Sam Houston State (12/10/11)

CMJ

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

If that's not the most pompous post in the world I don't know what is.

From your own link, I quote.

Zone Defense

Zone defense is different from man-to-man defense in that, instead of guarding a particular player, each zone defender is responsible for guarding an area of the floor, or "zone", and any offensive player that comes into that area. Zone defenders move their position on the floor in relationship to where the ball moves. Their are advantages and disadvantages of zone defenses. For example, you can often stop dribble-penetration and protect the paint with a 2-3 zone, but you give up some pressure on the outside. See "Zone Defense" for details. Zone defenses can be categorized based on the defensive "set" that you use (2-3, 1-2-2, 3-2, 1-3-1, etc). Rebounding out of a zone defense is also important. See Zone Defense Rebounding

:blowup:

Edited by Mean Green Matt

What are you talking about?

A team with 3 point accuracy that's even remotely decent at passing the ball will always destroy a zone defense.

Either your "zone" consists of a defender assigned to every offensive player (i.e.: NOT A ZONE), or quick perimeter passing eventually creates an open look.

[/quote

The point of many zones is to lock down the three!!!!!

Try the 1-2-2... which is essentially a modified 3-2 zone only it closes out on the perimeter a bit more. The only way to really break it down is from the corners or more likely then not the baseline. You can break it down from the baseline and have the option to kick it out but if you have any sort of decent athlete on your team they are going to adjust and bounce back up top. Its lime throwing the ball across the court. It gives your D plenty of time to re-adjust. How does that not make sense because I guarantee to any coach it would. It just just not Johnny's philosophy. He has always been a man to man style coach. And there is no problem with that. But a simple zone would really close out on a lot of perimeter shooters and force them to attack the basket more. Man to man is far to easy to break down in a simple pick and pop or flex offense.

• Upvote 1

.... someone needs to do some learning....

go check out coachesclipboard google it, learn something my friend... its extremely useful

someone needs to do some learning.....I'll just leave that alone.

Tap the brakes a bit, Skiver. It depends on what type of zone defense you are running. A 2-3 zone for example encourages the opposing offense to shoot over the zone. This only increases the number of open looks from beyond the arc.

someone needs to do some learning.....I'll just leave that alone.

Tap the brakes a bit, Skiver. It depends on what type of zone defense you are running. A 2-3 zone for example encourages the opposing offense to shoot over the zone. This only increases the number of open looks from beyond the arc.

Thats what I have been trying to say from post one!!! There is more then just the simple 2-3 zone... 3-2, 1-2-2, 2-1-2, 1-3-1 etc and all serve a separate purpose depending on your game plan but all function "essentially" the same way... meaning everyone has a specific spot that needs to be covered...

the 1-2-2 allows for defenders to cover the wings and top of the post. You break it form the corners or going baseline which is the way I have seen it broken down a lot before. But even then that gets you into the paint for a post shot or the possibility to kick it back out. But your 1-2 at the top should adjust quickly and cover the perimeter again without a (good) shot being released.

• Upvote 1

I do also not understand why after so many years Johnny does not go to a zone defense!!!!! His teams have never defended the three well and this is the worst! Man to man will get you beat from the 3 point line all day long if the other team plays their cards right.

Because NBA teams can't defend the 3, right?

Seriously one of the wackiest basketball posts of all time.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Because NBA teams can't defend the 3, right?

Seriously one of the wackiest basketball posts of all time.

Somehow we are straying from the point here... UNT's 3 point shooting is atrocious! Implementing a 1-2-2 zone would not hurt anything and I believe it would help. That is my point and if you look up the goal of a 1-2-2 zone it meets our needs.

• Upvote 1

Thats what I have been trying to say from post one!!! There is more then just the simple 2-3 zone... 3-2, 1-2-2, 2-1-2, 1-3-1 etc and all serve a separate purpose depending on your game plan but all function "essentially" the same way... meaning everyone has a specific spot that needs to be covered...

the 1-2-2 allows for defenders to cover the wings and top of the post. You break it form the corners or going baseline which is the way I have seen it broken down a lot before. But even then that gets you into the paint for a post shot or the possibility to kick it back out. But your 1-2 at the top should adjust quickly and cover the perimeter again without a (good) shot being released.

The other zones you are talking about are rarely used. Show me a team that runs them on a regular basis and I will shut it. The reason is in those formations you are very susceptible to 1) committing more fouls 2) giving up easy baskets.

Most coaches would rather take their chance on a 35% 3-pt shot, then a 65% 2-pt shot anyday. Look at your website all you want. Doesn't function in real life. 2-1-2 & 1-3-1 are mainly used in half court press situations.

Somehow we are straying from the point here... UNT's 3 point shooting is atrocious! Implementing a 1-2-2 zone would not hurt anything and I believe it would help. That is my point and if you look up the goal of a 1-2-2 zone it meets our needs.

Wait I'm confused. Are we talking about a zone offense ?

It seems like man-to-man helps get transition buckets and force turnovers. This leads to easy transition buckets and fast break offense. We also have some of the quickest and best guards at forcing turnovers in man defense. Many times, I feel like we have the better athletes.

But I just made that up. It's not on a website I read.

The other zones you are talking about are rarely used. Show me a team that runs them on a regular basis and I will shut it. The reason is in those formations you are very susceptible to 1) committing more fouls 2) giving up easy baskets.

Most coaches would rather take their chance on a 35% 3-pt shot, then a 65% 2-pt shot anyday. Look at your website all you want. Doesn't function in real life. 2-1-2 & 1-3-1 are mainly used in half court press situations.

I am just speaking from my own personal opinion. I am allowed to have an opinion on what I believe would work. I know many people who would agree with me and I am sure there are some who would disagree with me (apparently). We will just see how the rest of the season pans out and hopefully either way we make adjustments.

I am not saying man D cannot shut down the three but it has gotten us burned. As has our lack of a 3 point game.

• Upvote 1

Former player asked about using a zone and the coach said: "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you. Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.'"

UTA used 4 different zones on Texas in two possessions – they used 12 different zones during the entire game and still lost. When you have two evenly talented teams executing a good game plan will help keep you in the game - we did not execute much tonight but were lucky enough to win.

We still have a lot to learn but it looks like we are slowly getting there – can’t wait until Dec. 18th

It seems like man-to-man helps get transition buckets and force turnovers. This leads to easy transition buckets and fast break offense. We also have some of the quickest and best guards at forcing turnovers in man defense. Many times, I feel like we have the better athletes.

But I just made that up. It's not on a website I read.

One... I used my opinions before i used a source... and two... you are correct! We do have have some long great athletes! Jordan Williams and Chris Jones are beasts on the break. Good grief I just bring up one solution and bam everyone goes crazy haha... I am not saying go away from man to man. It never hurts to try something different for a possession or two.

• Upvote 1

Imagine this 1-3-1 zone D

Put T Mitch up front, Patton/Niko & Holmen on the wings & Jordan in the middle( or u could change it up w/ alzee for Jordan to run the point) with Odoh in the paint

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

One... I used my opinions before i used a source... and two... you are correct! We do have have some long great athletes! Jordan Williams and Chris Jones are beasts on the break. Good grief I just bring up one solution and bam everyone goes crazy haha... I am not saying go away from man to man. It never hurts to try something different for a possession or two.

Like press?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Either way Im off to bed... hopefully waking up in the morning and not finding my profile barraged with negatives haha.

It was a win tonight... a sloppy win but a win nonetheless. Getting Tony is not going to turn is into a championship team overnight but with time and chemistry we will find ourselves right where we need to be come March... and that is DANCING!

And to all of these people stating Patton will never play again... I am 75 to 80 percent sure he was sitting on the UNT bench the entire game and rebounded for the team during shoot around. It has also been revealed to me by two separate sources that he plans on playing next year. Could be true or false but I would not complain seeing him play!

• Upvote 1

No basketball expert here! Just a guy who is reading the very source referenced in this thread. Under "Disadvantages of using zone". **NOTE: site does not say "Except 1-2-2"

2. If the opponent is having a good shooting night, your zone is beaten, and you must consider going to the man-to-man to get pressure on the ball out on the perimeter.

Also, having followed years and years of Don Haskins in the El Paso news, I can clearly remember him saying you beat the zone with a good 3, or good passing.

It is just his opinion, though. He never did get around to reading the GMG.com basketball forums.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1