Apogee striving for ultimate fan experience

Harry

Fast forward to 2014, and the school is sporting one of the premier college football stadiums in the country with Apogee Stadium. But the construction of Apogee and the addition of many amenities, most recently including the sale of beer, is about more than just adapting to a changing collegiate landscape.

Villarreal is aiming to provide the ultimate fan experience for anyone who comes to a Mean Green football game, regardless of their affiliation with the university. The addition of beer sales is one of many steps the university is taking to successfully compete with other local sporting venues.

“We work in a market where you’ve got the Cowboys, you’ve got the Mavericks, you’ve got the Stars, you’ve got the Rough Riders,” Villarreal said. “So when you’re looking at how you’re going to spend your discretionary dollars, even going to a Rangers game, you can take your son and daughter, and you have a hot dog and beer while they have a Coke. Here, you can have that full entertainment experience.”

Read more: http://ntdaily.com/apogee-striving-for-ultimate-fan-experience/

Three home games in September, two of which under the zenith of the Texas sun, are indeed a rough way to go. I don't mind the early starts in terms of ability to make kickoff, but good lord, when it's still summer, it just ain't right. And yes, make sure the yellowjackets do everything within their physical ability to prevent anyone from getting any relief possible. I'm kinda surprised they didn't have guards overseeing the bathroom sinks to make sure that nobody stole free water to quench their heat exhaustion and health threatening dehydration.

Oh yeah, #MGBmustwearfulluniforms!

• Upvote 4

Three home games in September, two of which under the zenith of the Texas sun, are indeed a rough way to go. I don't mind the early starts in terms of ability to make kickoff, but good lord, when it's still summer, it just ain't right. And yes, make sure the yellowjackets do everything within their physical ability to prevent anyone from getting any relief possible. I'm kinda surprised they didn't have guards overseeing the bathroom sinks to make sure that nobody stole free water to quench their heat exhaustion and health threatening dehydration.

Oh yeah, #MGBmustwearfulluniforms!

One thing I think we all may be overlooking with the event staff...

Has this been an issue for all three games or just the Thursday night game against La. Tech? I know that the La. Tech game seemed much more regimented from the event staff, and one possible reason that I never saw posted was that this game occurred on 9/11. It's funny (in a good yet kinda sad way) that we (myself included) really never took that into account.

Now, if it continues to be that way, fire away.

Edited by UNT90

That's a good question. I don't remember if I tried walking my usual route along the lower bowl for SMU, and I know I didn't bother for Nicholls State because I just don't feel like picking that battle. You may have a valid point. Still, the impression, be it right or wrong, has stuck with me.

That's a good question. I don't remember if I tried walking my usual route along the lower bowl for SMU, and I know I didn't bother for Nicholls State because I just don't feel like picking that battle. You may have a valid point. Still, the impression, be it right or wrong, has stuck with me.

ya, I didn't walk it for Nichols, either.

Us and our high brow ways.

Maybe some of the common folk could let us know.

"aiming to provide the ultimate fan experience for anyone who comes to a Mean Green football game"

Let's see. During each of the first three games, the vast majority of those cherished fans were offered the choice of having a miserable day broiling in the scorching heat .... <snip>

2vcu6p4.png

How about a stadium-wide misting system if we must play day games in the Texas summer heat.? That would be an ultimate in fan experience. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

ya, I didn't walk it for Nichols, either.

Us and our high brow ways.

Maybe some of the common folk could let us know.

I know the line for the elevator was a little long for the NIchols game....had to wait an extra 1-2 minutes so I had to climb the stairs to the club level.

Don't worry, I've already written a letter...

• Upvote 1

One plan currently on the table is increasing the stadium’s Wi-Fi capabilities due to modern-day fans’ constant use of smart phones.

This is huge with the younger crowd. I sit in the gmg chatroom during most games just so I have people to complain to in person and on the interweb.

ETA: Being able to watch the SMU destruction and read the gnashing of teeth and rending of cloaks going on at Ponyfans AT THE EXACT SAME TIME is one of the highlights of my fanhood.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 1

Has this been an issue for all three games or just the Thursday night game against La. Tech? I know that the La. Tech game seemed much more regimented from the event staff, and one possible reason that I never saw posted was that this game occurred on 9/11. It's funny (in a good yet kinda sad way) that we (myself included) really never took that into account.

Now, if it continues to be that way, fire away.

During the LaTech game, you could not walk the lower bowl without getting checked. At the Nicholls game, they only checked your ticket as you tried to enter seating area (lower seats for sure, not sure about upper seats, but did not appear so.)

• Upvote 1

During the LaTech game, you could not walk the lower bowl without getting checked. At the Nicholls game, they only checked your ticket as you tried to enter seating area (lower seats for sure, not sure about upper seats, but did not appear so.)

Agreed, much more lax for SMU and NS. I think we will get a better sense if this was a 9/11 precaution or if it was a CUSA thing in a few more weeks. Hadn't thought about the possibility of 9/11 being the reason for the increase, but it makes a lot of sense.

It has nothing to do with 9/11, are you kidding? It has everything to do with it being a CUSA game.

If they won't let you walk along a path that is designed for walking along during C-USA games, you're gonna have plenty of folks that will stop coming. It really pissed me off at the La Tech game. I was glad to see it had changed for the Nicholls game. I'm sure the conference doesn't examine the layout of every stadium and decide where people can walk and where they can't.

• Upvote 1

I am all for security checking tickets. Nothing frustrates me more then people moving to lower seats they did not pay for. Essentially stealing.

I do not understand what their issue with not letting people walk around the concourse is though.... Why did they build it if not for walking....

Edited by Andrew
  • Downvote 1

I am all for security checking tickets. Nothing frustrates me more then people moving to lower seats they did not pay for. Essentially stealing.

I do not understand what their issue with not letting people walk around the concourse is though.... Why did they build it if not for walking....

I have to say I don't mind if people with cheaper tickets sit in more expensive seats. If no one has purchased that seat, I don't give a crap who sits there. If my guests can't buy a GA ticket and come sit in one of the many open seats around me, guess what? My guests stop coming. If the time comes when all those seats are purchased, then there won't be any open seats for squaters. Then, there is no need for checking tickets because there won't be anyplace for you to sit if you're not supposed to be there.

• Upvote 5

I have to say I don't mind if people with cheaper tickets sit in more expensive seats. If no one has purchased that seat, I don't give a crap who sits there. If my guests can't buy a GA ticket and come sit in one of the many open seats around me, guess what? My guests stop coming. If the time comes when all those seats are purchased, then there won't be any open seats for squaters. Then, there is no need for checking tickets because there won't be anyplace for you to sit if you're not supposed to be there.

I understand your point, but it just seems cheap and rude. I would love for all the fans to fill the lower bowel area. I would just prefer them to buy the tickets there. I can agree that the stadium looks less packed when everyone is all spread out.

• Downvote 2

I understand your point, but it just seems cheap and rude. I would love for all the fans to fill the lower bowel area. I would just prefer them to buy the tickets there. I can agree that the stadium looks less packed when everyone is all spread out.

My seats in 207 on the 45 cost the same as the section below me.

• Upvote 1

I understand where you are coming from, but when there are 5-10k empty seats any given game then who cares. When we are on here talking about sellouts, then sure, I get your point.
  • Upvote 6