DAJON TO START SATURDAY

meangreen15

Sounded like to me he legitimately missed practice a little bit bc the birth of a child and rightfully so. It also sounds like he was there for the other practices but just didn't practice bc of a sore shoulder. Someone pointed this out that Mac calls missing practice is when you aren't in pads, but most translated that into he just didn't care to show up. Which wasn't really true. Glad he shined some light on that. Also, I thought voluntary workouts were just that, voluntary. Granted he must attend those from here on out throughout his career if he locks this job up.

It still sounds like he missed a significant amount of practice. I think at this point we are all thinking "yeah that's not good, but who is our other option?" I agree if Greer wasn't so awful we probably wouldn't have seen much of Dajon this season.

• Upvote 2

First I LOVE the fact that DW is starting. It is the right call and perfect timing with an FCS team then a bye. I just hope we chalk up his slow development to the fact he is still a young kid, because that has seemingly kept him down. From Brett's post.

McCarney said following UNT’s win over Louisiana Tech that Williams is the Mean Green’s most talented quarterback. He has long said that is the case, but maintained that Williams needed to mature and develop as a person and player to capitalize on his potential.

“He didn’t do the things he should have during voluntary workouts over the summer, which was workout, throw, take care of yourself,” McCarney said. “The two major scrimmages we had in fall camp — he didn’t take one snap. Now he is figuring it out.”

I definitely don't want to be that poo-poo poster and hope he is growing up especially now that he has a kid. Bottom line, the best QB on our roster will start Saturday!

• Upvote 2

After hearing McCarney give us more information, I'm surprised Dajon has played as much as he had.

It says a lot about the dire straights we are in at the QB position.

With DW's lack of conditioning, there is a very good chance that he doesn't stay healthy for more than a couple of games. Whoever is responsible for QB recruitment on this staff should have some really tough questions to answer at the end of the season.

No excuse for being this unprepared at the most important position on the field.

None.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

After hearing McCarney give us more information, I'm surprised Dajon has played as much as he had.

I tend to agree. I think we all have to realize that a coach runs the risk of losing his team in these situations. The talent level among G5 schools can be pretty flat. The successful coaches are the one's that get their teams to buy in and work their ass off. When you are rewarding a teammate with playing time that has not put in equal dedication...... well that can be a slippery slope.

With that said I don't know Dajon's situation and I am guessing no one here does. So I just hope that he is all in and proving himself to his teammates and coaches.

• Upvote 1

With that said I don't know Dajon's situation and I am guessing no one here does. So I just hope that he is all in and proving himself to his teammates and coaches.

Bingo. Him being all in is what I was trying to articulate. But you are right we don't know his situation but we have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I just think it speaks volumes that according to Vito Mac has maintained for some time that DW is the most talented QB on the roster but it basically took the worst offense in D1 for three weeks to force his hand. It's almost too coincidental that a few days after an abysmal offense performance DW is all of the sudden up to speed and in total control of the offense.

That being said - I still love the move. It had to happen.

I like that Mac announced this at the beginning of the week so the team knows who their in the huddle leader will be all week.

Again, we don't know what DW has, but we know it LITERALLY can't be worse than what we have been rolling out there.

I hope the offense is tailored to DW's skill set. I would hate to see DW forced into only being allowed to throw on 3rd and long.

Please, don't challenge "worse!" I think DW will be better, but let's not dare "worse" to prove itself!

This is such good news. I don't think I'll be able to get the game anywhere out here this week, but I'm already assuming we'll perform better against Indiana than we did against the Bulldogs so hopefully I'll be able to get that one.

It says a lot about the dire straights we are in at the QB position.

With DW's lack of conditioning, there is a very good chance that he doesn't stay healthy for more than a couple of games. Whoever is responsible for QB recruitment on this staff should have some really tough questions to answer at the end of the season.

No excuse for being this unprepared at the most important position on the field.

None.

Good post....and the bolded is definitely a worry. Looking back at last year, and knowing what we know now about our QB depth....how fortunate were we that DT didn't miss any significant time?!

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

Thanks to Coach Mac for giving us as much information as he did. And Thanks to Vito for getting it. I hope my next thanks is for Dajon leading us to a bowl win.

Yeah. Mac is in a tough spot for sure. I appreciate his honesty.

“we are going to rally behind him because our quarterback play hasn’t been close.”

I like the comment above in particular. He isn't singling anyone out by name. But, he is being brutally honest and he had to be because he was about to lose a lot of the fan base over this.

Yeah. Mac is in a tough spot for sure. I appreciate his honesty.

we are going to rally behind him because our quarterback play hasnt been close.

I like the comment above in particular. He isn't singling anyone out by name. But, he is being brutally honest and he had to be because he was about to lose a lot of the fan base over this.

The bigger concern is he probably would have lost the team over this had he stuck with Greer.

• Upvote 5