Todd Dodge Making Way

Harry

"Was I ready? Shoot, I don’t know," Dodge said. "I don’t know if you’re ever ready. As far as where our players came from academically, how far they came character wise, it was night and day from the time I got there to the time I left. I’m very proud of that. I helped get a stadium built there. I left the North Texas program in a lot better shape in a lot of ways. The bottom line is we didn't win enough games.

"I understand that, but I have no regrets at all on that. It would be easy to say I was on a roll at Southlake Carroll, going 79-1, fixing to go for a fourth straight high school championship. Then you take a job and a lot of people say you fell on your face, but I don’t look at it like that. You make decisions in your life and you go on. Right now, I’m absolutely so happy to be here at Pitt, to be on this staff and to be in this city."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/20538/todd-dodge-making-way-outside-texas

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I have not seen many quotes about McCarney being anything but a great hire, that is far from proclaiming him a savior of anything. We should all be exciting about the hire when you compare his qualifications with any other football hc, NT has employed in the last three decades. Your comments about only an average football record are a bit odd, being NT has not hired a coach with any hc record since the regrettable Tyler. Actually, McCarney had what has been proved a very good record when you look at both the past and current history of Iowa State.

Oddly, however he has not got near the positive response that Dodge got. IMO any new coach is always a cause for optimism and the fan base should be excited. I think the majority lauded the Dodge hire but knew there was a big risk involved. McCarney is certainly not guaranteed to be anything, but his background and the staff he was able to assembly make the odds a lot shorter than they have been in a very long time at NT.

We should be excited about what LOOKS like a great coaching staff. Much more experienced than any staff I can remember. That said, looking great and being great are 2 different things. We should be excited and supportive, but let's save the cannonization of this staff for a point in time that is after some time of accomplishment. I'm sure the staff wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm happy with all the coaching hires on the staff, but not winning will change that. Quickly. As it should.

Dont tell me, show me

• Upvote 1

Some of you guys really are sad and pathetic little men. Get a life and move on.

Agree.

And I would like to add that it probably wasn't Todd Dodge who sought the NT job. I suspect he was approached and courted.

It was the people that sought him out and allowed him to bring all his HS coaching cronies with him that I mostly blame for the Dodge/NT debacle.

Things would have been much different if only one thing had happened after Dodge was hired....retaining the DC and all his staff.

• Upvote 2

. Better character than Dickey,

If we're going to judge the previous two regimes on class or character let's keep in mind the fact that 10 to 12 of Dickeys' players just returned in the blistering heat to participate and pay tribute to one of their fallen brothers. 8 years later, without any attention drawn to it through media hype ect. And many have been doing it for years and many have pledged to continue. To me this is as solid of a representation of character that anyone here could ever ask of their team And regardless if anyone wants to give him credit for it or not, they had this quality of character they showed last week at the GMG.comm bowl instilled in them from their coach.

Rick

• Upvote 2