Greer vs DW

H-towngreen

The only profession where you go from Hero to Zero in a matter of a game.

BS. Plenty of professions are harshly judged on their last performance. Most of them are compensated pretty well for that level of scrutiny, being a college coach is no different.

Mac makes more than most airline pilots and I can assure you he is judged less harshly than they are for a disastrous performance.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

What I can't tell from watching Dajon play last night was his mastery of the play book. All this talk about maturity and missing practices leads me to believe that he hasn't grasped everything yet.

That said, at this point, I have no problem dumbing down the offense to get Dajon in there. Just not sure how sustainable that would be.

• Upvote 3

I haven't followed the QB issue up till now, but I'm wondering, was Greer good in high school? I saw "Johnny Football's" first performance with Cleveland Browns and that wasn't impressive either even with all the hype. So at the change of level, a lot of good QB's don't look too hot when they start playing at the new level. Having said that, Greer didn't look like he knew how to throw a pass, of any distance. Please tell me he was good while he was in high school and it's just turned out that college is just too fast for him. In addition to just having really poor aim, he spent WAY too much time just standing there or telegraphing his pass well in advance. I find myself shouting at the TV "Throw the ball!!!!" Anyone would get flushed out holding onto the ball that long.

• Upvote 1

BS. Plenty of professions are harshly judged on their last performance. Most of them are compensated pretty well for that level of scrutiny, being a college coach is no different.

Mac makes more than most airline pilots and I can assure you he is judged less harshly than they are for a disastrous performance.

This is NOT a comment on the QB situation. But a disastrous performance is the difference between life or death for an airline pilot and his passengers and crew. Yes, a disastrous performance by a college coach is judged less harshly but to hear some of the people on the this board, I am not so sure. By the way, the sun did come up this morning.

• Upvote 1

By the way, the sun did come up this morning.

Not sure where you live, but I woke up to rain and I haven't seen the sun come out all day.

I'm not saying Coaching and QB play are ENTIRELY to blame, but it's a little too convenient to just be a coincidence, isn't it?

tinfoil+hat.jpg

I think Dajon has a chance of starting against N. State. I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of pressure on Mac by fans, AD, recievers, and etc.. to put Dajon into the game. You have to also think that the offensive line is going to get tired of protecting Greer for extended period of times just to have him over throw a reciever or throw it to another team.

Edited by Andrew

What I can't tell from watching Dajon play last night was his mastery of the play book. All this talk about maturity and missing practices leads me to believe that he hasn't grasped everything yet.

That said, at this point, I have no problem dumbing down the offense to get Dajon in there. Just not sure how sustainable that would be.

I am with you. I would rather have a kid that can execute a playbook for dummies then another QB that can't complete a pass or even go through his progressions from a big boy playbook. Just saying
  • Upvote 1

How big is our playbook during games? No way in hell they're running the entire playbook, judging by what we've seen the last 3 weeks.

Dajon is 10 of 13 for 153 yards. I believe he has also rushed for around 50 yards. All of that in just mere minutes of game time in only two games.

Greer has played in three games and is 24 or 50 for 171 yards and two INTS.

You would think someone would simply look at the numbers and realize who should start....

• Upvote 2

Dajon is 10 of 13 for 153 yards. I believe he has also rushed for around 50 yards. All of that in just mere minutes of game time in only two games.

Greer has played in three games and is 24 or 50 for 171 yards and two INTS.

You would think someone would simply look at the numbers and realize who should start..

Macs time here tells a story of not going off game performance, but off how well they look in practice. Think back

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Nothing personal against Greer. He seems like a nice guy and eager to perform well. But let's face it...he is nowhere near ready to play at this level. While Dajon may be playing during garbage time, the reason everyone is clamoring for him is because he shows qualities that don't necessarily depend on the level of competition he's facing. He shows confidence and a calm demeanor. He's way more athletic. And last but not least, his arm strength and accuracy has looked far superior to that of the other QBs we've put out there. No under-thrown balls.

• Upvote 3

Quote from another post: UNT ranked No. 123 out of 124 teams nationally heading into last night’s game in passing offense with an average of 61.5 yards a game.

All I can say is "Wow."

After spending about 20 apathetic years, I came back into the fold about 4 or 5 seasons ago and have enthusiatically embraced finally moving in the right direction. I find it very alarming that for probably the last several years, one of the greatest sources of angst among the faithful is regarding that all important position of QB. It is beyond sad that our program is still searching for someone,anyone to step up. DT finally performed adequately his final year... even exceptional at times, but certainly not of the caliber of someone that might win games with his ability, rather than just performing at a level of playing that will not make mistakes and lose games for you. How can your coaching staff and recruiting dept. not hit on a couple of guys that can be groomed along the way with actual playing time so that when their time comes, they are ready to step up and perform? I am not looking for a top of the line blue chipper- our program is not of the level to achieve that. I cannot fathom what I have witnessed the last 3 games. I hope I am wrong, but I pray we get to a least see what DW has to offer. My gut tells me that the only way that happens next week is if Greer has 4 or 5 series where we don't move the ball. I hate to say it but the only way we may have a chance is if we somehow find ourselves down by 14 early! If its a close game and the defense is keeping us in it, my fear is that we get more of the same. I hope I am wrong. Maybe DW is not the answer, but from what I have seen so far he deserves the chance.

• Upvote 6

That is an insane proposition. I'm not a plumber, but if I hire one and he hooks up my toilet to flush directly into my shower I shouldn't criticize him?

We pay a lot of money for a coach to win football games. We pay for it. Do you under stand now? He is providing a service. I may not know the exact details of how the servicing is done, but I know the results I want.

Up until now I have been very happy with this staff. Last year I though DW would be a better option for us, but the coaches had other ideas and because they were able to still deliver wins I didn't care. This year, making the same mistake looks like it will lead to a 8-9 loss season. Unacceptable.

Dumbest analogy ever.

My problem with playing dajon before he fixes the off the field issues is the message it sends to the other players. Basically, you can do whatever you want and still play. You don't need to follow all the team rules, take practices seriously and set good examples for the younger guys. Fuck off all you want and suffer no consequences. I have a feeling this might be mac's dilema.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I agree that we shouldn't be too hard on Greer when this is an obvious coaching issue. He seems to be getting a little better as time goes on, but let him be the mop-up guy and develop at that pace. I don't want to put down the guy who's doing his job and doing his best just because his best isn't good enough. The fact is he's definitely not ready to be in this situation and shouldn't be thrust into it until he is ready.

• Upvote 1

My gut tells me that the only way that happens next week is if Greer has 4 or 5 series where we don't move the ball.

If they allow that to happen again we may not lose to Nicholls but lord help us against the rest of C-USA. The UTEP, UAB, Rice, FAU and of course UTSA fans are licking their chops. You can't have such piss poor offense and expect your defense to hold everyone every game.

First of all I'm 5'11" 185. I have never played QB in my life nor will I. So stfu with that BS already. Secondly, I think the fan base was appreciative of the 9 wins last year, but everyone knows that our O won us approximately 1 game last year (Ball St), but even then the D had to put the clamps down to enable the comeback possible. Our O has sucked for what looks like will be every year Mac has been here. No one is praising this man. Lastly, if DW locks down the starting position this year and has even decent success Greer will not/should not touch the field ever again bc DW will develop into something special given the chance. GMG

• Upvote 3