2012 Attendance Boosters

MeanGreenWithEnvy

This past football season was my first one spent actively checking in on GMG pretty much every day. I love the community here, but there was one aspect of the 2011 season that was a nad-kicking in every one of the home game discussions...attendance.

What I'm proposing is a series of topics here on what we can do to increase attendance. Forget about the would and the could and the should...we all pretty much dumped our opinions on one another enough last Fall. I know that you can't have this discussion without some opinions being involved, but what I'd like to do is try to keep it focused more on the reality that attendance isn't where we would like it to be and what realistic measures can be taken to address that issue.

I'd like to focus the discussion on three areas: steps that can be taken to increase student attendance, steps that can be taken to increase alumni attendance, and steps that can be taken to increase attendance from Denton and the nearby North Texas community (think Little Elm, Keller, Lewisville, etc.). I'd like to steer clear of the dead-end canards like "the Sun Belt sucks" and "we need to play more home/home series with Big 12 teams" and "UTSA is more baller than we are." There's nothing any of us other than RV and the university leadership can do about those things; figuring out some ideas that we could implement with whatever we have to work with is my goal.

I'll kick off the three post series tomorrow with some ideas for increasing student attendance.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Agree 100%. A little background...there was a walkway in the original plans as I am told. The original stadium plans that is...not the Pavilion. Budget constraints necessitated some revisions...the walkway was something cut. Everyone interested is trying to find a way to create a walkway that is accessible for everyone to the Pavilion. Everyone realizes it is a problem. Just try getting to the Pavilion from any lot other than the one nearest the Pavilion and you will know what I mean.

I don't have any info on what the status of the situation is, but I do know that it is being approached on several levels.

I understand that Jackson decided to put the walkway on the Dallas campus.

• Upvote 2

why do you think i made my comments...and i've been here a shit ton longer than you have...attempted humor and worthwhile conversation are totally different...sadly...you just have to deal with it or ignore it...

It's ok there little buddy. You'll get through this.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Lots of good ideas...During the Sunbet conference tournament trip to MTSU during soccer/football season I was impressed with the way MTSU university was marketing their spirit to the community. Every major street leading into the university, their square, campus and even the 30+ check outs at both Wal-Mart and Target had on-pole banners promoting the university. It would be the equivalent of University Blvd., Bonnie Brea (In front of the athletic facility), the campus and the square having banners promoting UNT. I came away with the feeling that Murfreesboro really supports the University and their athletics department. In the case of MTSU they were promoting 100 years of education.

In between matches I had the opportunity to speak with their football announcer who stated that Murfreesboro had a similar apathy towards the university and this was their way of beginning the process of engaging the local community. All I can say is community involvement is a process and MTSU started with a huge visual campaign that left an impact on me. Example:

Heart-Soul-OnPole.gif

Edited by UNTDude
  • Upvote 3

Lots of good ideas...During the Sunbet conference tournament trip to MTSU during soccer/football season I was impressed with the way MTSU university was marketing their spirit to the community. Every major street leading into the university, their square, campus and even the 30+ check outs at both Wal-Mart and Target had on-pole banners promoting the university. It would be the equivalent of University Blvd., Bonnie Brea (In front of the athletic facility), the campus and the square having banners promoting UNT. I came away with the feeling that Murfreesboro really supports the University and their athletics department. In the case of MTSU they were promoting 100 years of education.

In between matches I had the opportunity to speak with their football announcer who stated that Murfreesboro had a similar apathy towards the university and this was their way of beginning the process of engaging the local community. All I can say is community involvement is a process and the MTSU started with a huge visual campaign that left an impact on me. Example:

For a lot of the year these sorts of banners are around the square, and along Carroll Blvd. It would be nice to see Denton allow them throughout the city. For as much as the University does for the economy of Denton, it would be nice to see the city really go above and beyond to try and help us out.

• Upvote 1

Boosting attendance is our most important current priority. It is the cornerstone to any off-field success. Virtually every member of the AD staff should have this priority at the forefront of their jobs..."How Can We Get More People To Apogee?"

It's a three-part solution. The most important aspect is student attendance, closely followed by alumni participation, and then the general populace.

Student involvement will require support from both the administration and the SGA. The administration can strongly urge the faculty to announce to their classes the need for student participation (especially attendance). Their enthusiasm spills over to the alumni, Denton and Denton County, and the Metroplex. They are our best advertisers. They can boost future enrollment and the recruitment of athletes. When a prospect visits and sees the support they will want to be a part of it. Just as the student body was essential to the building of Apogee Stadium, they are also vital to stimulate attendance. They could work with the administration to provide incentives for students to attend all athletic events (especially football because of the money it generates). Hopefully, there is an 'UNT Flyer' in this Student Government Association. Lots of flyers and signs on campus around game day.

The alumni portion can best be done by the alumni themselves. Give incentives for those who bring in new MGC members. It could be seats, merchandise, parking, awards or recognition or some combination of the above. Discount tickets for new season ticket holders. Expand MGC Ambassadors. Free hot dog and drink w/general admission, etc.

The townspeople need to be personally contacted by some combination of visitation, door hangers, mall booths, letters, or local advertising. Maybe that could be done with volunteer students and alumni. Students should be admitted free with purchase of ticket by an adult. Make each game a special promotion catering to a specific group...church, civic club, chamber of commerce, etc.

This is the year to get anybody and everybody involved. If they like what they see (and I believe that they will) they'll be back.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

I have been giving this some thought, and I think attendance would benefit from some creative initiatives that would really put our program on the map. I'm thinking: special appearances by "guest coaches", i.e. Major Applewhite. I don't think I've ever heard of another program doing something like this before. It would be groundbreaking. Thoughts?

• Upvote 3