Harry's Barbershop Report Week 2 (FIU)

Harry

Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to former UNT linebacker KD Davis…

Well, a bad start got worse on Saturday, as UNT provided good comeback fodder for recently downtrodden Florida International University (FIU) with a 46-39-point loss on the road.   Unlike the prior week’s loss to Cal, UNT was favored in the game, by a significant margin (-10.5).   Postgame stats looked eerily similar.  Two interceptions thrown by starting UNT QB Stone Earle led to backup UNT QB Chandler Rogers replacing him and Rogers was a bright spot for UNT with 2 TD passes and 0 int’s.  Again, UNT’s defense was the primary culprit in the loss giving up 4 rushing TD’s and 223 yards……The ghost of Seth Littrell was ever present after the humbling loss against FIU, as UNT demolished the Panthers in 2022 by a score of 52-14……Some have whispered the talent level on defense has dropped off and it certainly lost some talent, but a bigger issue may well be the scheme.  The results may be looking far worse than expected because the players defensive coordinator Matt Caponi is using were just not built for this system…

…Another lingering issue is how did this staff not see the Category 5 hurricane coming back in the spring?  Should they not have looked at the portal to replenish some of the defensive losses as well as beef up the front part of the 3-3-5?  With only 3 down linemen you must have a fireplug at the 3 technique that requires double teams.  Otherwise, you will have your linebackers getting pounded by 6-5 300-pound beasts all day long.  Talents like All conference Mazin Richards look lost and just don’t mesh well with the new scheme…

…The plan of primarily recruiting the high schools in Texas and DFW specifically has historically made a lot of sense for UNT given its location, however in the new era of the portal and NIL just does not makes as much sense.  If you recruit a high school player and they blow up, you are probably going to lose them to the portal via a healthier NIL destination without even being penalized by sitting out a year.  At least with transfers they have used that one time get out of jail free card and have some tougher decisions to make before bailing…

…UNT has a tough road game ahead with La. Tech who is currently favored by 2.5 but an even scary game is on the horizon with athletic directors’ former home school Abeline Christian.  ACU is looking pretty good at 2-0 thus far but has a tough game coming up this week with Eric Morris’s former UIW program who is #10 nationally in FCS.  Jared is somewhat of a favorite son among the ACU faithful, so I am sure he is hoping Morris and staff get this ship righted quickly.

And as always, Go Mean Green!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

19 hours ago, Harry said:

…Another lingering issue is how did this staff not see the Category 5 hurricane coming back in the spring?

Good stuff and nailed it, especially here.  Morris needs to address this.  What was the thinking?  He’s been quoted as saying the roster was already ready for the AAC, implying he didn’t see this coming.  That’s a panic inducing take after two weeks.  

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 4

New to the GMG forum and happy to be here. 

New coaching staff, new scheme, new players, new QB,  new conference…

A lot of change so it’s not surprising that we’re 0-2, but the defensive performance is alarming.  Playing Monday Morning QB here, but might have been better to run the previous defensive scheme to reduce the learning curve.  I’m curious what other teams in FBS run the 3-3-5 and are they successful.

Edited by BFraz
  • Upvote 4

My observation in college football is that incoming coaches run "their" scheme based upon what has worked best for them in the past and not what would work best with the players they inherit. As a result, while I am extremely surprised and disappointed in our defense history tells me that I shouldn't be.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BFraz said:

New to the GMG forum and happy to be here. 

New coaching staff, new scheme, new players, new QB,  new conference…

A lot of change so it’s not surprising that we’re 0-2, but the defensive performance is alarming.  Playing Monday Morning QB here, but might have been better to run the previous defensive scheme to reduce the learning curve.  I’m curious what other teams in FBS run the 3-5-3 and are they successful.

Welcome!

• Upvote 1