Tee Goree is ok and still on the team

eulessismore

Another poster and I were discussing this the past week as well. My take is/was that if we kept things the way they were then we should just redshirt Tee. However, if Dajon does fully takeover this next game then I would consider it. Even then, I'm still expecting him to take a redshirt after maintaining it through the first 3 games (1/4) of the season.

If Tee does redshirt then his 4 years will be 2015-2018. Not redshirting it would be 2014-2017. So the trade off by burning the redshirt would be the 2018 season in exchange for playing the rest of the 2014 season.

Without Dajon I think you just redshirt him and hope our qb situation is better in 2018 than now and that he'll be able to contribute more then than now, without hurting this year's team. With Dajon at qb you might have to consider that Tee would have Dajon for the rest of 2014 but not 2018. Plus, maybe he really helps give this team a little boost.

But yeah. Still thinking redshirt is likely but I would not be opposed to burning it now if Dajon is at qb and we would actually use Tee a decent amount.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

Another poster and I were discussing this the past week as well. My take is/was that if we kept things the way they were then we should just redshirt Tee. However, if Dajon does fully takeover this next game then I would consider it. Even then, I'm still expecting him to take a redshirt after maintaining it through the first 3 games (1/4) of the season.

If Tee does redshirt then his 4 years will be 2015-2018. Not redshirting it would be 2014-2017. So the trade off by burning the redshirt would be the 2018 season in exchange for playing the rest of the 2014 season.

Without Dajon I think you just redshirt him and hope our qb situation is better in 2018 than now and that he'll be able to contribute more then than now, without hurting this year's team. With Dajon at qb you might have to consider that Tee would have Dajon for the rest of 2014 but not 2018. Plus, maybe he really helps give this team a little boost.

But yeah. Still thinking redshirt is likely but I would not be opposed to burning it now if Dajon is at qb and we would actually use Tee a decent amount.

I like your detailed analysis going into 2018, but my concern is this: the current staff hasn't shown anything in terms of recruiting and developing quarterbacks (whatever anyone thinks of Derek Thompson, he was signed by the previous regime). I want Dajon to come in and succeed as much as anyone here, but I feel that, given the loss of two receivers we had verbals from for the last class, that the quality and depth at receiver will limit the passing game at some point this season.

All of this is making we wonder whether that good QB prospects, if they see a lack of perceived commitment to the passing game, would just see what looks like a dead end for a guy who has other options. A lot of this may depend on how the coaches see this season. If they see it as a true rebuilding season, they may want to preserve any who haven't played yet. If like many fans, they see last year as a chance to build momentum that hasn't been here for a decade, they may wish to consider rolling the dice, and show that we're the kind of place good players want to be. Like schools with a successful QB, they could bring in another good one.

• Upvote 1

Interesting comment from a former coach not associated at all with UNT who saw Greer's lack of performance Thursday night. He described his mechanics as terrible and said our QB coach should be fired. Called him a back foot thrower.

Do we have a QB coach, or is that Canales's responsibility in a dual role?

Interesting comment from a former coach not associated at all with UNT who saw Greer's lack of performance Thursday night. He described his mechanics as terrible and said our QB coach should be fired. Called him a back foot thrower.

Dual role.

Canales does both.

Canales does both.

Then he needs to fire himself.

This is what I thought and what I told my friend. His response was that I must be wrong, because even major high school programs have a dedicated QB coach.

Are we too cheap or is this just an indication of the amazingly low priority that Coach Mac puts on the QB position?

Edited by UNT90

The one thing that just now struck me about Greer is how much different he looked in the spring game. Whatever I've seen him doing in the two "real" games I've seen doesn't seem like what anybody would have taught him. I was really just hoping we could have a thread that was actually about Tee Goree, and whether (depending on Dajon being the starter), it would be a good idea for him to play this year.

I like your detailed analysis going into 2018, but my concern is this: the current staff hasn't shown anything in terms of recruiting and developing quarterbacks (whatever anyone thinks of Derek Thompson, he was signed by the previous regime). I want Dajon to come in and succeed as much as anyone here, but I feel that, given the loss of two receivers we had verbals from for the last class, that the quality and depth at receiver will limit the passing game at some point this season.

Not to side track your point with facts, but don't forget that Mike Canales (responsible for QBs) was/is part of both regimes.

The one thing that just now struck me about Greer is how much different he looked in the spring game. Whatever I've seen him doing in the two "real" games I've seen doesn't seem like what anybody would have taught him. I was really just hoping we could have a thread that was actually about Tee Goree, and whether (depending on Dajon being the starter), it would be a good idea for him to play this year.

Made another thread for QB coach talk.

• Upvote 1

All of this is making we wonder whether that good QB prospects, if they see a lack of perceived commitment to the passing game, would just see what looks like a dead end for a guy who has other options. A lot of this may depend on how the coaches see this season. If they see it as a true rebuilding season, they may want to preserve any who haven't played yet. If like many fans, they see last year as a chance to build momentum that hasn't been here for a decade, they may wish to consider rolling the dice, and show that we're the kind of place good players want to be. Like schools with a successful QB, they could bring in another good one.

Yeah, if Dajon does get the job then I'm perfectly fine burning that redshirt off Tee, as long as he gets solid PT and gets the ball.

I'm hoping Chico keeps calling those zone reads and opens up the offense with Dajon. Because he will. He did on Thursday. That would really help out with receiver and qb recruiting. Like you said, if we keep going with this offense that has us at the bottom of the FBS in passing then no qb recruit with good guidance would choose us over any good schools.

• Upvote 1

Not to side track your point with facts, but don't forget that Mike Canales (responsible for QBs) was/is part of both regimes.

Remember, I said "recruited and developed". My research indicates that Derek Thompson committed verbally to UNT on December 7, 2008. Canales was hired by Dodge in 2010. However, we can take that to the new "dedicated QB coach" thread.

Yeah, if Dajon does get the job then I'm perfectly fine burning that redshirt off Tee, as long as he gets solid PT and gets the ball.

I'm hoping Chico keeps calling those zone reads and opens up the offense with Dajon. Because he will. He did on Thursday. That would really help out with receiver and qb recruiting. Like you said, if we keep going with this offense that has us at the bottom of the FBS in passing then no qb recruit with good guidance would choose us over any good schools.

I'd kinda like to see how our existing receivers would do with Dajon at the helm before going all in and burning red shirts.

I'd kinda like to see how our existing receivers would do with Dajon at the helm before going all in and burning red shirts.

Well, it is that "all in" thing I'm suggesting they may want to consider, since our passing game has been this dismal so far. I can see the point of seeing what he can do with "our existing receivers" if we're trying to see what Dajon can do given the same tools as the other two quarterbacks with pt this year. However, I'm among the many here who think they've seen all they need to know in that regard. To me, our current passing game, is like having a Windows computer with a "Vista" operating system and thinking maybe you should just buy a copy of "Windows 8" (I managed to find a PC with "7" not long ago and like it fine), and install it on that old computer running Vista. Lo and behold, that old machine just doesn't have the resources it takes to run a modern operating system. I do like our current receivers, but honestly, it's hard to judge their strengths at this point. However, if there is some thought given to playing Goree this season, I'd prefer it was done against Nicholls State rather than Indiana (which put out 580 yards and 39 points yesterday, IIRC. I'm just saying, we may just be so far behind where we need to be, it may be time to go "all in", roll the dice, or whatever you want to call it. This overly conservative appoach is killing our spirit.

• Upvote 1