Early Game What Ifs...

CaribbeanGreen

Great time tonight. Apogee is awesome, and any expected opening night kinks were limited at best. I can't wait for Indiana.

The first half was fantastic in a lot of ways, but I can't stop wondering what would have happened if we hadn't turned the thing over horribly THREE times in the first quarter.

- Thompson throws a bad interception as we're moving into the UH red zone. Houston blitzed, and he was clearly rattled and made a bad, rushed decision, hitting a Cougar DB in the numbers.

- Chancellor muffs a UH punt (fair catch, no less) after the D had stopped the Cougar offense yet again. We had all the momentum and a 7-0 lead, and suddenly we've given Houston the ball inside our 20. Amazingly, the D guys up again and holds them to 3.

- Dunbar just flat drops an option pitch as we're driving near midfield with no defenders close and daylight ahead. It's odd, he didn't even slow down as it clanged to the ground and UH had an easy recovery.

3 turnovers in 1 quarter, and we're still 17-20 at half. If things go the other way, and we get scores/don't give up field position, I wonder what might have happened. Not saying we win, but I'd like to have seen it.

Speaking of the 1st quarter, anyone have a clue on why we took a time out before running our first play?? Awful flashbacks, that one.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Great time tonight. Apogee is awesome, and any expected opening night kinks were limited at best. I can't wait for Indiana.

The first half was fantastic in a lot of ways, but I can't stop wondering what would have happened if we hadn't turned the thing over horribly THREE times in the first quarter.

- Thompson throws a bad interception as we're moving into the UH red zone. Houston blitzed, and he was clearly rattled and made a bad, rushed decision, hitting a Cougar DB in the numbers.

- Chancellor muffs a UH punt (fair catch, no less) after the D had stopped the Cougar offense yet again. We had all the momentum and a 7-0 lead, and suddenly we've given Houston the ball inside our 20. Amazingly, the D guys up again and holds them to 3.

- Dunbar just flat drops an option pitch as we're driving near midfield with no defenders close and daylight ahead. It's odd, he didn't even slow down as it clanged to the ground and UH had an easy recovery.

3 turnovers in 1 quarter, and we're still 17-20 at half. If things go the other way, and we get scores/don't give up field position, I wonder what might have happened. Not saying we win, but I'd like to have seen it.

Speaking of the 1st quarter, anyone have a clue on why we took a time out before running our first play?? Awful flashbacks, that one.

Still not used to starting that close to the opponent's endzone?

• Upvote 1

We had the wrong personel in there, which you think would have been sorted out at least for the first play. By the time the right guy got on field, play clock was to zero.

I think you can blame this partially on the atmosphere. Opening a new stadium, a great kickoff return, and everyone was just pumped up. And then the offense kind of looked like "Oh yeah, we need to run a play!". This is still a young team led by a young QB.

• Upvote 1