My Guess At The Greer Decision (And Why It Isn't As Easy As Some T

MeanGreenHoops

So none of us on here know what is going on since coach won't really tell us and Vito can't find out so here's my guess.

First - I think the coaching staff looked at the team this year and saw of ton of youth and expected a lot of mistakes. This has been proven true in the 1st three games. If you ignore the QB play for a minute and look at everything else there have been a lot of mistakes. More than we've seen in a few years. Penalties, fumbles, just so many mistakes that even sometimes when we make a good play we blow it with a mistake.

Second - Mac hates turnovers so his inclination is to find a QB who takes care of the ball.

Third - Dajon in the limited time we've seen of him shows that he will improvise. This would have been amazing on last years team, but on a team that is young and makes a lot of mistakes, plus with a coach who prefers a QB who takes care of the ball, made it unlikely he was going to win the job.

So that formula makes this decision difficult. I don't mean difficult for those of us who type on this board, difficult for the coaches. I think if the team was playing well in all phases except QB (like last year) they would have made the change by now.

With a team that is learning how to play, adding a wildcard at QB is a lot tougher decision.

I think the reason that we are already hearing things like Dajon is the most talented QB we have and someone needs to make plays, means that despite the original plan, the coaches are running out of patience with Greer. It's not as fast as most would like, but I think it's coming.

Greer after 3 games is still pretty lost. I expect DW to play more than Greer against Nicholls and do pretty well. I then expect an up-and-down rest of the season because that's what you're going to get with him.

Unfortunately, the safe route coach chose is not working out. But, for it to get us to a bowl game, there are a lot of other things on the team that need to clean up as well. Either way I'll be there. Hope you will be too.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

Your theory assumes that Greer won't turn the ball over and DW will. Your theory also assumes the coaching staff is willing to trade zero passing offense for fewer interceptions.

You theory is so flawed in so many ways.

This may have been a hard decision before the season, but it has become an easy decision after ONE FOURTH of the season has played out.

If this decision isn't made this week, we are headed for 3-9 and the ciaching staff will lose this team. Plain and simple.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Unless or until Williams shows that he can't take care of the ball - something both Greer and McNulty struggled with versus UT in particular - then I think that ball protection is a dumb excuse. When you're consistently punting from within your own 20 field position is going to suck and is as good as a TO. More than that, regular three-and-outs will only gas a defense that will lose motivation and concentration because it's human nature.

Beyond that, the WRs will begin giving up because they don't trust Greer to get them the ball. Williams can do that, as he showed on Thursday night.

I get that you want to stick with your first-choice, but I think now Greer "earned" the job by default than out-and-out winning the job over DW. Given a level playing field, and in a fair world, DW would have started against UT.

Time for change... before it's too late. I really hope it doesn't take being played close by Nicholls State to make the coaching staff realize that they're going down a blind alley with Greer.

• Upvote 4

Your theory assumes that Greer won't turn the ball over and DW will. Your theory also assumes the coaching staff is willing to trade zero passing offense for fewer interceptions.

You theory is so flawed in so many ways.

This may have been a hard decision before the season, but it has become an easy decision after ONE FOURTH of the season has played out.

If this decision isn't made this week, we are headed for 3-9 and the ciaching staff will lose this team. Plain and simple.

Exactly. Greer & McNulty have at least four TOs between them while Williams has 0. Should count for something, especially as Williams has piled up the yards as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Again, while there are a lot of errors from many... I get to thinking that a key thing is simply chemistry. Greer lacks chemistry with his wideouts and his comfort with his o line. In the limited time of Williams, I see the exact opposite.

Regardless of anything else, Williams looks comfortable on the field and Greer doesn't. That has been obvious to every announcer who has covered our games. Second,

Williams appears to have a much better arm than either of the other QB's and can hit receivers on the run, without throwing wounded ducks. These facts, alone, ought to carry

tremendous weight with the coaches.

• Upvote 2

So none of us on here know what is going on since coach won't really tell us and Vito can't find out so here's my guess.

First - I think the coaching staff looked at the team this year and saw of ton of youth and expected a lot of mistakes. This has been proven true in the 1st three games. If you ignore the QB play for a minute and look at everything else there have been a lot of mistakes. More than we've seen in a few years. Penalties, fumbles, just so many mistakes that even sometimes when we make a good play we blow it with a mistake.

Second - Mac hates turnovers so his inclination is to find a QB who takes care of the ball.

Third - Dajon in the limited time we've seen of him shows that he will improvise. This would have been amazing on last years team, but on a team that is young and makes a lot of mistakes, plus with a coach who prefers a QB who takes care of the ball, made it unlikely he was going to win the job.

So that formula makes this decision difficult. I don't mean difficult for those of us who type on this board, difficult for the coaches. I think if the team was playing well in all phases except QB (like last year) they would have made the change by now.

With a team that is learning how to play, adding a wildcard at QB is a lot tougher decision.

I think the reason that we are already hearing things like Dajon is the most talented QB we have and someone needs to make plays, means that despite the original plan, the coaches are running out of patience with Greer. It's not as fast as most would like, but I think it's coming.

Greer after 3 games is still pretty lost. I expect DW to play more than Greer against Nicholls and do pretty well. I then expect an up-and-down rest of the season because that's what you're going to get with him.

Unfortunately, the safe route coach chose is not working out. But, for it to get us to a bowl game, there are a lot of other things on the team that need to clean up as well. Either way I'll be there. Hope you will be too.

I would argue that some of the extra defensive mistakes and penalties are a direct result of our quarterbacking problems. We have a good defense, but when they spend most of the game on the field, they get tired. Of course they will make more mistakes. Plus, players on defense are trying to make something happen, because the O can't move the ball. Yes, we are making too many mistakes, but I believe at least some of those on defense are a result of our QB play.

I see no reason why Williams shouldn't see meaningful time against Nicholls. We have to have a real passing game by the time we head to Indiana. If we don't, I think we are in for a very long season.

• Upvote 2

I think we are blowing our chance to become a real program this season if we dont try to do everything in our power to right the ship. it seems to be a character thing with mac in that he stays zoomed too far into the nintricasies of how he wants things done. when you boil it down, the qbs job is to get the ball to the play makers on O. Dajon may not do it exactly the way it was drawn up on the white board but he gets the ball there somehow. the truth is, nothing happens exactly how you intend it too, but you have to go out there and do something positive anyway. mac and canales' approach (grouping them because who knows which is actually calling the shots) seems to be: do it exactly like this even if it doesn't work. If you don't, then i dont trust you to play... which is BS!

• Upvote 3

I would argue that some of the extra defensive mistakes and penalties are a direct result of our quarterbacking problems. We have a good defense, but when they spend most of the game on the field, they get tired. Of course they will make more mistakes. Plus, players on defense are trying to make something happen, because the O can't move the ball. Yes, we are making too many mistakes, but I believe at least some of those on defense are a result of our QB play.

I see no reason why Williams shouldn't see meaningful time against Nicholls. We have to have a real passing game by the time we head to Indiana. If we don't, I think we are in for a very long season.

I agree with all, but if the D is tired, they need to get into better shape. Instead I saw them quit cold in the second quarter against La Tech.

• Downvote 2

If the D is tired they need to get into better shape?? You must not have ever played football, on any level, ever. Punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, fumble was our drive chart to open the game. All of the punts were 3 and outs except for ONE. And it was a 7 play 28 yard possession that ended in a punt. Please quit talking if you don't know what you're taking about. Are you Greers dad or something? You've been trying to point the finger at everything except the problem since Thursday night.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If the D is tired they need to get into better shape?? You must not have ever played football, on any level, ever. Punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, fumble was our drive chart to open the game. All of the punts were 3 and outs except for ONE. And it was a 7 play 28 yard possession that ended in a punt. Please quit talking if you don't know what you're taking about. Are you Greers dad or something? You've been trying to point the finger at everything except the problem since Thursday night.

• Downvote 9

I thought I was your dad???

So confused.

• Upvote 1

Man, you've got all the answers don't you? And by the age of 25 or so, I'm guessing? Clearly one of our school's greatest minds.

Shouldn't you be on Schilleci's twitter page calling him a piece of shit for being arrested?

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1