UNT to purchase Sack N Save property

C Vo

A new Greek village?? That's like 12 large houses.. They also just completed the construction of the Greek life administration building...

The Greek admin building is part of the "village" - similar to the athletics complex, slowly adding on and adding on. The next athletics project is the baseball stadium.

By "Greek village" they'll be renovating/expanding the existing houses and concentrating Greek houses from other areas around campus to that one area.

I hear you but in this case not just no but hell no -- the place is the MAIN eyepoint when you enter our alma mater-- it's an absolute eyesore and has been for 20 years.

Heck I used to shop there for my raviolis etc when I was a student but for goodness sake they have not updated or changed the place in 30 years! I think they paint it every decade.

And yes a state institution responsible for educating so many that provides so much economic impact has the right to do this. They should pay a fair market price of course and I would bet they will. If they were located anywhere else but the MOST VISIBLE LANDMARK when you enter the campus I would be more willing to agree with you.

The owner has known this was coming down the pike or he was blind. They could have probably partnered with UNT to work out a solution but now it is way past too late.

I have the same opinion in regards to the hotel and convention center. Sure there are nice smaller hotels in Denton but we need one big one and a convention center has been way past overdue. It's called progress.

Don't get me wrong. I too find S&S unpleasing to the eye. Im just not too fond of bully tactics.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I don't feel bad. Txdot is the one who is taking half the land and devaluing the property. It won't be as functional anymore. We are trying to buy it up without using eminent domain. The value is only going to fall. I also don't feel bad for a business that has continued to decline and has not invested in improving the property conditions in 2 decades. Good riddance.

• Upvote 5

I don't feel bad. Txdot is the one who is taking half the land and devaluing the property. It won't be as functional anymore. We are trying to buy it up without using eminent domain. The value is only going to fall. I also don't feel bad for a business that has continued to decline and has not invested in improving the property conditions in 2 decades. Good riddance.

The idea, as I understand it, will be to have an area much like Fry/A and also have a grand entrance their. So, lots of UNT signage, green lights to greatness, and young oriented businesses.

• Upvote 2

It's pretty clear that the business doesn't really care to improve itself. It looks the same way now that it did when I first saw it 14 years ago. That property value drop is likely more about the highway expansion and the fact that the store is a POS than anything else. I know I wouldn't want to pay $1mil+ for that building.

Reading the comments on the DRC story is forehead-slap-inducing. Usually why I avoid comments. Can't believe the complaints. Most haven't taken the time to read the story, or they are flat ignorant. Guess I'm not really surprised. Also provides a small window into the thought process of some of these Denton residents - who will never support Unt or athletics.

Yep that's the same group that always against this and that in Denton especially the Hotel Convention Center. It's the Denial Neighborhood saga oh poor us attitude.

• Upvote 2

As a bunch of old dudes who reside in HOAs and become obsessed with curb appeal, I get the celebration. For a bunch of broke college kids looking for cheap shitty food and beverage, I lament its passing.

It's mainly the broke citizens in that area that shop there. Sure a few students do, but not very many. A lot of students are afraid to go in there, frankly.

• Upvote 1

I haven't been in there since college...is it that much cheaper?

Well, I never actually lived in Denton, so my only personal experiences in the play were for emergency tailgate refills. Honestly, I have no idea if it's really cheaper or not. It reminded me a lot of Food 4 Less back home, which was super ghetto bag your own stuff, but definitely cheaper.

There are students in dorms, in fraternity/sorority houses, and just off campus who don't have cars. So where do they buy groceries now?

I don't know to how many people that applies, but it's a legitimate question. I didn't have a car in college, but was fortunate enough to live across the street from an Albertson's. Had I lived somewhere like what the UNT campus will become, I'd be quite a bit SOL.

I don't know to how many people that applies, but it's a legitimate question. I didn't have a car in college, but was fortunate enough to live across the street from an Albertson's. Had I lived somewhere like what the UNT campus will become, I'd be quite a bit SOL.

I'd guess like four. Four people. Nobody in a dorm room has a place to store groceries. Most fraternity and sorority members have cars -- or people who can take them somewhere (and further, no one wants to put anything inside a fraternity house 'fridge). And I'd guess a very small number of people live off campus without any sort of transportation. So, four. Four people is my guess as to the number of students who will be greatly impacted by the closing of this grocery store.

• Upvote 6

Yep that's the same group that always against this and that in Denton especially the Hotel Convention Center. It's the Denial Neighborhood saga oh poor us attitude.

Agreed. There are far too many people in the UNT/Denton community that are only interested in taking, while never giving or supporting. It's all "how will this help ME", not how will this improve the university or the community. They also only provide disdain and complaints, never solutions or help. They also aren't informed enough to point their criticisms in the proper direction.

• Upvote 2

I really don't think many of them buy groceries. I didn't.

I did. And I knew others who did. And Sack N' Save was our only option, unless a friend with a car happened to be making a run.

I'm sure percentage-wise, we're talking about a small fraction of the student body. But even a small fraction out of 36k kids is nothing to sneeze at.

There are students in dorms, in fraternity/sorority houses, and just off campus who don't have cars. So where do they buy groceries now?

Not nearly as many as you think. And if they don't, the buses run to the local grocery stores. You'd be surprised how many don't buy groceries. Mom and dad will be here this weekend and take them to the store and it will be the Kroger, not that dumpy sack and save.

• Upvote 2

I did. And I knew others who did. And Sack N' Save was our only option, unless a friend with a car happened to be making a run.

I'm sure percentage-wise, we're talking about a small fraction of the student body. But even a small fraction out of 36k kids is nothing to sneeze at.

I think there's a Family Dollar or some other kind of dollar store between Panchos and Rockin Rodeo, right? Maybe it closed too.

Same here, but I was lucky enough to know people who had cars, so it wasn't a big deal to just go with them. But when no one was available, having a place nearby was really helpful. I've seen a number of international students go back and forth from that place, I always figured they deserved something a little better than that rathole to be part of what they remember about being in the US.

I know S&S will be closing but what about taking one of the many buses to a nearby grocery store?

Exactly. The Discovery Park bus takes people to Rayzor Ranch - Albertsons and Walmart

Colorado Express takes people to Loop 288

I think there's a Family Dollar or some other kind of dollar store between Panchos and Rockin Rodeo, right? Maybe it closed too.

A Dollar General. And as far as I know, it's going to hang around. They aren't losing more than half their parking spaces when 35E comes through.

• Upvote 1