Fall Practice

HoustonEagle

What makes me want to quit donating? Is threads like this. Who gives a flying f-ck. This program needs money and more fans. Neither of which hinge on whether fans can attend practice. I read threads like this and think to myself maybe it is time to quit throwing good money after bad. We will always be small time.

Unfortunately for me I have some sort of addiction to the hope of better days for the Mean Green. So I keep sending out the checks.

On a side note. My wife and her entire family attended Ohio State. My father in law and I give about the same amount of money to our respective universities. He gets a bumper sticker and the right to buy 4 nose bleed seats on the 50 yard line. That's it!

What have I recieved? Well I get the right and do buy four club level seats that cost less than his nosebleed seats at the horseshoe. I have attended multiple events in Houston for donors and prospective donors. I have had dinner with the university president. I have had drinks with representatives from the athletic department in Houston. Not to mention the usual gifts from umbrellas to grill sets and so on. As I said before. I don't donate that much! Especially when compared with major universities. Yet here we are discussing the 5 fans that want to see a practice and at what giving level that should be. Instead let's discuss how being a Mean Green fan and donor is the best deal in college sports and according to the attendance and donor levels no one seems to give a crap. I could care less about open or closed practices. What I do care about is that at some point we either hit critical mass or people get tired of trying.

Ok that turned into a rant, sorry. Dear God please let this be a winning season

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I didn't realize pointing out a problem that need addressing, that a donation benefit was not being realized by several donors was twisting a fact? Your boss sure didn't think so when he was approached about it by a major donor in Hot Springs. But what ever you say. More, I know someone that knows someone that knows someones sister who said this happened. My Boss is a Doctor (Medical) who doesn't give a flip about sports except for his Thursday afternoon Tee Time! The only reason he knows about UNT is because of all the UNT posters and stuff he has to see when he visits my cubby(the guy is from Maryland, nuff said).

Hopefully we're working on something to promote the TSU and ULL games. Don't disagree.

As for approaching the department to help, that was done last week by another one of our donors and was quickly dismissed with a "We Got It". Again with the I know someone that knows someone...So why are you their designated spokesperson? No one I know talks about this happening.

I won't even begin to address what "Dropping A Line" has gotten people over the years, so I won't. Let it go, 5,6,7-10 Years in the past. It's a new era and things they are a changing!

Just curious, by my pointing out that the current link to the online benefits page still has Karen Aston and Johnny Jones on it, is that twisting a fact? Very minor point in you previous rant and not what you twisted since I didn't mention it, DUH. You're asking for speculation on my part so here it is. It was printed up before Johnny and Karen left (It's just a PDF version of the printed one). It costs money, significant money, to reprint and I doubt it was handled in house. I guess they could edit the PDF/Online version fairly easy but is it a priority and/or should it be...debatable. All current promotion/information includes updated coaching information.

Rick

• Upvote 4

Just curious, by my pointing out that the current link to the online benefits page still has Karen Aston and Johnny Jones on it, is that twisting a fact?

Rick

To newbie's point, the benefits PDF was created well before the coaches left. It was actually created before the basketball season was even close to being over. You'll notice the note on the flyer about earning extra points if you renewed by December 2011. They just haven't redone it.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

snapback.pngFirefightnRick, on 10 August 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

I didn't realize pointing out a problem that need addressing, that a donation benefit was not being realized by several donors was twisting a fact? Your boss sure didn't think so when he was approached about it by a major donor in Hot Springs. But what ever you say. More, I know someone that knows someone that knows someones sister who said this happened. My Boss is a Doctor (Medical) who doesn't give a flip about sports except for his Thursday afternoon Tee Time! The only reason he knows about UNT is because of all the UNT posters and stuff he has to see when he visits my cubby(the guy is from Maryland, nuff said). Oh, so you don't work in the AD's office? My bad. The way you've carried on making up excuses for them you had several of us convinced so.

Hopefully we're working on something to promote the TSU and ULL games. Don't disagree.

As for approaching the department to help, that was done last week by another one of our donors and was quickly dismissed with a "We Got It". Again with the I know someone that knows someone...So why are you their designated spokesperson? No one I know talks about this happening. No, I'm not a designated spokesperson. I'm a 25 year customer. And in 25 years I've met a person or two.

I won't even begin to address what "Dropping A Line" has gotten people over the years, so I won't. Let it go, 5,6,7-10 Years in the past. It's a new era and things they are a changing! I would like to let it go. You have no idea how much I would. And I hope it's a new era and things they are a changing. But history makes me a skeptic. A Mean Green skeptic, but a skeptic just the same.

Just curious, by my pointing out that the current link to the online benefits page still has Karen Aston and Johnny Jones on it, is that twisting a fact? Very minor point in you previous rant and not what you twisted since I didn't mention it, DUH. You're asking for speculation on my part so here it is. It was printed up before Johnny and Karen left (It's just a PDF version of the printed one). It costs money, significant money, to reprint and I doubt it was handled in house. I guess they could edit the PDF/Online version fairly easy but is it a priority and/or should it be...debatable. All current promotion/information includes updated coaching information. It is a minor point, but something a Newbie such as yourself can't grasp, that it's one of countless minor points that repeat themselves every year. Together they become bigger points overall that affects our efforst to grow this program and it's customer base. But since you have admitted that your not in the know(I wouldn't have asked had I known that before), I appreciate your effort at a speculative point. Be careful speculating over here. It tends to upset the enablers.

Rick

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

To newbie's point, the benefits PDF was created well before the coaches left. It was actually created before the basketball season was even close to being over. You'll notice the note on the flyer about earning extra points if you renewed by December 2011. They just haven't redone it.

The "Benefits List" that PDF came from were handed to MGC Club Reps over 20 months ago. I have a copy of it as do many others here as well. The coaches left 4 months ago. Since then, there has been the coaches caravans and printed posters produced, emails sent for ticket renewals, the 101 event, the BBQ Kick Off event and now an invite to a football closed practice, all to drive ticket sales and donations. I can't help but wonder why it takes 4 months to get the PDF corrected, but considering we are now 21 days till kick off, Im thinking now may be the time to get that done?

The AD Dept is reading this so I'm sure the correction will come any day.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Uh, any cool things happening at practice?

Just wondering.

It's 110 degrees the only thing cool is the Post Practice Ice Baths! :)

....and to Slick Rick, Never once have I made an apology for the Athletic Department in this thread. These types of false statements are why I put absolutly zero stock in anything you complain about. If you can attempt to completely change my postings, why wouldn't you do it when talking about the other folks gripes you've mentioned. So Sad.

I believe I've typed enough, I apologize to all those that wasted their time reading this thread.

GMG!

Edited by UNTnewbie
  • Upvote 1