Harry

Wasn't JM's fault coach swag didn't recruit defensive players that could stay off the crime report and produce on the field.

People just like to argue that exciting football, spread offenses, and dual threat qbs don't actually win. Like when TFLF likes to go on his rants about how the spread doesn't work and how boring football wins games.

"Oregon's style hasn't won them a national title yet." Well, how relevant we're they before Mike Belotti got there and started spreading people out? They didn't win a single conference championship from 57-94 (37 years) when everyone was on equal grounds before spread offenses. And Texas Tech, I'm not a huge fan of the air raid, but saying "that freak show would get knocked down when they played real teams like OU and Texas." 1. Texas and OU ran spread offenses 2. Texas Tech won more with Leach than they did before or have since.

Tech and Oregon have run variations of the close the gap between the USCs, Texas', and OUs since they can't outrecruit those schools. They can't run through those 240 lb linebackers of those schools, so create an offense to match that big linebacker with a quick slot in the passing game.

We too can benefit from this look, and use it to help close the gaps between us and the top CUSA schools, and even P5 schools. I've talked about this before, but all the non-AQ conference schools who made BCS bowls during the BCS era had high-powered passing attacks and did run some form of the spread offense. Doesn't mean we can't still play tough-nosed defense and great special teams.

• Upvote 5

I think the 6'3" minimum was specifically quoted from Mac. I don't think Canales gives 2 $hits about how tall a QB is. He had some short and very capable QB's at UAB.

Whichever one of them wants tall pocket passer qb, I'm just hoping Dajon has great success and convinces the coaches to go with more of a dual-threat look and put less emphasis on height and more on playmaking ability. Someone posted Greer's high school rivals page. If you're a 6'5" qb and you're getting good exposure in high school, you don't need to be a great qb to get G5 offers.
  • Upvote 2

I played against Teegarden in high school. Couldn't throw worth a crap and benefitted from handing it off to a fantastic runningback in Bradley Marquez. They just ran it all the time. Hell of an athlete but not a D1 quarterback by any means

Teegarden is probably not a great example of one with high end passing ability, but he did have roughly 2,000 yds passing/20 yds and 750 yds rushing/8 tds both his junior and senior years in . My point is that there are tons of these types of guys out there in TX. Shanbour is another example. He had 2,600 yds and 37 td passing/5 td rushing td as a senior. Those guys don't even get a sniff.

As has been mentioned on here, I don't think the supply is the issue. Identifying the right guy and developing an attack to take advantage of the skillset has been.

I'm sure this article is mentioned on the board, but it's interesting to hear that DW's "mate" had a kid recently and he seemed to have not stepped up, at all. I think he is being brought into this situation with caution and only because greer couldn't get it done. http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20140915-pass-the-dajon-unt-names-williams-starting-qb-with-hopes-of-rejuvenated-offense.ece

What next?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

As has been mentioned on here, I don't think the supply is the issue. Identifying the right guy and developing an attack to take advantage of the skillset has been.

I agree. Plenty of talent, and different types of QBs in Texas. Our problem is identity on offense.

Mac wants to run. We know that. He's stated several times, he doesnt want a statue at QB. His past sucess at Iowa state came from 2 mobile Qbs that played in the NFL, with Seneca Wallace and Sage Rosenfels. Also won a ship with Tebo as an assistant. Some also feel mini mac is on the roster due to Mac. His strength is running...All of this leans to Mac wanting an offense with a mobile QB that can run.

Why do we have QBs like DT and Greer then? We already know its going to be conservative, and predictable. The dream of a passing offense with a pocket passer does not fit. DT had a big arm, but the offensive philosophy and personell did not take advantage of his strength. It was not a good fit.

Can we please install an offense that fits what we want to do and the personell we have? Chumley should come in as a qb also. He can run. Lets stop kidding ourselves. We are going to run. Now lets get good at it.

Teegarden is probably not a great example of one with high end passing ability, but he did have roughly 2,000 yds passing/20 yds and 750 yds rushing/8 tds both his junior and senior years in . My point is that there are tons of these types of guys out there in TX. Shanbour is another example. He had 2,600 yds and 37 td passing/5 td rushing td as a senior. Those guys don't even get a sniff.

Well, if Shanbour (like Teegarden) doesn't even get a "sniff", then it's not because he can't throw worth a crap. In the beginning of spring practice he had the quickest release of all the QB's and his arm strength was pretty much the same as DW and Means. Why he wasn't getting reps in scrimmages was beyond me. I don't know if he sustained some sort of post HS injury that has kept him from being mobile and therefore at the bottom of the roster.... or maybe it's something else.

I agree. Plenty of talent, and different types of QBs in Texas. Our problem is identity on offense.

Mac wants to run. We know that. He's stated several times, he doesnt want a statue at QB. His past sucess at Iowa state came from 2 mobile Qbs that played in the NFL, with Seneca Wallace and Sage Rosenfels. Also won a ship with Tebo as an assistant. Some also feel mini mac is on the roster due to Mac. His strength is running...All of this leans to Mac wanting an offense with a mobile QB that can run.

Why do we have QBs like DT and Greer then? We already know its going to be conservative, and predictable. The dream of a passing offense with a pocket passer does not fit. DT had a big arm, but the offensive philosophy and personell did not take advantage of his strength. It was not a good fit.

Can we please install an offense that fits what we want to do and the personell we have? Chumley should come in as a qb also. He can run. Lets stop kidding ourselves. We are going to run. Now lets get good at it.

DT did not have a "big arm". You can tell a noticeable difference between DW and DT's arm strength. For that matter there was a noticeable difference is Greer's arm strength during the spring game and DT's. With Greer's screwed mechanics and foot placement now, him and DT are about on par.

If DT had DW's arm, he would have been perfect for Mac's O. Let them stack the box and either play action or throw deep on single coverage. Its not the mobility element or the running element that Mac desires, it is enough of one of those to be able capitalize on the fact that his run first mantra will see many 9 men in the box sets from the opposing D. A running QB will force them to and/or spy the QB and spread the defensive front beyond the tackle box. A QB with an accurate arm can exploit the mid range and short passes on a quick pass set to force a D out of loading the box. A big arm QB can stretch them down the field and force the safeties and/or LB to play an additional step back.

Any of those in combination with a run first O will work great. The problem is that DT was somewhat accurate and had enough running game to keep teams honest. Greer right now, either through mechanics or nerves or what ever, has no real accuracy or arm strength. Hopefully DW can rely on his legs to force the D back on their heels and then eventually use his arm strength.

DT's just didnt have the arm, which is a shame because it would have made Chancellor that much scarier..

Well, if Shanbour (like Teegarden) doesn't even get a "sniff", then it's not because he can't throw worth a crap. In the beginning of spring practice he had the quickest release of all the QB's and his arm strength was pretty much the same as DW and Means. Why he wasn't getting reps in scrimmages was beyond me. I don't know if he sustained some sort of post HS injury that has kept him from being mobile and therefore at the bottom of the roster.... or maybe it's something else.

I believe Shanbour was a walk on at OSU in 2013. Is he even eligible this season? I did see him on the sideline, but not on the roster. Intriguing prospect. Supposedly pretty high end talent.

DT did not have a "big arm". You can tell a noticeable difference between DW and DT's arm strength. For that matter there was a noticeable difference is Greer's arm strength during the spring game and DT's. With Greer's screwed mechanics and foot placement now, him and DT are about on par.

If DT had DW's arm, he would have been perfect for Mac's O. Let them stack the box and either play action or throw deep on single coverage. Its not the mobility element or the running element that Mac desires, it is enough of one of those to be able capitalize on the fact that his run first mantra will see many 9 men in the box sets from the opposing D. A running QB will force them to and/or spy the QB and spread the defensive front beyond the tackle box. A QB with an accurate arm can exploit the mid range and short passes on a quick pass set to force a D out of loading the box. A big arm QB can stretch them down the field and force the safeties and/or LB to play an additional step back.

Any of those in combination with a run first O will work great. The problem is that DT was somewhat accurate and had enough running game to keep teams honest. Greer right now, either through mechanics or nerves or what ever, has no real accuracy or arm strength. Hopefully DW can rely on his legs to force the D back on their heels and then eventually use his arm strength.

DT's just didnt have the arm, which is a shame because it would have made Chancellor that much scarier..

Poor choice of words I guess. I meant he could throw a good deep ball, but we rarely went deep and did not have the personel to even go deep much. As far as velocity, you are right. He didnt have much.

I'm sure this article is mentioned on the board, but it's interesting to hear that DW's "mate" had a kid recently and he seemed to have not stepped up, at all. I think he is being brought into this situation with caution and only because greer couldn't get it done. http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20140915-pass-the-dajon-unt-names-williams-starting-qb-with-hopes-of-rejuvenated-offense.ece

What next?

What is wrong with you? Do you mean his girlfriend? Why do you believe he hasn't stepped up to or for that?

These are the points at which I got to remember that this is just a forum board, and that its poster can't really be this douchey in real life, right?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

What next?

so, what in the article supports what you've written?

• Upvote 1

People really should understand that this is a desperation change and has a very good chance of going horribly wrong.

Knowing what we know now about the DW situation, he wouldn't be on the field under any other circumstance other than pure desperation.

What happens if DW fails or gets hurt in the first game or 2. What then? Burn Means shirt? There really is no answer.

And that should be unacceptable to Mac. Whoever is in charge of QB development and recruitment should have some VERY hard questions asked during post season evaluations.

• Upvote 1

People really should understand that this is a desperation change and has a very good chance of going horribly wrong.

Knowing what we know now about the DW situation, he wouldn't be on the field under any other circumstance other than pure desperation.

What happens if DW fails or gets hurt in the first game or 2. What then? Burn Means shirt? There really is no answer.

And that should be unacceptable to Mac. Whoever is in charge of QB development and recruitment should have some VERY hard questions asked during post season evaluations.

Evaluation outside of actual game play is an inexact science.

If you look at Greer's HS/JUCO film (and obviously, what he's doing in practice), technically, he's the man!

Get him in a D1 football game, and uh... PANIC!!!!!!

Then, look at DW's HS film (and obviously, what he's NOT doing in practice), and he's got all kinds of technical problems, relying on athleticism to get by.

Get him in a game, and, well, we're not sure because we've only seen him against other teams' 2's... but DANG, he looks good!

Evaluation outside of actual game play is an inexact science.

If you look at Greer's HS/JUCO film (and obviously, what he's doing in practice), technically, he's the man!

Get him in a D1 football game, and uh... PANIC!!!!!!

Then, look at DW's HS film (and obviously, what he's NOT doing in practice), and he's got all kinds of technical problems, relying on athleticism to get by.

Get him in a game, and, well, we're not sure because we've only seen him against other teams' 2's... but DANG, he looks good!

Technically Greer is far from "the man." His footwork is terrible, leading to the quacking deep balls for which receivers had to retreat on to attempt to make a play.

They are quite effective.

When used sparingly for effect...

I have a huge problem believing that Greer has repitition after repitition in practice with perfect footwork only to fall apart in the game.

And there was game footage from JUCO that the coaches looked at. If that game footage shows perfect footwork in game situations, then we have a whole other problem on our hands of the QB coach not teaching proper technique.

When used sparingly for effect...

I have a huge problem believing that Greer has repitition after repitition in practice with perfect footwork only to fall apart in the game.

And there was game footage from JUCO that the coaches looked at. If that game footage shows perfect footwork in game situations, then we have a whole other problem on our hands of the QB coach not teaching proper technique.

JUCO =/= D1 football.

Again, he could look great in practice & against inferior competition, but when it comes time to face a legit D1 defense, he bails on those things he did/does well in practice. Of course, if you listen to SilverEagle, he didn't really look good in practice either... so who knows?

• Upvote 1