GoMeanGreen.com

Harry
This article is written by Matt "Mad Dog" McCombs. As the 20-20 is currently in between blog entries, I wanted to take a second and address some of the feedback from the last two articles.

Newcomers to the 20-20 or gomeangreen.com may have noticed a microcosm of one of the classic GMG debates taking place in the forum thread attached to Part II of The Story So Far. There exists a lingering tension, found here, but also characteristic of most fan communities, between eternal optimists and bottom-line realists. The truth (which the 20-20 is dedicated to reflecting) is they are both great fans, who, by the very nature of arguing about UNT football on a message board, have pretty well labeled themselves as active participants in the process. But, passion and sports are inextricably intertwined, so there’s a natural tendency to get overworked and see the other side as “what’s wrong” with UNT athletics instead of just seeing a partner with different view.

Click Here to Read The Rest of The Story!

Mean Green 93-98
Courtesy: University of North Texas
Release: 06/23/2011

North Texas women's basketball coach Karen Aston took the reins of the program a little over two months ago and we had a chance to catch up with her and discuss a wide variety of different topics.

MeanGreenSports.com: It's been a little over two months since you have been on the job, does it seem like it's been that long?

Coach Aston: It's gone really quick and the process of it all has simply been a whirlwind. Time has gone by faster than I can blink it seems.

MeanGreenSports.com: What has been the biggest surprise that you have been encountered?

Coach Aston: You know when you have been doing it for a while nothing surprises you anymore. Maybe just the embracing of everyone. You can really tell that everyone on campus and inside the department wants this program to be successful.

I would say it's been more encouraging rather than surprising. The other area is the feedback we have been getting from people around the (DFW) metroplex. We have been reaching out to them and it's been really encouraging to see how much progress we have made with the high school coaches and the people in the community.

MeanGreenSports.com: When you on the recruiting trail, what are you pitching to the coaches and the kids about the program?

Coach Aston: I think the first thing you sell is the university. There is so much to offer here. Education has always been a positive and one of the things that is easy to sell here is that we have so many former players that have gone on to be huge successes in many different professions. Student athletes and their parents always want to know about academics and it's just really easy to talk about them and their accomplishments.

I also think the opportunity to come and make a difference in the program. I don't like to use the word rebuild because then you don't' speak of the past. I would rather tell talk about what an impact they can have on our program.

Link to MeanGreenSports Entire Article

Harry
Got a scoop off of a recent DRC Mean Green Blog article in the comments section that two new additions have been made to the roster. Denton Guyer defensive end Austin Otto and running back Jermaine Wilhite. Neither are on the official online roster yet but based on what we are hearing I expect both of them to be in the mix this Fall. Here are some video and links on the both of them:

Scout Profile

Jermaine Wilhite Video from ESPN

ESPN Profile

Rivals Profile

DRC Article mentioning Wilhite

GMG!

greenjoe
I listen to KNTU on the way home to hear the Channel 8 news. Before the Channel 8 news comes on, they have some students reading "rip and read" news. Tonight, I heard 2 stories on Oklahoma football and one about Texas football. Not a word as to whether North Texas fields a football team or not.

Hey KNTU...We're the Mean Green

bstnsportsfan3
"Movie night at Mean Green Stadium will be on Friday, August 26, 8pm on the new stadium Video Board. Free and open to the public. #MeanGreen"

That was on twitter from @MeanGreen. Smart move by the university to make it free to everyone...pack people in and let em see your new product...

anyone have a clue on what the movie will be? on twitter they said it wont be a football movie.

Marty
...is on July 26 at Cowboys Stadium. Recruits Lairamie Lee and Chad Polk will be playing.
Rosters:
http://thsca.pointstreaksites.com/files/uploaded_documents/386/Football_2011.pdf

Basketball recruit Forrest Robinson of Eastland is playing the night before(7/25) in the THSCA basketball game at Daniel Meyer Coliseum.

Brett Vito
I have yet to get him on the phone, but I did pick up confirmation from Rod Lancaster's grandmother, his current head coach and his former high school coach that he has committed to UNT.

He plays for Life School in Oak Cliff.

He's is about 6-2, 200, and is a big weight room guy who has improved his stock since he was a sophomore.

Lancaster has been an all-district selection in each of the last two years and really put himself on UNT's radar at one of the team's summer camps. Lancaster ran a 4.4 and a 4.5 40 in his two attempts. He then went head-to-head with one of UNT's top defensive back targets and won that battle five straight times.

CLICK HERE TO READ DRC FULL ARTICLE

Harry
Without playing a game, UNT has brought a substantial pool of fans to the 2011 season that have a limited history with the program. These are fans who, while interested in the new stadium, coaching staff, or the new direction and attitude of the athletic department, may not be as familiar with the history and storylines of the program. The product on the field and at the stadium will ultimately determine how many of these newfound fans stick around. However, an understanding of the path football has taken at North Texas has the power to help those on the fence become invested in the story of Mean Green nation.

To that end, the maiden voyage of the 20-20 will take new fans, as well as those who might have taken a vacation from Mean Green football, down the corridor of years to examine a brief history of events leading up to the 2011 season.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.