My Guess At The Greer Decision (And Why It Isn't As Easy As Some T

MeanGreenHoops

No, but he's been supporting Mean Green football since before your dad was born. Have you ever considered trying to make your point in respectful manner? It will work wonders.

He also doesn't understand sarcasm either. Dallas Green knows that they weren't tired but the defense seemed to quit in the second quarter after a good first quarter.

He's also one of our larger donors and has been doing so for close to 40 years. He damn well deserves a little respect. You don't have to agree and can still be respectful.

If the D is tired they need to get into better shape?? You must not have ever played football, on any level, ever. Punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, fumble was our drive chart to open the game. All of the punts were 3 and outs except for ONE. And it was a 7 play 28 yard possession that ended in a punt. Please quit talking if you don't know what you're taking about. Are you Greers dad or something? You've been trying to point the finger at everything except the problem since Thursday night.

Talk about not knowing what your talking about. If we only had 10,000 more fans just like DG our problems would be solved.

Rick

Rick

I think we are blowing our chance to become a real program this season if we dont try to do everything in our power to right the ship. it seems to be a character thing with mac in that he stays zoomed too far into the nintricasies of how he wants things done. when you boil it down, the qbs job is to get the ball to the play makers on O. Dajon may not do it exactly the way it was drawn up on the white board but he gets the ball there somehow. the truth is, nothing happens exactly how you intend it too, but you have to go out there and do something positive anyway. mac and canales' approach (grouping them because who knows which is actually calling the shots) seems to be: do it exactly like this even if it doesn't work. If you don't, then i dont trust you to play... which is BS!

Any military historian and military planner can tell you that the best plan never survives first contact with your enemy. All that matters is the ball gets moved - which under Greer it doesn't, and under Williams it does. That should be all you have to see to make that decision a really easy one.

I've posted this here a few times. I always go back to what Herm Edwards said when he was coaching the Jets in '02. His teams season was on the verge of going under, his offense was not performing well, & defense was starting to struggle. What did he do? He benched seasoned vet Testaverde for a young unknown in Pennington. Why? He said he couldn't bench the entire team, but knew if he made a change at the most important position on the field, it might be enough to change the entire season. Jets ended up going 8-3 with him, made the playoffs, and won in wildcard weekend...

Edited by Got5onIt

If the D is tired they need to get into better shape?? You must not have ever played football, on any level, ever. Punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, fumble was our drive chart to open the game. All of the punts were 3 and outs except for ONE. And it was a 7 play 28 yard possession that ended in a punt. Please quit talking if you don't know what you're taking about. Are you Greers dad or something? You've been trying to point the finger at everything except the problem since Thursday night.

I played, my 2 sons played, my grandson is playing, and I was watching NT football before you were even a gleam in your father's eye! You don' t have a captain get called twice for pass interference and get beaten badly for a TD and say the poor defense is just tired. I'm not defending Greer or MINI MAC as there is plenty of blame to go around like an o line that can't run or pass block and gets penalties by the score!

Well I am glad that you have been following North Texas for so long, no sarcasm. But a horrid offense always results in bad defense. You can only give a decent offense so many chances in such a quick time before they find a rhythm. They held their ground well until they started getting physically and mentally drained.

I played, my 2 sons played, my grandson is playing, and I was watching NT football before you were even a gleam in your father's eye! You don' t have a captain get called twice for pass interference and get beaten badly for a TD and say the poor defense is just tired. I'm not defending Greer or MINI MAC as there is plenty of blame to go around like an o line that can't run or pass block and gets penalties by the score!

Agree with most of what you say, but expecting a 6 or 7 man OL to constantly beat 8 and 9 guys in the box who never need to back off because there is not a passing threat is just nonsensical. La. Tech sold out against the run and we never made them pay.

I do agree that the whole"defense got tired" crowd is a joke. 21 points by halftime. Then unable to stop La. Tech after a halftime rest.

Defenses don't get tired in 1 qtr of play. We came up against a really good QB and an offense that showed imagination, 2 things we don't have offensively. And they beat the dog out of us. Plain and simple? This isn't last year's defense.

In the 2nd half La Techs offense was spotted field position on our 2 and 12 yard line. We are not the steel curtain or the 85 Bears, but we have a capable defense. In the first half our D held the same offense on it's first 4 drives to open the game. Then after our plethora of punts kept happening and they started to break down our D. The 2nd half, even with Greer in, we moved the ball a little and our D looked better, hence the one real scoring drive in the 2nd half.

In the 2nd half La Techs offense was spotted field position on our 2 and 12 yard line. We are not the steel curtain or the 85 Bears, but we have a capable defense. In the first half our D held the same offense on it's first 4 drives to open the game. Then after our plethora of punts kept happening and they started to break down our D. The 2nd half, even with Greer in, we moved the ball a little and our D looked better, hence the one real scoring drive in the 2nd half.

Football is a 4 qtr game. La. Tech made adjustments in the second qtr offensively and we never readjusted defensively, or we just couldn't stop them.

They could have scored 56 if they left Skokol and their 1st team offense in there.

I know you don't want to hear this because it doesn't fit your agenda, but the loss to La. Tech was a loss in every facet of the game. They imposed their will, offensively and defensively. That's what happens when you get blown out.

Edited by UNT90

243 yards passing and 98 rush yards on 30 attempts is not really an imposing will. They were opportunistic. Played field position with us and turned our 2 turnovers into 14 points. Sokol wasn't pulled til mid 4th and they were still trying to sling the football around until he got pulled. I don't have an agenda, but I will agree with you that their O adjusted to our D when we were stacking the box to stop KD. Difference was they had a capable QB and we didn't. So they started throwing and we didn't adjust well to that. We kept playing man with our corners with soft coverage.

• Upvote 1

243 yards passing and 98 rush yards on 30 attempts is not really an imposing will. They were opportunistic. Played field position with us and turned our 2 turnovers into 14 points. Sokol wasn't pulled til mid 4th and they were still trying to sling the football around until he got pulled. I don't have an agenda, but I will agree with you that their O adjusted to our D when we were stacking the box to stop KD. Difference was they had a capable QB and we didn't. So they started throwing and we didn't adjust well to that. We kept playing man with our corners with soft coverage.

243 yards passing and 98 rushing is damn impressive on the road with your 1st team playing a little under 3 qtrs.

Football is a 4 qtr game. La. Tech made adjustments in the second qtr offensively and we never readjusted defensively, or we just couldn't stop them.

They could have scored 56 if they left Skokol and their 1st team offense in there.

I know you don't want to hear this because it doesn't fit your agenda, but the loss to La. Tech was a loss in every facet of the game. They imposed their will, offensively and defensively. That's what happens when you get blown out.

So you do kind of agree with my guess after all :)

Something very disappointing in the game. When the offense went right down and scored to make it 28-7. No it wasn't a game yet, but La. Tech went right down the field on the defense and scored. This was early in the 3rd. The offense was then driving again for another potential score. Caldwell fumbled and La. Tech returned it 60 whatever yards and ball game.

I don't think we were going to make it a game, because they were just better than us, but there were a lot of others to blame as well.

And I think I know what you're going to say, well we did nothing on offense in the entire 1st half. And you're right, my point is there are other things that need quite a bit of work too.

La Tech reminded me of UTSA last year. They made adjustments and quick passing that moved the ball. The difference in why this game wasn't closer was, our defense kept giving up 7 and the penalties and fumbles made it not close.

I still think Dajon should get his shot now, but unless other things improve it won't matter a whole lot against better teams.

So you do kind of agree with my guess after all :)

Something very disappointing in the game. When the offense went right down and scored to make it 28-7. No it wasn't a game yet, but La. Tech went right down the field on the defense and scored. This was early in the 3rd. The offense was then driving again for another potential score. Caldwell fumbled and La. Tech returned it 60 whatever yards and ball game.

I don't think we were going to make it a game, because they were just better than us, but there were a lot of others to blame as well.

And I think I know what you're going to say, well we did nothing on offense in the entire 1st half. And you're right, my point is there are other things that need quite a bit of work too.

La Tech reminded me of UTSA last year. They made adjustments and quick passing that moved the ball. The difference in why this game wasn't closer was, our defense kept giving up 7 and the penalties and fumbles made it not close.

I still think Dajon should get his shot now, but unless other things improve it won't matter a whole lot against better teams.

You got your facts a little mixed up. The fumble, return to the 2, and subsequent La. Tech TD made it 28-0, not 28-7. We were never less than 21 down in the 2nd half.