When will Mac grow a spine?

Andrew

When are we going to takes chances? We kick field goals down by 28 points. We punt on fourth down when we are down 18 points late in the fourth. We run the ball in third and longs just to "be safe". We play field position when we are losing. He always tries to lose by a little, other than trying to win the game. When is this going to change? Not only is it frustrating, it's awfully boring to watch as a fan!

He is a good coach, but I would like to see us take the chances Indiana did today.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

It's easy to determine if there's a spineless situation here. Coach Mac will be at Rudy's Monday night at 7:00 for the Coach Mac Radio Show. Please show up and ask your quoted question directly to him. There's an open mike every Monday.

That way nobody will believe that you suffer from the very affliction that you accuse Coach of having.

I'm not the only one who thinks we play it safe.... Why does he not go for it on fourth or take chances when teams that are up 21 on us take the same chances. Indiana won because they kept pushing it. They went for it on fourth multiple times. They did an onside kick. They didn't settle for punts or field goals. They also scored on us with 30 seconds left in the game. We would not do the same. We would just take a knee and be content. I would just like to see our team take some chances and not play it safe every game.

Obviously Mac is a good coach but It would be nice to see us take more chances and shake up the play call.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I'm not the only one who thinks we play it safe.... Why does he not go for it on fourth or take chances when teams that are up 21 on us take the same chances. Indiana won because they kept pushing it. They went for it on fourth multiple times. They did an onside kick. They didn't settle for punts or field goals. They also scored on us with 30 seconds left in the game. We would not do the same. We would just take a knee and be content. I would just like to see our team take some chances and not play it safe every game.

Obviously Mac is a good coach but It would be nice to see us take more chances and shake up the play call.

Indiana won because they were a far superior team. They won because they carved up our avg defense. Going for it there wouldn't have made a difference in the game.

• Upvote 2

We would not have beaten SMU today!!!! What did we do on the open date? For sure it was not used to prepare for this game!!! Don' t get hung up on IU being a good team. True they had a monumental upset of Missouri, but lost to Maryland who was absolutely destroyed by OSU today. They did have a win over Indiana State, an FCS, but lost to Bowling Green of the MAC. This may even be a worse effort than La Tech. We certainly gave no pretension that we wanted to win from the opening kick off. Disgusted and frustrated going into CUSA play.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

We would not have beaten SMU today!!!! What did we do on the open date? For sure it was not used to prepare for this game!!! Don' t get hung up on IU being a good team. True they had a monumental upset of Missouri, but lost to Maryland who was absolutely destroyed by OSU today. They did have a win over Indiana State, an FCS, but lost to Bowling Green of the MAC. This may even be a worse effort than La Tech. We certainly gave no pretension that we wanted to win from the opening kick off. Disgusted and frustrated going into CUSA play.

Dont talk like this. You'll be called coach Dallas Green and will be referenced in every loss. Indiana is a far superior team offensively in comparison to our defense. Onside kick took a lot out of the sakis and them going for what seemed like 4-5 4th downs was bush leauge. But it's all a part of the game.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Indiana won because they were a far superior team. They won because they carved up our avg defense. Going for it there wouldn't have made a difference in the game.

I know we were out played by better players. I just want to see us take a chance. It's same the same as last year when it was run,run,run punt. Down 21 late in the fourth quarter you go for it. You do not send the message to the team and fans that your giving up and phoning it in.

• Upvote 2

With all due respect Sir you are wrong.

We would've beaten SMU today.

It was not hard to see that Indiana was better than us coming into this game. You talk about their schedule and who they beat, but we haven't done anything close to them. Every avg team we've played has blown us out. I'm not hung on them being a good team, but they are an above average team. We are a below avg team.

• Upvote 1

If a touchdown would have given us a chance to win then I'd say go for it. If we were inside the 10 then I say go for it. But, at that point in the game the three points were relatively sure which is better than coming away with nothing and not even leaving them with horrible field position should we fail (and at that point that seemed pretty certain). The defense was having a bad day and couldn't have kept them bottled up. At least it got us to double digits at the time.

• Upvote 3

Compare the Indiana football budget and ours and see the writing on the wall...we were beaten by a member of the P5, who just simply have better personnel due to their being in the Big 10...it's sad that Dajon's first real test was against the Hoosiers...really liked the learning curve Dajon was absorbing as the game went on.

• Upvote 2

Easiest way to view this defeat is we lost the initiative. The game was over when they demoralized the team with the onside kick. Indiana went straight for our teams throat early. They were aggressive while taking calculated risks on 4th downs or onside kicks and it paid off. They had a very good game plan and were better prepared. Hats off to them. We don't have a bad team, we just got out played in every aspect of the game today. Some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you. We can still hit six and make a run at the conference.

• Upvote 6

funny what a few years does, we beat IN last time and this time they kicked the crap out of us and shows how poor recruiting has been the last 3-4 yrs on the Defensive Front 7

I thought about this.

I don't disagree we have some recruiting issues, and I think the coaches deserve a lot of blame for what happened today.

I can't help but think, however, that IU is in a much better position to rebound/improve their program because of their conference affiliation. Maybe even budget, too? I don't know how their salaries/football spending compares to our's.

• Upvote 2

Easiest way to view this defeat is we lost the initiative. The game was over when they demoralized the team with the onside kick. Indiana went straight for our teams throat early. They were aggressive while taking calculated risks on 4th downs or onside kicks and it paid off. They had a very good game plan and were better prepared. Hats off to them. We don't have a bad team, we just got out played in every aspect of the game today. Some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you. We can still hit six and make a run at the conference.

This.

As far as taking chances, as Barry Switzer once said, "Sometimes you have to have a plan for losing." Late in game, down 18 points, what's the point in taking chances that could turn it into a 35 point loss or worse and extending the game?

If Indiana didn't punch it in with 30 seconds left (which I thought was pretty bush league), the score would have been somewhat respectable...especially considering the first 5 minutes or so of the game.

Just when you thought you were going to regroup after an awful interception & give IU a good kick in the throat:

groin-punch.jpg

• Upvote 1