Dajon In Canales Offense

aztecskin

I mean some of the yardage Derek got was because the defense did not really respect his running ability. The whole point of having multiple options/threats on a play is to keep the defense honest and let you do what you think you can do against their base defense.

In our case, that will be running against a team's front seven. Apparently we think that we can run all day against any team's standard lineup.

Riley zone read on steroids?

I expect them to be cautious about him running the ball... in fact -- I expect them to give him some of the stuff they gave Greer but hope that he can do more with it.

The issue with Dajon is not his talent -- he is immensely talented. It's more along the lines of his durability.

He has never taken a big hit and he has had some injury issues -- the most recent being last spring which led to him missing some key reps and the spring game itself...

Personally, I think injuries are a part of the game and you can't play around them. I do wish Dajon had another 15 pounds of muscle but I don't know that he will ever be the 240 pound guy back there with his body type. He will get dinged up - -heck it even happened to Derek Thompson last year. They really want to redshirt Means and I can't say that I blame them.

I look for them to use Dajon's rushing ability enough to keep the defenses honest but will not overly expose him.

If you think back to that 19 yard option run he had against SMU -- they are coaching him right now NOT to put his shoulder down and slide in that situation.

I also hope that Chico tones down the complexity of the offense. I am all about preparation but I sometimes wonder if Greer's issues were that his harddrive was overloaded with schemes and reads...

I expect them to be cautious about him running the ball... in fact -- I expect them to give him some of the stuff they gave Greer but hope that he can do more with it.

The issue with Dajon is not his talent -- he is immensely talented. It's more along the lines of his durability.

He has never taken a big hit and he has had some injury issues -- the most recent being last spring which led to him missing some key reps and the spring game itself...

Personally, I think injuries are a part of the game and you can't play around them. I do wish Dajon had another 15 pounds of muscle but I don't know that he will ever be the 240 pound guy back there with his body type. He will get dinged up - -heck it even happened to Derek Thompson last year. They really want to redshirt Means and I can't say that I blame them.

I look for them to use Dajon's rushing ability enough to keep the defenses honest but will not overly expose him.

If you think back to that 19 yard option run he had against SMU -- they are coaching him right now NOT to put his shoulder down and slide in that situation.

I also hope that Chico tones down the complexity of the offense. I am all about preparation but I sometimes wonder if Greer's issues were that his harddrive was overloaded with schemes and reads...

Nailed it.

• Upvote 2

Agree with a lot of this and worry about Dajon staying healthy the rest of the year. If we are up 35 at the half against Nichols St., pull him and give Greer some much needed work (after all, we will see him again this year if DW goes down).

I disagree with Greer's problem being an over complicated offense. Greer's problems are nerves (happiest feet I've seen while standing in the pocket in quite some time) and terrible mechanics. Over time, both could be fixed, but doubtful that fix comes this year.

Everyone pray DW is 1/4 of what we hope he is and that he stays healthy all year.

Edited by UNT90

Canales knows how to use dual-threat QBs.

How do these stats look?

Passing:

COMP ATT PCT YDS TD INT YDS/G

122 227 53.7 1,983 14 9 152.5

Rushing:

ATT YDS TD

175 772 9

They're the 2009 stats for B.J. Daniels @ USF, under Chico.

Um, they look okay? Should have ran more? Edited by the green rokemi
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree with a lot of this and worry about Dajon staying healthy the rest of the year. If we are up 35 at the half against Nichols St., pull him and give Greer some much needed work (after all, we will see him again this year if DW goes down).

I disagree with Greer's problem being an over complicated offense. Greer's problems are nerves (happiest feet I've seen while standing in the pocket in quite some time) and terrible mechanics. Over time, both could be fixed, but doubtful that fix comes this year.

Everyone pray DW is 1/4 of what we hope he is and that he stays healthy all year.

I couldn't agree more with Greer's happy feet, he is like a tiny dancer back there. I do disagree with you however on putting Greer in after DW gets enough reps. I would like to see McNulty get some more reps and maybe throw Greer in towards the end when the game is well I'm hand and there is no pressure what so ever for him and it's almost like he's at practice. As the island people say "No pressure, no problem"

Canales knows how to use dual-threat QBs.

How do these stats look?

Passing:

COMP ATT PCT YDS TD INT YDS/G

122 227 53.7 1,983 14 9 152.5

Rushing:

ATT YDS TD

175 772 9

They're the 2009 stats for B.J. Daniels @ USF, under Chico.

Dajon is not BJ Daniel. Not the same body type. BJ was like a RB playing QB. Dajon wouldn't survive 175 carries. All Dajon has to do is complete passes and this offense will function nicely. Maybe 4 or 5 called runs a game. Also I hope Dajon can complete over 60% of his passes

• Upvote 2

Dajon is not BJ Daniel. Not the same body type. BJ was like a RB playing QB. Dajon wouldn't survive 175 carries. All Dajon has to do is complete passes and this offense will function nicely. Maybe 4 or 5 called runs a game. Also I hope Dajon can complete over 60% of his passes

True on the # of runs. Maybe 4 or 5 called runs a game, but that won't stop him from turning it up the field if his called-pass-play breaks down.

Also, these are Daniels' stats from his Soph year (thus a good comparison for what we could hopefully get out of Dajon)... he got better, but these are a pretty good start.

If you look at Derek above, and remember his runs in general, they weren't QB Dives into the line. Those will likely get you messed up. Runs into space/out of bounds are great. They are, in effect, bootlegs.

I'd rather Dajon take a hit he sees coming than one he doesn't. That is to say bumps as he is running out of bounds are better than shots to the chest as he's firing a throw.

• Upvote 1

You guys act like a 200 lb quarterback isn't big... That's plenty big, could he add some muscle sure but. Uncle doesn't equate to durability, just FYI. Physical conditioning does, and I'm not arguing he's ready but to simply say he needs more weight then he'll be ready is silly. If you don't believe me, see what wintrich is doing with the strength program. More football performance skills than anything else.

I don't know, my uncle is pretty durable.

And to answer your statement, no, muscle doesn't lead to durability, but conditioning does.

Having the right combination of muscle and flexibility for body type is extremely important in avoiding injuries. DW's lack of conditioning is a huge concern going forward. Lets hope he stays upright for at least 6 games.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

DW what does he list at? He was 180lb and change last I heard not that I am current or correct? This where I wish he had been better on those workout reports last winter/spring.

Couldn't happy feet be a by product of over complicated, hell that could explain some maybe. The happy feet and form issues seems to be the same for all of Canales' pet QBs. That could be a description of DT most of his North Texas Career. DT never really got his form down and several times last year especially at beginnings of games he broke out the happy feet.