North Texas Patient Tested for Ebola Virus

Says a guy that lives over 2000 miles away from where this is occurring. To you, I'm sure it doesn't. The people of Dallas probably have a much different view. And what ratchets that killing tension and anxiety to a higher level is when government officials screw up and downplay the screw ups to the people that live in the communities affected.

Saying "don't panic" and "now is not the time to panic" has its normal calming affect on the masses too.

I know that it made me feel better.

My point is this...every time we have one of these health scares/panics, Americans...some of the most day-in, day-out unhealthiest people in all of the world...finally start to pay attention to their personal well-being. Unfortunately, their concern grows for number 84,678,902 on the "what might kill you" list, while numbers 1 through 84,678,901, many of which through education, moderation and common sense are preventable, continue to go largely ignored. I have this scene playing over and over in my head of a family sitting to dinner over a smorgasbord of Taco Bell, KFC and Pizza Hut (because you can get all three at the same effing restaurant), each with a 72oz kick-ass-XL cup of Pepsi discussing the health risk of ebola. Maybe even dad gets so angry at the government's handling of this "epidemic" that he has to go outside on the porch and have a smoke.

Instead, we focus on fear of the unknown and seemingly out of our control...despite our astronomically small the likelihood of our contracting the illness. A recent study conducted at Out of My Ass University concluded that you're 3.4 gajillion times more likely to die of the stress caused by ebola media coverage than you are of the disease itself (if you ask for citation, I'll ask for citation that ebola is now an airborne virus).

As to the CDC's public statements...I don't get the criticism. the simple fact of the matter was that as soon as Duncan left the plane, Vegas set the over/under at 10.5 people who would contract the disease and 5.5 at the number of people who would die (so far, if you took the under on both you're looking good for finishing in the money) Is this what you'd prefer a government agency come out and said? And before you answer that...consider the fact that we, us gmg.com-ers, are among an elite, small percentage of the populace...college-educated, information-seeking...supposedly reasonable people. Us. eulesseagle, lovemg, checkfacts and tulsafanintexas...amongst so many others. now think of how the less-educated, less-reasonable populace would react.

no one is doubting the severity of ebola. it is an awful and horribly contagious disease. but to this point one person has died in the states...and two of his medical workers are confirmed to be carrying the illness. it merits mention and it merits action. it merits legitimate conversation about airport screenings and hell, I'm even open to legitimate conversation about travel bans/limitations.

it doesn't merit 18 hours of news coverage and 18 pages of discussion.

Much Nacho's Bell Grande in front of me, KFC Double Down in my left hand, and a slice of pepperoni stuff crust pizza in my right hand. And afterwords, a guaranteed, much needed, uncontrollable colon cleanse. I'm proud to be 'Murican!

Says a guy that lives over 2000 miles away from where this is occurring. To you, I'm sure it doesn't. The people of Dallas probably have a much different view. And what ratchets that killing tension and anxiety to a higher level is when government officials screw up and downplay the screw ups to the people that live in the communities affected.

1636 miles. door-to-door.

and: http://wtnh.com/2014/10/16/ebola-scare-at-yale-new-haven-hospital/

I'm a five minute walk from a leading medical university with many international projects, researchers, doctors and clinics in West Africa.

UNT90 isn't the type of guy who is going to 1) do any research, or 2) let anything like facts stand in the way of making a good soundbite.

You are just football butt hurt.

And you are right, stupid Internet arguments do not require verification of the exact milage to CBL's hippy compound.

Guilty.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

This season is killing every part of my football body, not just the butt.

This is as far as UNT90 apologies go. I graciously accept. :)

Na, I issued a full apology to you about putting you on the wrong side of the DT argument.

But that wouldn't fit your agenda, now would it. ;-)

By the way, when was the last time you admitted wrongness?

Guess I got lucky ... I was in Cleveland that Monday and just a few yards from the Frontier 1143 gate and at an American gate going to Dallas when she was there... My flight had been delayed and I walked up to that Frontier gate (A-7) and asked about transferring to that flight and they said no. Likely I was few yards from her.

I'm not making any assumptions about the potential to spread, but it appears this case was handled about as tightly as you would hope. Much better than the Dallas patient?

• Upvote 1