Catching Up With Dan Mccarney

Harry

UNT began summer workouts today. Summer is run strictly by the strength and conditioning staff, but it gave me a good reason to catch up with Dan McCarney this afternoon.

He had a few news items and interesting tidbits to share.

There are probably more important ones on the list, but let's cut right to the one people will be interested in.

Read the entire story by clicking below:

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2011/06/catching-up-with-dan-mccarney.html

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

It's got to be a juco player probably a defensive tackle but perhaps a defensive end. He's got to have size and the ability to help right away as you are teaching the younger guys coming in. Let's keep our fingers crossed because getting a battle tested defensive tackle is huge for this program right now.

Disappointed to hear about the 3 players who have left, best of luck to them. I really thought Franklin was going to shine here when he was signed

Franklin had my favorite highlight vid coming out of high school. He looked like such an animal on the field. It really is sad to think that we might have been the wrong place/time for him.

Good story by Vito and it brings up a lot of topics.

I still wonder about only one ship being left, it appears that three just opened up. I guess with the walk ons that were given ships that NT could be at the 25 a year limit, I still don't think they have 85 total.

I hate to see anyone leave the program, but my guess is that the coaching staff was not against these moves.

Not sure how you compare NT football team sizes to published rosters of other Belt teams. Almost everyone list players as taller than they really are and I doubt the weights are any more accurate.

Even with the lose of two offensive linemen, NT still has adequate numbers with according to my count 13 on ships which is more than Dickey ever carried.

Really great to hear about McCarney's focus on academics. There are definite links between discipline on the field and in the classroom.

Sorry to see the three leave. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, but was glad to hear coach say all three may remain students at UNT. Also good to hear the final 'ship has been awarded. I hope it is a "big guy" like a tackle or DE. Would be a big help and an even bigger one if the guy can play immediately.

Love the focus on the classroom. After all...these guys are students first and foremost. Very few will play after college, and they need to understand that and take care of business in the classroom. Love that Coach mac sees this as a priority! Congrats on the spring grade report.

GO MEAN GREEN!

In response to the Linebacker Stat.

We have 8 listed Linebackers on the UNT Roster online and if their weights are true (on the site) they combine for 1,754 lbs of Linebacker material.

If you divide that number by 8 then you have an average of 219.25 lbs per player.

I may be missing something here.