done deals" for Alliance ?

MeanGreen61

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking but I don't have a lot hope for San Jose. I don't know much about them and most of that is bad.

They are in a fairly big market (Bay Area) and did get a visit from both commissioners. If 20 is the number, this is just my guess.

CUSA

East Carolina

Marshall

Southern Miss

UAB

Tulane

Tulsa

Rice

UTEP

North Texas

Florida International

MWC

Colorado State

Fresno State

Nevada

UNLV

Air Force

Wyoming

New Mexico

Hawaii (FB only)

Utah State

San Jose State

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

It depends on the criteria. The basis of the article written last week was that FIU and UNT are in and UTSA is up to third. If that is correct then they would probably go west. I think Utah State is perfered by the MWC, though. UTSA vs San Jose ... I might take UTSA.

Wondering if the pecking order in this article doesn't just apply to the CUSA group. Utah State would probably be the first add to MWC, with strong consideration for San Jose State.

Wondering if the pecking order in this article doesn't just apply to the CUSA group. Utah State would probably be the first add to MWC, with strong consideration for San Jose State.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking but I don't have a lot hope for San Jose. I don't know much about them and most of that is bad.

If it's really ALL ABOUT the market size, then why not go after MTSU? Nashville market is bigger, and MTSU is constantly winning the Bubas cup. They would be instantly competitive, rather than taking 70-0 beatings in all sports for 2 years or more like UTSA.

We have history with them, and I would think they would appease Marshall & ECU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They are in a fairly big market (Bay Area) and did get a visit from both commissioners. If 20 is the number, this is just my guess.

CUSA

East Carolina

Marshall

Southern Miss

UAB

Tulane

Tulsa

Rice

UTEP

North Texas

Florida International

MWC

Colorado State

Fresno State

Nevada

UNLV

Air Force

Wyoming

New Mexico

Hawaii (FB only)

Utah State

San Jose State

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 1

CUSA

East Carolina

Marshall

Southern Miss

UAB

Tulane

Tulsa

Rice

UTEP

North Texas

Florida International

MWC

Colorado State

Fresno State

Nevada

UNLV

Air Force

Wyoming

New Mexico

Hawaii (FB only)

Utah State

San Jose State

If right now I was betting money on the a 20 team alliance I'd bet on this. ECu won't be happy but oh, well.

• Upvote 1

It depends on the criteria. The basis of the article written last week was that FIU and UNT are in and UTSA is up to third. If that is correct then they would probably go west. I think Utah State is perfered by the MWC, though. UTSA vs San Jose ... I might take UTSA.

What article says UTSA is third behind the three teams that are "in" ?

If its only an alliance, UTEP isn't moving and this is a non-issue. All the new found UTSA love on the board is fun an all, but completely ignores the real needs of the MWC teams.

• Upvote 2

If its only an alliance, UTEP isn't moving and this is a non-issue. All the new found UTSA love on the board is fun an all, but completely ignores the real needs of the MWC teams.

It was an article from late last week: My link

Granted, it is from a UTSA source but it's a source nonetheless. The article doesn't mention Utah State or San Jose State. I agree with someone who said earlier that the "sources" the writer talked to may have meant UTSA is third for the CUSA side of the alliance.

• Upvote 1

It depends on the criteria. The basis of the article written last week was that FIU and UNT are in and UTSA is up to third.

According to a UTSA blogger. There are a lot of teams out there that would be a better fit for the Alliance, teams that have a history of playing at FBS level.

If the WAC dies, UTSA goes to the Sun Belt and that's going to be their only option other than an FCS conference.

• Upvote 1

It seems that it will be both. The alliance will start things off for a couple of years so that neither conference loses their NCAA units, exit fees from departing teams, and auto bids. During that time, the alliance will petition for an extra game for the semi finals of the conference championship. Since Hawaii is in the league, this could be tricky because teams already get an extra game for playing on the islands. After the time has elapsed and the conferences have collected all the money possible, they will merge.

As for UTSA, they had almost 5k people show up to their Spring game. To me, they are like an annoying kid brother that wants to play with the big kids. But there is no arguing that start ups have a bit of an edge over established programs in that their fan bases haven't become apathetic. Sometimes 'no history' is better than bad history.

Edited by stebo
  • Upvote 1

It was an article from late last week: My link

Granted, it is from a UTSA source but it's a source nonetheless. The article doesn't mention Utah State or San Jose State. I agree with someone who said earlier that the "sources" the writer talked to may have meant UTSA is third for the CUSA side of the alliance.

So you want to go with pro-UTSA blog over the newspaper link, that post dates your blog, and happens to be the title post for this thread?

The ball is in UTEP's court not UTSA's.

• Upvote 1

So you want to go with pro-UTSA blog over the newspaper link, that post dates your blog, and happens to be the title post for this thread?

The ball is in UTEP's court not UTSA's.

I'm not "going" with either. I'm just relaying what's been reported.

It seems that it will be both. The alliance will start things off for a couple of years so that neither conference loses their NCAA units, exit fees from departing teams, and auto bids. During that time, the alliance will petition for an extra game for the semi finals of the conference championship. Since Hawaii is in the league, this could be tricky because teams already get an extra game for playing on the islands. After the time has elapsed and the conferences have collected all the money possible, they will merge.

As for UTSA, they had almost 5k people show up to their Spring game. To me, they are like an annoying kid brother that wants to play with the big kids. But there is no arguing that start ups have a bit of an edge over established programs in that their fan bases haven't become apathetic. Sometimes 'no history' is better than bad history.

Which is why I have preached for a long time that winning games is not enough on it's own. We have to seriously look, at changing our culture.....make that take serious ACTION towards changing our culture.