DAJON TO START SATURDAY

meangreen15

A captain of the team saying he brings "leadership" to the team. That's a pretty good endorsement!

Honestly, I thought Cyril's comments about leadership sounded almost empty (just my opinion), but he also sounded like he could fall asleep any second. On the other hand, I wouldn't expect upperclassmen to look to a 3rd string, red shirt freshman for leadership either.

"As far as leadership...he has qualities." And "...he brings a good arm and leadership aspects."

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I thought Cyril's comments about leadership sounded almost empty (just my opinion), but he also sounded like he could fall asleep any second. On the other hand, I wouldn't expect upperclassmen to look to a 3rd string, red shirt freshman for leadership either.

"As far as leadership...he has qualities." And "...he brings a good arm and leadership aspects."

Buzzwords.

And that's fine. That's what they should do.

• Upvote 1

Good move, Coach!

DW has been on campus and with the team going on 2 years. Lets not make Josh Greer chopped liver, though. After all, the great Derek Thompson didn't put it all together until his Year 5 and what a Year 5that was culminating before a record-breaking number of Mean Green fans on New Years Day in the Cotton Bowl.

GMG!

PS: When the Cotton Bowl seated 72,000 would we not have filled up almost half of that stadium with 36,000 like OU and UT fans used to do when the CB was that capacity?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think this is a good decision. But rather than shaking my cyber pom-poms over this, I'm scratching my head. If DW is/has been functioning all this time in practice at the level that he demonstrated in the LaTech game, then how in hell did Greer ever get out on the field in the first place? I was scratching my head about him during the spring. I rated three (possibly four) other QB's as looking better than Greer by the end of spring. When Greer got out there against Texas he looked just as awkward in ever aspect of Quarterbacking (footwork, throwing motion etc,) as he did in the spring.

What the hell is going on?

Hold this thought until after the IU game. If the offense outperforms the crap we've seen the 1st 3 weeks, we should question the reasoning to start Greer over DW.

Hold this thought until after the IU game. If the offense outperforms the crap we've seen the 1st 3 weeks, we should question the reasoning to start Greer over DW.

Not really. Remember, DW wasn't ready for the fall camp and missed both major fall scrimmages. The receivers haven't had much work with him yet and they don't know each other. By the IU game, I'm hopeful things will mostly click. But that's going to be after several weeks of DW practicing and paying attention. just because DW is ready by then doesnt mean he was ready for UT or SMU.

• Upvote 2

Seemed like the receivers were clicking with DW against LaTech even with the reduced practice/scrimmage time. So things can only improve between DW and his WRs from here - at least the WR will have more than a hope and a prayer that the QB can get them the ball now.

Mac really was in an untenable position after that 4th quarter performance by DW. His hand was forced unless he wanted to oversee a team rapidly falling out of contention in C-USA, a dwindling home attendance, a squad that would stop playing for him, and a couple of QBs whose confidence would be so shot they would never have recovered.

I just hope that DW doesn't go out and lay an egg now because we really would be in trouble then.

But it was the decision that had to be made and I'm glad for Mac, the program, and the team that it was made.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not really. Remember, DW wasn't ready for the fall camp and missed both major fall scrimmages. The receivers haven't had much work with him yet and they don't know each other.

If you gauge Carlos Harris' (who I consider to be this year's WR corps leader) Twitter account, he would paint a very different picture. He, and his father for that matter, have indicated that the recievers are most comfortable with Dajon.

• Upvote 2

If you gauge Carlos Harris' (who I consider to be this year's WR corps leader) Twitter account, he would paint a very different picture. He, and his father for that matter, have indicated that the recievers are most comfortable with Dajon.

Carlos Harris and family have been vocal about QB play, going back to last year too...

i hope they are satisfied with Dajon

• Upvote 3

Not really. Remember, DW wasn't ready for the fall camp and missed both major fall scrimmages. The receivers haven't had much work with him yet and they don't know each other. By the IU game, I'm hopeful things will mostly click. But that's going to be after several weeks of DW practicing and paying attention. just because DW is ready by then doesnt mean he was ready for UT or SMU.

True.