GoMeanGreen.com

Harry
Courtesy: University of North Texas
Release: 08/01/11
http://www.meangreensports.com/
DENTON, Texas- The University of North Texas has announced its 2011 Athletic Hall of Fame class, headlined by all-time leading receiver Johnny Quinn.

Quinn (football), Melinda Pina (women's soccer), Bobby Way (football), and Bill Walters (track) make up the class of 2011 and give the North Texas Athletic Hall of Fame a total of 166 members.

The school's 29th all-time class will be inducted as part of the Mean Green's annual Homecoming weekend on Oct. 22.

Quinn is the all-time leading receiver in North Texas history with 2,718 yards. He was a three-time all-conference selection from 2004-06 and a first-team all-conference pick in 2006. Quinn is second in school history with 3,835 all-purpose yards for his career.

H-towngreen
Here is another verbal following "Friday Night Lights". Hopefully we'll see a few more in the coming days as it seemed to be a great event for potential recruits.

I think once we got Cam on board that pretty much sealed the deal. Boone is ranked the 11th best center in the nation. Love what we're seeing from D-Mac and company on the recruiting front.

Boone Feldt Rivals

Harry
I brought my son, daughter and friend to the event and I knew it was going to be special when I encountered traffic on Bonnie Brae. I expected there to be some people there but wow, the dirt parking lot across from the athletic center was already filling up and I was 5 minutes early!

I just can't convey the pride I felt walking into our new palace. My kids were blown away having had Fouts as the measuring stick. My son commented, "wow dad this is as nice as Cowboy stadium" which I found ironic given the fact that HKS developed both.

Anyway, here are a couple of impressions that I had from the day:

- The Wing has really grown on me. I just had to get up there and experience it for myself and there were many others who did as well. The view is tremendous and there are three seats together at the very northwest corner that I think will be scooped up fast if not already. If you have a fear of heights beware. Also, I will say if you are looking to get in shape those seats will be a good tool to do it with, I was pretty winded getting up there. It is without a doubt unique and will be something that I think fans will enjoy for many years to come.

- There is not a bad seat in the entire stadium, part of this is due to the fact that unlike Fouts you are looking down from a vertical perspective. I went to several sections of the stadium and thought to myself any one of them would be a winner for me. I think the biggest value ticket may be the seats in the north endzone. Even though you have the endzone, it is the closest to the field, and I think it will be very loud down there.

- I took the club section tour...all I can say is wow. It is very spacious and very nice. There is a cool bar which has a neon green light overt he top of it, a big ball room area that has a big football field on the wall that will mark the ball during games. Lots of windows, great views. The seats themselves are very comfortable and spacious. The pressbox section is high enough that you won't get a drop of sun by gametime and I actually felt a very nice breeze blowing through. I think anyone who visits this section will be very impressed and I would put it up against many stadiums throughout the country in terms of layout and style. RV said that they would be sold out by the time the season started (which is great) and I think they sold quite a few today.

- RV and McCarney spoke and it was very motivating. Mac is such a sincere and enthusiastic speaker. I could listen to the man all day long and would be asking for more. He spoke to the fact that they have the number 109 in the locker room. this was to signify the fact that the preseason magazines had us slated to be 109th in the country this season. He commented that we had a long way to go but wouldn't it be nice to finish better than that and as he said "stick it where the sun don't shine" of the prognosticators! The fight song was sung and played and Mac said that if our team had the heart and passion displayed by the female participants in the Football 101 event which took place earlier we would go far. My only issue was it would have been nice if they had announced over the PA system that they were speaking and where because there were a lot of fans who missed that. In hindsight they may not have had enough room in the section under the bleachers to have everyone there.

- I went down on the field and let me say that is the softest turf I have ever stepped on. The replacement turf at Fouts wasn't bad but this is clearly an improvement. The views from the field level are amazing...you really get the magnitude of the size of the stadium from down there. The scoreboard is huge and appears to have great clarity although they did not run any video or use the sound system.

- Quick tailgating note -- it appears to me that there will be a lot of good spots in the treed area over between the stadium and the old Raddison hotel area. If you can get there early enough to mark off a good sized tree or two you will have protection from the sun and a great tailgating location. There appears to be a drop off point for grills etc as you head into the Victory lot but in my mind that section over there offers the top tailgating spots. I also would like to see them consider cementing that dirt lot across from the AC. It seems like we are always needing to park there and using it today it is getting pretty dinged up and there were some nice sized potholes. It would provide additional room for AC events and could also be used as a revenue source for game day.

- Having followed the program for awhile, I had flashes of past New Orleans bowls. What I mean is there were a lot of unfamiliar (but welcomed) faces in the crowd. This is a great sign. I think a lot of it pertains to what someone mentioned earlier there is a pride about this facility that is bringing UNT alums and fans who haven't been in the mix back or in for the first time. It was great to see some old familiar faces too as I was able to run into Mean Rob, Firefightn Rick, Adler, Stebo, Hunter Green, and many others who have been around through the lean years. You got a feeling of, "Wow, we finally made it.." since for many of us the stadium was just a dream and we often wondered if it would ever happen.

- Kudos to the athletic department for throwing a good party. I saw them out there working and selling and smiling...I can't emphasize enough what a GREAT selling opportunity this was. In fact, I might suggest they do this again closer to the season for those who couldn't make it. When you get people in that stadium it truly sells itself. Yes there were some lines in the spirit shop and concessions but they weren't too bad. The hot dogs were good and it was a nice touch for them to serve beer and wine.

So a great day for North Texas it was. I was so glad to have participated in it and frankly would have been fine hanging out there for hours. The next step will be viewing the stadium with a bunch of fans in it...I can't wait to see what it looks like full! Also can't wait to be in there with the lights! GMG!

Harry
FORT WORTH — Eastland High School's Forrest Robinson was counted on to carry a big part of the load during his playing days for the Mavericks.

Playing with some of the best players in the state, the North Texas signee showed he can be a solid contributor at the next level.

Robinson scored 17 points Monday to help the North to a 103-94 victory in the 67th annual Texas High School Coaches Association All-Star Basketball Game at TCU's Daniel-Meyer Coliseum.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/jul/25/easlands-robinson-helps-lead-north-to-victory-in/

KRAM1
Folks;

I just received notice of a historic event for UNT. The invitation was titled "History Will Be Made" and it refers to the announcement on August 15th of the single largest private commitment to UNT that it has ever received.

I am extremely excited about this and cannot wait to find out the details of this historic gift for the university.

Folks, GREAT THINGS are truly happening at UNT these days, and it is a great time to be a member of the Mean Green Nation. People are definitely noticing the greatness that is YOUR UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS!!!!

Be proud...be Green!

GO MEAN GREEN & WHY NOT NORTH TEXAS INDEED!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.