UNT to purchase Sack N Save property

C Vo

I always thought that Sack n Save was an unfortunate business to have so close to the university's main entrance. "And on the right, you'll see... okay don't look at that... if you'll wait just a second it gets a lot better, you see, we have a Gateway Center over here...."

Taco C? Say it ain't SO! I remember when they built it. On the day it opened the mayor declared it Taco Cabana Day in Denton.

For people who really want to know what the University and System intend...

http://untsystem.edu/pdfs/Master%20Plans/2013/UNT_FinalReport_2013.pdf

They want to eventually go into public-private partnerships with the land and property owners within the whole S Ave C area and give it one grand face-lift.

Edited by Christopher Walker

Does it not bother anyone just a little that two people, a store owner and a landlord - people who pay taxes, offer a legitimate service the community needs and employ dozens of people, are being forced to sell their property and close up shop. Especially when the school is publicly saying: "Sell or we will invoke imminent domain and force a sale." so that they can get it now when values are much lower due to looming construction.

This could be an example as to why some people in Denton do not support little ol'UNT.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 9

Does it not bother anyone just a little that two people, a store owner and a landlord - people who pay taxes, offer a legitimate service the community needs and employ dozens of people, are being forced to sell their property and close up shop. Especially when the school is publicly saying: "Sell or we will invoke imminent domain and force a sale." so that they can get it now when values are much lower due to looming construction.

This could be an example as to why some people in Denton do not support little ol'UNT.

I understand your point, but the majority of those jobs are minimum wage jobs. There are tons of minimum wage jobs scattered all over Denton. In the grand scheme of things the place had to go.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Except Sack and Save was about to lose most of its parking to the state through eminent domain for the I 35 expansion, making the location not viable for a grocery store, right? Hence property value dropping by half in 2012? And UNT had nothing to do with that.

Seems like a win win for the school and the business. They should be thanking UNT for taking an unusable building off their hands.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

I don't get the building being used as office spaces. Let the dot figure that one out. Get our facelift in the works. Nothing aggravates me more than seeing the inevitable delayed, in any capacity. The campus could be a gem if they started now and the union and entrance completed simultaneously.

The problem is that we dont have the space to put the stuff that was in the union to begin with. We tried and it isnt working out.

Use the sack and save as a space for a year or two and then flatten it and go from there

• Upvote 1

It happens everywhere. Whether or not it is right or wrong is a matter of debate. But it's far from a UNT-only problem and I would hope people would recognize that a great UNT is good for all of Denton.

• Upvote 1

For people who really want to know what the University and System intend...

http://untsystem.edu/pdfs/Master%20Plans/2013/UNT_FinalReport_2013.pdf

They want to eventually go into public-private partnerships with the land and property owners within the whole S Ave C area and give it one grand face-lift.

Looking at the Master plan even the Beer Barn will be gone someday. Hey, I miss the Texas Pickup and Prairie Street Tavern, but that side of campus has improved. Now if the city would make the land lords clean up businesses on Prairie Street.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it does.

I'm as glad to see that eyesore gone as anyone, but I don't know why you're getting the negative votes on this. I did my part to counterbalance it.

Yes it does.

Losing that grocery store is really going to a lot of the low income family's in the immediate area.

But hey... F ALL THEM CUZ THAT BUILDING IS UGLY AND I DONT NEVER SHOP THERE!!!!!1!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Yes it does.

Losing that grocery store is really going to a lot of the low income family's in the immediate area.

But hey... F ALL THEM CUZ THAT BUILDING IS UGLY AND I DONT NEVER SHOP THERE!!!!!1!

char_882.jpg

The only poor people I want to hear about are the people who tend to my pores at the spa.

Also, that S&S location used to be a Gibson's back in the day. Bought many a piece of useless junk there.

And there was a Winn-Dixie / Buddys at the end of the shopping center across the street.

About the time the Sack n' Save went in, a dollar store called "Pick n' Save" also went in, somewhere about where Rockin Rodeo is, I think. I stocked my first real apartment with stuff from there, just after graduating.

I hear you but in this case not just no but hell no -- the place is the MAIN eyepoint when you enter our alma mater-- it's an absolute eyesore and has been for 20 years.

Heck I used to shop there for my raviolis etc when I was a student but for goodness sake they have not updated or changed the place in 30 years! I think they paint it every decade.

And yes a state institution responsible for educating so many that provides so much economic impact has the right to do this. They should pay a fair market price of course and I would bet they will. If they were located anywhere else but the MOST VISIBLE LANDMARK when you enter the campus I would be more willing to agree with you.

The owner has known this was coming down the pike or he was blind. They could have probably partnered with UNT to work out a solution but now it is way past too late.

I have the same opinion in regards to the hotel and convention center. Sure there are nice smaller hotels in Denton but we need one big one and a convention center has been way past overdue. It's called progress.

I hear you but in this case not just no but hell no -- the place is the MAIN eyepoint when you enter our alma mater-- it's an absolute eyesore and has been for 20 years.

Heck I used to shop there for my raviolis etc when I was a student but for goodness sake they have not updated or changed the place in 30 years! I think they paint it every decade.

And yes a state institution responsible for educating so many that provides so much economic impact has the right to do this. They should pay a fair market price of course and I would bet they will. If they were located anywhere else but the MOST VISIBLE LANDMARK when you enter the campus I would be more willing to agree with you.

The owner has known this was coming down the pike or he was blind. They could have probably partnered with UNT to work out a solution but now it is way past too late.

I have the same opinion in regards to the hotel and convention center. Sure there are nice smaller hotels in Denton but we need one big one and a convention center has been way past overdue. It's called progress.

Agreed. I think we are headed in the right direction with this...if we can pay for it.

• Upvote 2

I think I read that the university's still aiming to partner with shops in the area surrounding the campus because well, it's just something the campus needs as part of its culture. I'm hoping this means a grocery place near campus because for a lot of students who don't have cars, or for folks who live near campus, a good SnS replacement would be great. Tear the old store down, put up a newer one in its place (or nearby).

One of the things that people are forgetting when they argue that the shop is about to lose out to imminent domain or a standard buyout, is that store is RIGHT on I35 and it's something that people see as they drive into and through Denton. While I'm no fan of imminent domain, I think that the city of Denton deserves something better to represent itself than a rundown grocery chain right by its crown jewel campus. A lot of the great things about Denton can't be seen from I35, I don't see a reason to hide them behind an eyesore.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 3

And to answer the question of why property value dropped, my guess would be after the I35 expansion plans were announced and it was learned that some of the property would be taken in the expansion of the highway, the property value dropped.

Part of the answer is that no renovations or development have occurred in the best part of a decade. Indicates that perhaps the upkeep is failing so the value plummets.

Or, *conspiracy theory alert* UNT knew this was coming and is in cahoots with the Appraisal Board to have a lower value to pay for the property if it ends up going to Eminent Domain court.

Reading the comments on the DRC story is forehead-slap-inducing. Usually why I avoid comments. Can't believe the complaints. Most haven't taken the time to read the story, or they are flat ignorant. Guess I'm not really surprised. Also provides a small window into the thought process of some of these Denton residents - who will never support Unt or athletics.

• Upvote 1

That's awful close to the Mickey D's.

Also, that S&S location used to be a Gibson's back in the day. Bought many a piece of useless junk there.

From what I understand, McDonalds is already in the process of closing down and leaving. The I35E project is also why the Exxon closed down. The Ihop is definitely safe though - it's on UNT property and the I35E project won't affect any of UNT's property/land (until they get Sack'n'Save through one means or another).

After I listened to President Smatresk's State of the University address I think that UNT will start being far more aggressive with the use of eminent domain to expand the footprint of the campus so the days of being hemmed in geographically are short. Though I find it frustrating that one of the early priorities may end up being a new Greek village. -_-

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1