College Football Countdown #112 North Texas

Harry

Jim’s Take: McCarney was a good hire after the Todd Dodge debacle and Dunbar is an absolute workhorse back, combining for 630 yards on the ground in his last three games alone. But the spread offense is only as good as your quarterback and needless to say, McCarney doesn’t have another Seneca Wallace on his roster. The Mean Green will probably start 0-5 with that schedule, but expect them to rally late and finish with three or four victories. This program’s now headed in the right direction but it will take time.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/countdown-112-north-texas/

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I just do not think UNT goes 0-5 to start the season.

Will the faithful be "restless" if they do? I would not be happy, but certainly not ready to start the "UNT is falling off the face of the earth" stuff either. The first part of the schedule is challenging, indeed, and every time I hear from Coach Mac he definitely makes that point. But really, no wins in the first five? heck, I think we have at least one win in the bag after the first two games have been played.

• Upvote 1

I just don't see why Indiana at home is so scary? A new coach....and the bottom of the Big 10 team don't really scare me. Tulsa also has a new coach (of course we do too) but I have to think that this levels the playing field a bit.

I just don't see why Indiana at home is so scary? A new coach....and the bottom of the Big 10 team don't really scare me. Tulsa also has a new coach (of course we do too) but I have to think that this levels the playing field a bit.

Tulsa is a scary team. I watched them play a bit last season and paid really close attention during the Hawaii Bowl. They picked apart Hawaii's offense the entire day, and they have a very, very strong offense. Just the same, their offense did well for a good part of the season. I think our guys can win, but Tulsa isn't a pushover.

Tulsa is a scary team. I watched them play a bit last season and paid really close attention during the Hawaii Bowl. They picked apart Hawaii's offense the entire day, and they have a very, very strong offense. Just the same, their offense did well for a good part of the season. I think our guys can win, but Tulsa isn't a pushover.

I agree with last year's Tulsa team being a offensive powerhouse but the new HC, Bill Blakenship, has never been a HC except for High School programs. I am just saying that hopefully we can expect some serious growing pains from his transition to being a Div I HC (or a Dodgistic Scenario). I have seen multiple articles stating that the team we had last year was "built to win" (as I saw in an article earlier today) but that coaching was what hindered our performance (along with a nasty nasty list of injuries). Let's just hope that the coaching adjustment proves to be a setback for Tulsa as well.

Anthony’s Take: Dan McCarney takes over for his good friend Canales, whom he decided to keep on his coaching staff. With Riley Dodge out, McCarney’s first order of business is to pick a quarterback who fits his spread offense. Rising juniors Derek Thompson and Chase Baine will be challenged by junior college transfer Brent Osborn. Running back Lamar Dunbar is a budding star, but it will take a while for McCarney to overhaul North Texas’ program. The school is opening a new stadium, which will provide additional pressure to the new coach. A schedule that includes Indiana and Alabama isn’t helpful either.

MAN....I LOVE WATCHING THAT LAMAR DUNBAR KID RUN!!! :P