UNT to purchase Sack N Save property

C Vo

The buses are a new thing (as is the Dollar General)--I didn't know they were available. I imagine that would be pretty handy.

The UNT buses are pretty nice during the fall, but they have limited hours during the summer. During a about a month or two out of the year, they don't actually run. The city buses are a little better on scheduling, though.

I remember that Sac N' Save fondly. I remember having a pretty bad bout of "sour gut" one morning during my first semester on campus (around February of 2013, I believe). As I was arriving on campus, it hit the hardest and that dilapidated store was the first place I saw and that deuce was about to drop somethin' real bad. (McDonald's was not an option, because I'm generally opposed to bombing a restroom in a place where people are eating)

I ran straight in and looked for the bathroom. The look and smell of the store alone nearly made what was trying to force its way out go right back up in and come out the other way. When I opened the door to the bathroom, I quickly made an about face and took off for the exit. Seriously, words cannot describe what I saw, smelled and heard. I clenched up really fast. Nothing was coming out after that!

Sac N' Save . . . more like "Sac N' Save Me From Ever Going in Again." I think that place saved my life.

I ended up staying in "lock down mode" until I got on campus and bombed a stall in the Academic Building. There was already someone else having the same problem in another stall. Therefore, I maintained my anonymity and nobody ever knew about it . . . until now.

It feels good to get that off my chest. Thanks, Sac N' Save.

Stay hard, Sac N' Save!

• Upvote 3

There are students in dorms, in fraternity/sorority houses, and just off campus who don't have cars. So where do they buy groceries now?

What the DRC and others have failed to mention is that there are a number of small convenience and grocery stores popping up all around campus; first floor shops of new apartment high rises, the Asian market that will now be a fixture of the Hickory/Welch intersection, the large pedestrian-oriented CVS, etc.

Edited by Christopher Walker

I remember that Sac N' Save fondly. I remember having a pretty bad bout of "sour gut" one morning during my first semester on campus (around February of 2013, I believe). As I was arriving on campus, it hit the hardest and that dilapidated store was the first place I saw and that deuce was about to drop somethin' real bad. (McDonald's was not an option, because I'm generally opposed to bombing a restroom in a place where people are eating)

I ran straight in and looked for the bathroom. The look and smell of the store alone nearly made what was trying to force its way out go right back up in and come out the other way. When I opened the door to the bathroom, I quickly made an about face and took off for the exit. Seriously, words cannot describe what I saw, smelled and heard. I clenched up really fast. Nothing was coming out after that!

Sac N' Save . . . more like "Sac N' Save Me From Ever Going in Again." I think that place saved my life.

I ended up staying in "lock down mode" until I got on campus and bombed a stall in the Academic Building. There was already someone else having the same problem in another stall. Therefore, I maintained my anonymity and nobody ever knew about it . . . until now.

It feels good to get that off my chest. Thanks, Sac N' Save.

Stay hard, Sac N' Save!

T.M.I.

seriously

• Upvote 2

We don't need Sack N Save in Denton. They prey on people with food stamps and overprice their food under the guise of being cheap.

This answers half the questions and sums up half the comments in this thread. Going shopping near campus is cheaper than getting a car and less time-consuming than the super slow bus routes if you don't have friends or family nearby (we have a lot of out of state and international students!). However, they charge about 40% more for the "cheap" stuff that some of us lived off of on the weekends, like chips, salsa, ramen, cereal, and soda. Do that for about 30 years and you'd think at some point you could renovate or at least clean the rubber marks off of the floors once in a while. I had a few friends that worked there and they would have been happy to look elsewhere for jobs, it was just convenient having something nearby with flexible hours. As long as there are the other options showing up nearby that a couple of posts in this thread mentioned, it's no real loss to get rid of Scrotum 'n' Save.

Now, Taco Cabana on the other hand...

We don't need Sack N Save in Denton. They prey on people with food stamps and overprice their food under the guise of being cheap.

I shop there all the time. Great priced produce and can find produce there that you can't find at the other places in town. I hope they open up in another place in town.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999
  • Downvote 1

Does it not bother anyone just a little that two people, a store owner and a landlord - people who pay taxes, offer a legitimate service the community needs and employ dozens of people, are being forced to sell their property and close up shop.

No. Sack 'n Save made a lot of money by virtue of being so close to the highway and the UNT campus. Now they're losing their location because they're so close to the highway and the UNT campus.

They were around when I arrived in 1987, so that's at least 27 years of having a nice business advantage. And from the looks of the place, they never put a dollar back into making their store look good. It was always a dingy place.

• Upvote 3

Losing that grocery store is really going to a lot of the low income family's in the immediate area.

Why do you want low income families and businesses that serveexploit them in an extremely visible area right next to your alma mater's campus?

Personally, I care more about UNT's success than about a dingy neighborhood staying as dingy as it was when I lived there from 1987-91.

Denton has a cost of living 3.9% less than the Texas average. Losing the Sack 'n Save area to progress isn't going to leave less affluent residents with a lack of options they can afford.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I could see the whole movement for saving the original Fry Street, even in its dilapidated form as those buildings were somewhat historic. This is an old, busted grocery store that should've been torn down 15 years ago. You'd think he was talking about bulldozing the courthouse.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1