MGN: Billy & Greg's Double-Eagle Bracket Coverage: Ver. 3

Mean_Green09

It was another bad week for the QB and the coaching staff has decided to give UNT fans what they all wanted. Moving the much hyped RS FR Dajon Williams to QB. What does the move to Dajon do for the offense?

BillySee58:

The sample size is very small, but it looks like he's going to do a lot. His running ability gets the most attention from us fans, and the zone-read did help create bigger running lanes than running power and counter from under center against 8-9 man fronts. Even if it wasn't against the first team defense.

In the passing game Dajon looked much better than Greer has in the pocket. He does a great job of keeping his eyes down field while still being able to feel out the pass rush. We also saw multiple times where we'd have a receiver open down field but Greer would either miss or throw a duck where the receiver would have to come back and dive to get. Dajon did a much better job hitting the receivers in stride.

Read More: Billy & Greg's Double-Eagle Bracket Coverage

I want to thank BillySee58 for his great insight. If you guys have topics or questions that you would like us to cover please let me know and we will work those into these pieces every week. You can send us your questions through the messenger function on GMG.com or by these applications

Twitter: @MGN_BREAKDOWN

Twitter: Use #MGNCover2

Email: g.goedecker@gmail.com

• Upvote 4

I’d let him know that starting Dajon is necessary and is not leaving a bad message. He was punished effectively and had to work his way up and have the players in front of him not perform in order to be given an opportunity. It also lets players know that you have to perform on gameday, not just in practice, the film room, weight room, etc.

Plus a trillion.

Players want everyone to be held to the same standard. They also understand people moving up the depth chart if people under perform, even if the people moving up made their own mistakes. What they don't understand is not trying everything to win.

• Upvote 1

Situational pass/run play calling is what he is referring to. Also play calling in general during those situations. 3-4 read pass plays are never going to work when a D is calling run blitzes while stacking the box. It's easy to point fingers at Greer and we pointed the finger rightfully so, but make no mistake the situational play calling while Greer was our starter was pretty bad in it's own right.

Just as an FYI Billy, we passed more than we ran the ball in the LaTech first half. I haven't looked at the 2H.

You might have known that, but I felt compelled to point that out to any readers who think we (as a run-oriented offense) were stubborn against the crowded box on Saturday.

Attempted to pass is more like it.

And La. Tech never stopped putting 9 in the box.

Edited by UNT90

Situational pass/run play calling is what he is referring to. Also play calling in general during those situations. 3-4 read pass plays are never going to work when a D is calling run blitzes while stacking the box. It's easy to point fingers at Greer and we pointed the finger rightfully so, but make no mistake the situational play calling while Greer was our starter was pretty bad in it's own right.

You know the simplest offenses in college football are almost always the best. There are the rare occurrences that you have a Andrew Luck or Colt McCoy that can make multiple reads while under pressure and deliver accurately. For the most part though simple is good. I want my QB making quick decisions. If he has proved to me that he cant, them I'm going to limit the number of steps he has to make to make the decision.

I want to know what is going on with the offensive line? Other than SMU they've been disappointing.

I thought about putting that as my concern. I'm going to give them this game and Indiana with Dajon. I'm going to chalk it up to not being able to block 9 guys with 5 or 6. I also think that some of those sacks are on the QB. When you hit the back of your drop as a QB you better have a good idea of where your going with the ball. Dont sit back there for 4 secs picking dingleberries out your butt while your trying to decide where to throw the ball. I mean hell you've been looking at the same guy that whole 4 secs anyways. Throw it or throw it out of bounds.

Anyways I think we should see some improvement from this group once we get to Indiana.

• Upvote 2

I thought about putting that as my concern. I'm going to give them this game and Indiana with Dajon. I'm going to chalk it up to not being able to block 9 guys with 5 or 6. I also think that some of those sacks are on the QB. When you hit the back of your drop as a QB you better have a good idea of where your going with the ball. Dont sit back there for 4 secs picking dingleberries out your butt while your trying to decide where to throw the ball. I mean hell you've been looking at the same guy that whole 4 secs anyways. Throw it or throw it out of bounds.

Anyways I think we should see some improvement from this group once we get to Indiana.

I too hope more of it has to do with the QB play but if you look at our sack total through 3 games versus our entire season last year it is disturbing.

If I am Chico, I tell Dajon, look here and here and then run. Slide feet first whenever you are able. Do not put your shoulder down. Keep it simple. You have a chance to be the QB here for 4 years if you play your cards right.

Moving Lemon to tackle probably didn't help cohesion of the OL.

I think Ybarbo has a fairly significant ankle issue that happened early in the SMU game and is just taping it up and gutting it out.

Kirby's had some shaky snaps in every game and appears to have called a few wrong audibles at times.

This would be where my mind goes as to what some of the issue(s) may be.

Then of course having an unsure QB making some mistakes and not making many plays creates some negative energy that probably effects some things as well.

• Upvote 2

I too hope more of it has to do with the QB play but if you look at our sack total through 3 games versus our entire season last year it is disturbing.

If I am Chico, I tell Dajon, look here and here and then run. Slide feet first whenever you are able. Do not put your shoulder down. Keep it simple. You have a chance to be the QB here for 4 years if you play your cards right.

I think one under-appreciated aspect of Thompson's game was his ability to take a step or two away from the pass rush and then quickly release the ball. He helped the offensive line minimize their sacks allowed totals and maybe inflated our expectations of them going into this season.

Don't get me wrong; our OL is one of the strengths of the team. But, they are far less effective when we are in obvious run/pass downs.

• Upvote 5

I didn't mean it to sound otherwise.

If anything, it reinforces the notion that opponents didn't give two cents about Greer's arm.

And make no mistake, this will be every defenses game plan for us going forward. DW doesn't scare anyone right now. He is gonna have to earn that fear. Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And make no mistake, this will be every defenses game plan for us going forward. DW doesn't scare anyone right now. He is gonna have to earn that fear.

This times 100. They will give us the read option and instruct the defense to punish Dajon. I just hope and pray the offensive line improves their play and gives him some time.

Want to install a simplified offense. Go watch any Auburn game since Gus has been there.

DW must not be shown a full field of options. That is asking any young QB to throw picks or be indecisive. It needs to be one read throws, safety valve, or run. Those should be his only options on pass plays. Of course run the read option and only pull if the d-ends start getting super crash happy. I would love it if the O started off 4 wide one back set in the gun and run tunnel/bubble/jail break screens and zone-read options every play the opening drive to set a tone. That would be amazing. An offense like this wins football games in modern CFB and also puts butts in the seats. Win the next 3 games with this style of offense and the next home game attendance will be interesting. Mid-October, 6pm kickoff, cool weather, brand name opponent (kind of) in So Miss...just sayin'. This season still has a lot of life in it.

Edited by Ben Gooding

Sorry Harry et al, I don't really agree that the O-Line is struggling. If you go back and watch the LA Tech game, they were giving the QB plenty of time and picking up blitzes well (including the RB), but Greer didn't know what to do with the ball.

Grrendylan said it best, DT would have either thrown the ball or gotten rid of it. Greer doesn't have that skill yet. Yes, they can be better, but they haven't been the issue.

• Upvote 1

Could not agree more as subpar pass blocking and practically no run blocking. So far highly overrated.

When everyone knows you can't pass, defending the run becomes quite easy. The sacks given up to La. Tech were "coverage" sacks. Or as we should call them, "happy feet" sacks.

When everyone knows you can't pass, defending the run becomes quite easy. The sacks given up to La. Tech were "coverage" sacks. Or as we should call them, "happy feet" sacks.

Yeah, I'm not as concerned about the o-line. I'm thinking everyone will be saying how improved the o-line is. They've had plays blocked up well and created lanes only for our RBs only to be met by completely downhill linebackers and safeties. We have seen coverage sacks, sacks because of the blitz, and some sacks/tackles at the LOS because of stepping up and scrambling into blocked d-linemen.

These guys are not very tall across the board but they're very big. They're not built like prototypical pass blockers, but they've improved there as the season has progressed. They aren't perfect and still are not playing great, but I expect them to be a strength like we all think of them with normal fronts to block against. Once we start seeing those. Hopefully those key guys get back to full strength.

Edited by BillySee58

What does one do on a bye week? What are your favorite kinds of cookies? Where do we go when we die? Do you know the muffin man? Who do ya love? Where do we go now? Where do we go? Where do we go now? (sweet child) Where do we gooooo?

Looking for topics/questions that you want us guys to discuss. Either send me a msg on here, post it on this thread, email me, or tweet it using #MGNCover2.

Thanks!