Interesting stats

Aldo

Article had some great tidbits I didn't know.

NT Has Chance For Best Non-Conference Record In FBS Since 1968 On Saturday

The Mean Green trend of forcing turnovers is continuing in 2014. NT has forced 11 turnovers this season, which is the 14th-most in the country. North Texas is a +4 this season and since Dan McCarney took over in 2011 the Mean Green is a +25 in turnover margin.

NT is cashing in on those mistakes this season, having scored 55 points off of turnovers. Points off of turnovers have accounted for 37 percent of the Mean Green offense. The 55 points NT has scored this season off of opponent turnovers ranks fifth in the nation.

North Texas ranks in the top-20 nationally in rushing defense (11th), total defense (17th), sacks (1st), 3rd down percentage defense (15th), tackles for loss (17th), and interceptions (19th). NT leads C-USA in total defense and sacks. The Mean Green ranks in the top-three in Conference USA in 16 different offensive, defensive and special teams categories.

North Texas is one of seven teams left in the nation that are perfect in red-zone scoring in 2014. The Mean Green is 13-for-13 in the red-zone this season, coming away with 11 touchdowns and two field goals.

• Upvote 3

The sack stat is a complete mirage.

how so? I don't think we have the best D-line in the country, but we get sacks. even compared to the other, better lines that have played against the same teams we have (e.g. baylor vs. smu and arkansas vs. nicholls) we have gotten as many if not more sacks than they did against the same shitty teams. It is a trend at this point because we did the same thing last year against better competition as well.

Edited by MeanGreen13
  • Upvote 1

The sack stat is a complete mirage.

10 of the 19 came against Nicholls. Without those, we are in the low 50s. Still a decent number, but not a #1 in the nation level number.

#1 is #1 in face value and I'll take it and run with it for a week or two, or three. We've got some quick dudes up front, and I think we can maintain top-level numbers that we have been carrying over from last year. I think we can keep it in the top 20 by season's end considering some of our upcoming competition.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You play the game...get the stats... who gives a flying organhead who they are against...give the effing team some credit every once in a while....shit

Because against Texas and against La. Tech, the only 2 competitive teams we have played, we have had trouble getting consistent pressure. I worry about consistent pressure Saturday.

There are still a WHOLE lot of unknowns about this team. Very weird considering we are 4 games into the season. We start getting answers at 1:30 Saturday.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You play the game...get the stats... who gives a flying organhead who they are against...give the effing team some credit every once in a while....shit

So I guess beating Nicholls 77-3 is just as good as beating Texas 77-3? Of course not. Everyone needs to stop getting their panties in a wad. It's not disrespectful to the team to point out they were facing a bad FCS team. They know it will be a much harder test against IU and if they can be successful against them then they deserve all the accolades we can heap on them.

We got 14 of those 19 sacks against Nicholls and SMU, two teams that won't win 2 games between them this year. Against UT and LaTech we gave the QBs all sorts of time, or did I imagine Sokol throwing those 5 TD's against us?

This team can prove a lot come this weekend.

• Upvote 2

10 of the 19 came against Nicholls. Without those, we are in the low 50s. Still a decent number, but not a #1 in the nation level number.

If you remove that game we would be tied for 24th with UCF (9 sacks in 3 games), not in the low 50s.

Most of the 23 teams ahead of us also played FCS teams and also padded their stats,

If you remove all FCS games from the equation, we would probably be a few places higher than 24th.

That aside, it's nice to be #1 in sacks.

GMG

Edited by casual fan
  • Upvote 1

ok. so lets say that 10 is too much. with 19 in 4 games... we average <5 a game. so lets replace the 10 from nicholls with 4 for fun. that puts us at 13 instead of 19. with 13, we are averaging 3 sacks a game... which would still have us on pace to get 39 at the end of a 13 game season... that happens to be the exact number from last year. WE ARE GOOD AT GETTING TO THE QB. also, i agree with the previous sentiment about not really meaning a whole lot comparatively. leading the nation at sacks doesnt make us innately better than everyone, it just means we are good at it. it's like saying marshall is better than FSU because they average more points a game... it's not true, but it does mean that marshall is good at scoring points.

ok. so lets say that 10 is too much. with 19 in 4 games... we average <5 a game. so lets replace the 10 from nicholls with 4 for fun. that puts us at 13 instead of 19. with 13, we are averaging 3 sacks a game... which would still have us on pace to get 39 at the end of a 13 game season... that happens to be the exact number from last year. WE ARE GOOD AT GETTING TO THE QB. also, i agree with the previous sentiment about not really meaning a whole lot comparatively. leading the nation at sacks doesnt make us innately better than everyone, it just means we are good at it. it's like saying marshall is better than FSU because they average more points a game... it's not true, but it does mean that marshall is good at scoring points.

We are good at getting to very bad teams' QBs.

We start finding out how we do against good competition on Saturday.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Does this season not exist to you so far?

Fool yourself if you want, but Nichols and SMU are crap teams.

The good news? We beat them like we should. The bad news? We have struggled mightely against both teams we played that weren't crap.

But we have added a new QB which gives us hope things have changed.

We find out Saturday. In case you didn't hear me...

WE FIND OUT SATURDAY.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We got to ash and sokol very early in the game.

We also got good pressure on ash that did not count as a sack. One he slipped out of, and one he out ran us. The pressure was there and they made adjustments and started moving him.

Sokol got pressure early and adjustments had to be made. We did not adjust well, but we got pressure in the first quarter. La tech runs 4 wr, and I havent seen Indiana do a lot of 4 wr in the 2 games I saw. Hopefully that will help.

The Indiana qb is not mobile and we can get to him and pressure him. Im just worried about the problems Coleman can bring. Even on 3rd down, if we still have to key on him it will be a problem.

3rd and short, our corners may have to be on an island.

• Upvote 2

Chillax y'all. Cerebus was not saying our defense wasn't good.

Thanks.

I've said repeatedly this defense is good enough to get us to a bowl game. 50% of this site is the Pollyanna Sunshine and Happiness Club and the other 50% of it is a Doomsday Cult.

VjQ7Ns4.gif

Edited by Cerebus

Thanks.

I've said repeatedly this defense is good enough to get us to a bowl game. 50% of this site is the Pollyanna Sunshine and Happiness Club and the other 50% of it is a Doomsday Cult.

VjQ7Ns4.gif

More like 50% Pollyanna Sunshine club who think anyone who raises any concerns at all is in a Doomsday cult.

Saturday.

SATURDAY!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1